Meteora (20th Anniversary Edition) | Out April 7, 2023

BeardyWilderness

I wonder if were gonna get a new LPU CD this year. It's been a long damn time since we got one and I feel like with Meteora 20 and everything, a new LPU CD would make for another awesome thing from the band, cause it seems like LPU is really starting up again. Even if its just some unearthed live audios or instrumental demos, it'd be great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shoutweb: So, there are 13 tracks, right?

Rob: One of them is more like an instrumental interlude song. It's not really an interlude though. It really kind of shows the electronic element of what we do. There is a lot of drum editing and a lot of different editing on that. It's a really, really cool song.

Shoutweb: Is that "Forward"?

Rob: No, that is actually just a little intro. The song I am talking about is called "Session".

Shoutweb: So that actually makes only 12 songs on the record.

Rob: It was almost 13. You know what? We had so many songs. We actually went into the studio with 18 songs that we recorded drums on. We really tried to concentrate on the record as a whole, besides just the songs. It's hard to cut songs out because we had songs that we're just so attached to and I think are really great songs but we really tried to pick the amount of songs that fit the record to make the record a whole piece of work. Not just a bunch of different songs thrown on an album. We really wanted to take you on a journey so you can listen to something from beginning to end. We want something that is going to grab your attention the whole time and you've gone on this musical journey that is just under 37 minutes this time.

This is interesting. Rob said, "It was ALMOST 13." It's possible he was recollecting "Lost", almost making the album.

3 hours ago, IWillWalkAway said:

Shoutweb: So, there are 13 tracks, right?

Rob: One of them is more like an instrumental interlude song. It's not really an interlude though. It really kind of shows the electronic element of what we do. There is a lot of drum editing and a lot of different editing on that. It's a really, really cool song.

Shoutweb: Is that "Forward"?

Rob: No, that is actually just a little intro. The song I am talking about is called "Session".

Shoutweb: So that actually makes only 12 songs on the record.

Rob: It was almost 13. You know what? We had so many songs. We actually went into the studio with 18 songs that we recorded drums on. We really tried to concentrate on the record as a whole, besides just the songs. It's hard to cut songs out because we had songs that we're just so attached to and I think are really great songs but we really tried to pick the amount of songs that fit the record to make the record a whole piece of work. Not just a bunch of different songs thrown on an album. We really wanted to take you on a journey so you can listen to something from beginning to end. We want something that is going to grab your attention the whole time and you've gone on this musical journey that is just under 37 minutes this time.

This is interesting. Rob said, "It was ALMOST 13." It's possible he was recollecting "Lost", almost making the album.

Based on what Mike said about Lost, I think Rob is definitely talking about that song 

• 3 months later...
On 5/26/2023 at 8:44 PM, IWillWalkAway said:

There is a clip in an LPTV of Brad playing something on piano, and Phoenix mentions it held the working title “Knuckles”. This makes me wonder if Knuckles might be Numb’s demo title or something (the tune sounds not much like Numb but who knows). 99% sure it’s not, probably a totally different Meteora-era demo. But again who knows.

why have i never heard of this?

On 7/25/2023 at 10:10 PM, IWillWalkAway said:

I wonder if were gonna get a new LPU CD this year. It's been a long damn time since we got one and I feel like with Meteora 20 and everything, a new LPU CD would make for another awesome thing from the band, cause it seems like LPU is really starting up again. Even if its just some unearthed live audios or instrumental demos, it'd be great.

I don't think we're going to get any more LPU CDs, not with demos, at least. They're gonna hold onto those to make the subsequent box sets more valuable, and there's a finite amount - clearly Warner was fine with it when the band was actively making music, but now that that's not happening, they're probably much more discerning about it. Could be wrong, though, I suppose we'll see with time.

I feel like, in the place of demos, getting consistent (good) remixes through LPU would be cool. You can always make more, after all, and they could be album-themed each year, or have a bunch from one person, things like that. Maybe it wouldn't go over super well with fans, but right now we've gotten nothing for six years, so I think complaints would be a little much...

On 6/17/2023 at 9:12 PM, IWillWalkAway said:

the Linkinpedia page says Lost 2002 mix has a shorter intro? Why? Both mixes have the same intro length?

I’m gonna post one more time the full Meteora board of songs and the demo titles each song goes to cause why not. Just to show again the 18 total demos LP had in the final process of making Meteora.

1. Cumulus - a demo from LPU13, which ended up receiving a basically finished version with full vocals but left off the album, “More the Victim”. Ended up sounding a bit too far from the rest of the songs for the bands liking for being on the album at the time.

2. Interrogation - the working title to the album track “Easier to Run”, unknown until Meteora 20 release.

3. Cuidado - the demo for “Lying from You” on the album. Confirmed in a Mike Shinoda live in April 2021.

4. (BLANK SPACE) - likely the “Healing Foot” demo. The original clip of Rob recording drums for this song in the Making of Meteora DVD, and the only finished track done being drums, almost guarantees this was that demo, and it didn’t make it as far as the others.

5. Pretty Birdie - demo version of album track and single “Somewhere I Belong” originally released in LPU13. Title seemed to have slightly changed from “Pretty Birdy”, maybe because Phoenix plays golf, though that’s just a wild guess.

6. Shifter - one of two titles shown in a 2003 spin magazine about recording Meteora. It turned out to be the working title for the album track and single “From the Inside”. The instrumental demo was heard in Making of Meteora and LPTV 1 Episode 1.

7. (originally thought to be Serpent/Quotient) Shortcut - demo title for a 90% completed song not on the album, “Fighting Myself”. Demo version was heard in a short 4 second clip in the LPTV 1 episode 1.

8. Nocturnal - the second title shown in the same 2003 spin magazine about recording Meteora. Confirmed at Meteora 20 Working title for “Nobody’s Listening”, which made the album.

9. Session - Session.

10. Resolution - demo title for “Lost”, the “Thoughts That Take Away My Pride” song shown in making of Meteora DVD. Song was completed with the 12 album tracks, and got mixed by Andy, but was removed when the tracklist took shape in mastering. Early demo version on Meteora 20 was used for the joke “Wizard Song” in the same DVD.

11. Faint - Song on the album and popular single always kept its working title.

12. Sick - demo title for “Don’t Stay”, on the album. A demo we’ve known about, that originally had a reggae-style vibe. Demo is not unearthed yet.

13. Plaster II - A demo of the album song Figure.09. This version might have had singing verses while recording at NRG studios. Another (likely earlier) version of this demo was heard in LPTV 1 Episode 4, with Brad ripping a guitar solo then pretending to be frozen.

14. (originally thought to be Nursery/Hearsay) Husky - working title for the album track “Hit the Floor”. Unknown until Meteora 20.

15. Drawing - demo title for the album track and single “Breaking the Habit”, that originally appeared on LPU9.

16. Figure.09 - Merged with Plaster II to become the final version of the song.

tracks not on the board 

17. Numb - final song on the album, and most popular single came together “quickly and almost effortlessly” at NRG studios, which might explain it not being up on the board, it got finished, at least instrumentally, earlier that the other songs. The official working title is unknown still, but it’s also possible it never had one or was always “Numb”, if that lyric was written early on.

18. A.06 - we know the short instrumental was recorded at NRG studios, though its intent was likely just to serve as an album promo, as it was released while the album was being recorded. Maybe the track was gonna serve as an intro at one point. Nevertheless, it was a demo that got shortened from a full song demo to a short instrumental in the final process.

I'm really curious on what the working title for "Numb" is (if it has a working title), because we don't know what the working titles are for that song and "Foreword" (which I doubt has a working title, but you never know [it probably kept it's working title, if I had to guess]).

Edited by NJPLP

• 3 weeks later...

It's big shame LP did not finish Massive. That would be very big song if it was finished back then. I was just listening Deftones - Prince and that guitar riff sounds very similar to Massive. If you want to hear Massive's HQ guitars then listen to Prince by Deftones. I love it so much. Big song.

40 minutes ago, Hybrider said:

It's big shame LP did not finish Massive. That would be very big song if it was finished back then. I was just listening Deftones - Prince and that guitar riff sounds very similar to Massive. If you want to hear Massive's HQ guitars then listen to Prince by Deftones. I love it so much. Big song.

One of the most unique songs, i guess that it sounds way too complex for Meteora sound.

Would have been a great album closer. 

10 minutes ago, Somebodyangry said:

Yeah it’s almost borderline between ATS and THP, it anticipates what was to come 

It's a mix of Blackout, A06 demo, Fine Victimized, NRL but still it sounds like its own thing.

It's probably the only LP song that has a Industrial vs Nu Metal sound 

The other track that has some of that is By Myself Manson Remix but LP didn't work on that.

34 minutes ago, JZLP-NaughtyNottingham said:

It's a mix of Blackout, A06 demo, Fine Victimized, NRL but still it sounds like its own thing.

The other track that has some of that is By Myself Manson Remix but LP didn't work on that.

That’s true !! 

• 2 months later...
On 11/19/2023 at 2:10 AM, NJPLP said:

I'm really curious on what the working title for "Numb" is (if it has a working title), because we don't know what the working titles are for that song and "Foreword" (which I doubt has a working title, but you never know [it probably kept it's working title, if I had to guess]).

Foreword is just another word meaning “intro”. Actually for several years, I read it as “Forward”. I never actually realized or paid attention to that until a lot later on. I think It was Recorded at Mikes house shortly before mixing the album, when the recording was al(most) done. Just smashing of a shitty CD Player/Burner with a baseball bat on a metal table, and a bang (no idea what that is) and some water sounds. All in 14 seconds

For some reason I had the idea that it was made in like February 2003 before the album came out, I don’t know why or where the hell that idea came from.

Edited by IWillWalkAway

On 12/11/2023 at 1:12 PM, JZLP-NaughtyNottingham said:

Massive was my most played song last year from LP, it's almost hypnotic and it would fit with the current Metalcore sound heavily influenced by djent/Deftones, like Spiritbox or Wage War

2 hours ago, bloodbath said:

Massive was my most played song last year from LP, it's almost hypnotic and it would fit with the current Metalcore sound heavily influenced by djent/Deftones, like Spiritbox or Wage War

Massive sounds way more modern than anything on OML 😂

One of their best demos for sure such a big missed opportunity 

9 hours ago, bloodbath said:

Massive is also my most played song. Imagine if this demo is fully finished with Chester's aggressive vocals and polished improved guitars. That would be a huge song. It's a big shame that it isn't finished. But I believe there is a demo version with Chester on vocals.

Lost was my Number One LP song last year (Shatter by Code Orange was my overall but that's because of a pro wrestler who had as big of an impact on me as Chester passed away, and that was his walkout theme), with Fighting Myself close behind. I love these demos but I can certainly see why they weren't present. Lost has this really weird vibe on the verses instrumental but I think it would have been a good replacement for Hit The Floor. Fighting Myself definitely feels like it belongs but that's just me. MTV's lyrics feel SUPER demo-ish. Close to being finished but definitely not finished. I don't think Massive needed Chester vocals, I like it as it is, but still wouldn't put it on over any other tracks. Healing Foot I think is close to being one that would go on, maybe over Nobody's Listening or Figure.09? The rest are nowhere near finished to consider. 

I'm here to join the Massive fan club. Real shame it was never finished but glad to have finally heard it. I think it would have even been cool to have Mike do the vocals on it just like the demo. His vocals fit the track.

On 4/6/2023 at 5:40 AM, WildernessHasLeftTheChat said:

👏👏👏👏👏

you had so much conviction, and you were right alllll along. Well done!

Hellll Yea man!!!! I sure was!!!

(What is this so seemingly passive aggressive ass comment lmfao 🤣

8 hours ago, Hybrid1988 said:

I'm here to join the Massive fan club. Real shame it was never finished but glad to have finally heard it. I think it would have even been cool to have Mike do the vocals on it just like the demo. His vocals fit the track.

I can imagine a finished version with better drums, the finished Meteora guitar sound, and Chester's vocals on it. I don't think the lyrics were all the strongest, but it could've gone farther. A great demo for sure it's one of my favorite Meteora demos. I think Halo and Attached will always be my favorite Meteora era demos though, even though they're both instrumental. I feel like Halo is a very unpopular favorite but it's just one I could've seen getting finished with full vocals (also having the loud ass guitar part in the chorus cleaned up and redone at NRG) and being damn amazing.

Edited by IWillWalkAway

7 hours ago, IWillWalkAway said:

I can imagine a finished version with better drums, the finished Meteora guitar sound, and Chester's vocals on it. I don't think the lyrics were all the strongest, but it could've gone farther. A great demo for sure it's one of my favorite Meteora demos. I think Halo and Attached will always be my favorite Meteora era demos though, even though they're both instrumental. I feel like Halo is a very unpopular favorite but it's just one I could've seen getting finished with full vocals (also having the loud ass guitar part in the chorus cleaned up and redone at NRG) and being damn amazing.

zwierRZ did a mashup long time ago with Pushing Me Away https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NopQqqyQtaE