"Lost" Q+A with Linkin Park on Discord

PeppePark

8 minutes ago, bruh009 said:

Depends on what you consider "quality", the production value and amount of work put on ATS is miles ahead HT and Meteora. One track alone, like "When they come for me" has more audio tracks than 3 or 4 Meteora songs combined. And this wont change, even if you dont like ATS (and thats fine).

"Quality" is not just what you like buddy.

I don't care how many audios it have. If the production value and amount of work put on ATS is miles ahead HT and Meteora, then why it haven't succes like HT and Meteora? Because it does not depend if one song has more audio tracks in it. Less is sometimes more. It's like when a chef cooks food and spends half a day decorating the plate and the food still tastes like shit at the end.

9 minutes ago, Hybrider said:

I don't care how many audios it have. If the production value and amount of work put on ATS is miles ahead HT and Meteora, then why it haven't succes like HT and Meteora? Because it does not depend if one song has more audio tracks in it. Less is sometimes more. It's like when a chef cooks food and spends half a day decorating the plate and the food still tastes like shit at the end.

I don't see why there's a debate about this happening right now lol

Commercial success isn't an objective measure of quality. I love Meteora, but if you're implying that ATS is like a plate of fancy looking food that actually "tastes like shit" then it can't be overstated how much I disagree with you on that.

1 hour ago, Hybrider said:

Maybe because HT and Meteora fans are the "rock" guys that only care about "rock" and guitar and noise and somehow ended up with a LP album, even that 80% of the songs are a mix between rock/rap/hip-hop/pop songs, but somehow they ignore everything and aparently only listen to guitars and screams. Thats why they hate everything after meteora, because there are no guitars and screams. Just like you :)

14 minutes ago, capoofan3 said:

Anyone here manage to hear Joe and what he said? I was unable to hear him for most of the Q&A because of how many people were in the Q&A at the time that Discord bugged out and most couldn't hear (including me).

here's the full q&a of meteora|20.

Hearing the guys in real time go on youtube for the TTTAMP clip and discuss it during this Q&A is so awesome. A small snippet that has been played over and over and enhanced by the Linkin Park fan CSI team 1 billion times gets clarified in about 2 minutes by the band. Nearly 20 years since this thread: https://www.lpassociation.com/forum/threads/lyrics-from-an-unreleased-song.3338/ 

21 hours ago, YRQRM0 said:

Finally heard Joe say in this QA that they don't particularly care for the spatial audio mixes of old albums. So glad they're not pushing that gimmick personally, it's so dumb

It may be dumb for daily music consumption, but it totally isn't when you have a nice surround setup at home for listening to music. Especially ATS could have huge potential for an Atmos mix.

On 2/11/2023 at 2:00 PM, Rasputin 93 said:

It may be dumb for daily music consumption, but it totally isn't when you have a nice surround setup at home for listening to music. Especially ATS could have huge potential for an Atmos mix.

I agree w you, I'd be happy to have a surround mix for a quality surround setup space that the band liked.

But the way Apple and Dolby market it make no sense to me. Most people would get orders of magnitude better sound by just having better speakers/headphones, and Atmos is never gonna translate to retail spaces, the beach, bars, the club...so stereo mixing for such spaces will continue to be an art in and of itself that takes years to master. Their marketing makes it sound like the future of everything will be Atmos when it's just not imo. 

Doesn't mean it won't work ofc. I know people proud of their surround setups and then they'll demo it with YouTube and an all stereo setting on their amp, not even realizing the difference from an actual Atmos source

On 2/11/2023 at 2:58 AM, Hybrider said:

Ask any pop star what their favorite lp record is and they'll all respond a thousand sun's. Hybrid theory yes a good record but it was a spur of the moment thing, Linkin Park is a good enough band I mean this by there were hundreds of underground and obscure bands that could fold them 10 times yet didn't last not because they werent good, no. Lp knew the industry and had the right backing from the get go I.e Jeff blue. Take dry cell, better than lp yet didn't last 1 day because they asked for more from the get go, something Linkin has never done up until minutes to Midnight, hell even delson was an intern attorney for Jeff during xero, they know the politics in the industry. They knew how to play the game and waited till they were big enough. To the initial question, a thousand sun's is without a doubt their most cherished effort and is the favorite record of the band members, even they admit it, it's a record you either love or hate, I hate it but I admit it's superiority. Mine would be minutes to Midnight and then living things. You'd be a fool to say otherwise just because you want another hybrid theory record. Tell me a time where Linkin Park wasn't a meme, hybrid theory = in the end 

Meteora = numb

Minutes or midnight = what I've done

Living things = burn it down

And we know the other 2 records that were underwhelming despite no matter what anyone says, only one was respected enough to not be a parody in and out of itself and that's a thousand sun's. 

14 minutes ago, Hybrider said:

Yes, because it is pop shit. There are only 2 good songs. Wretches And Kings and Blackout. Other sucks.

You're confusing your personal taste with music quality. What a coincidence that all the music you like is good and the music you don't is bad. You don't like it? That's great, nobody obliged you to that, but respect other people's opinions. 

Like said @GroundXero above, LP are a very smart band. Besides the musical talent, they adapted to the game better than most of its peers. An album like MTM in 2003 would have been obliterated. Instead, they introduced small hints of experimentation in Meteora, and new how to deal with their label. For starters, we've all heard these days Mike saying how they were trying to find a balance in Meteora between what was expected from them and their experimental side. Hell, when he said in the Stern interview "We told the label to have the first two singles, but eventually BTH has to be a single, trust us". Even a big band like Anthrax shoots themselves in the feet in the 90's for not choosing the right timing in the singles. 

Even after ATS they knew that, yeah, it's great to do wherever they want, but they can't get lost in the weirdness externally. What do they do? They release Burn it Down, a banger that is totally what's expected from them to gain both new audiences and the ones that runaway with MTM and ATS.

Yes, sometimes those outings go wrong (Recharged anybody?). But let's not be naive, you don't stay at the top of the game just making good music.

1 hour ago, Hybrider said:

Yes, because it is pop shit. There are only 2 good songs. Wretches And Kings and Blackout. Other sucks.

You know Mike was featured in handsome boys modeling school their sophomore track "rock n roll pt 2" or commonly referred to as "can't breathe" by Chester is just about that. You people think rock and roll by just when guitars come into the mix when it was the drum and beats that got the rhythm moving and get you dancing or rocking in this term. They said this not me so the people you "defend" hasn't not once agreed with you even in that 2000s albums so you better make a good argument rather than personal assumptions. Though I admire your honesty, most just play the two faced fan caring about oml when in fact they already shat on it when it was first released. So thank you it's hard finding true fans in this medium. 

On 2/17/2023 at 9:20 PM, bloodbath said:

You're confusing your personal taste with music quality. What a coincidence that all the music you like is good and the music you don't is bad. You don't like it? That's great, nobody obliged you to that, but respect other people's opinions. 

That’s really a problem, I mean you grow up and need to realize that your music taste is not law 😂 I mean I love 30STM and can’t stand Greend Day but I don’t act like Mars last album should have won a Grammy and iginoring that Green Day is one of the most influencial rock acts of the last 20 years 

2 minutes ago, STRANGELOVE92 said:

That’s really a problem, I mean you grow up and need to realize that your music taste is not law 😂 I mean I love 30STM and can’t stand Greend Day but I don’t act like Mars last album should have won a Grammy and iginoring that Green Day is one of the most influencial rock acts of the last 20 years 

Exactly, you're not going to be the lesser of a fan just because you know that everything that your favourite bands do isn't always good. I can't stand One More Light five years later....

31 minutes ago, bloodbath said:

Exactly, you're not going to be the lesser of a fan just because you know that everything that your favourite bands do isn't always good. I can't stand One More Light five years later....

Yeah I totally get it, I’m on the opposite side because I like OML more than MTM and THP, but none of us is wrong or right, this is taste. There’s quality yeah, I’d never say that Sorry for Now is better than Pink Floyd lol, even tho I listened to Sorry for Now more than I did with 90% of Pink Floyd songs 

3 hours ago, STRANGELOVE92 said:

Yeah I totally get it, I’m on the opposite side because I like OML more than MTM and THP, but none of us is wrong or right, this is taste. There’s quality yeah, I’d never say that Sorry for Now is better than Pink Floyd lol, even tho I listened to Sorry for Now more than I did with 90% of Pink Floyd songs 

The best thing about LP is "you don't like this record? You'll have another chance with next one"