New Minutes To Midnight 16-Track Digital Edition

lpliveusername

A new version of Minutes To Midnight is coming to all digital music platforms tomorrow, May 13th, just in time for the album's 15th anniversary!

This new deluxe edition includes all 15 tracks from the physical Tour Edition of the album + Across The Line which is listed under the same code and title as the LPU9 version, marking the first release of this version outside of the LPU!

Tracklist:

1. Wake
  2. Given Up
  3. Leave Out All The Rest
  4. Bleed It Out
  5. Shadow Of The Day
  6. What I've Done
  7. Hands Held High
  8. No More Sorrow
  9. Valentine's Day
  10. In Between
  11. In Pieces
  12. The Little Things Give You Away
  13. No Roads Left
  14. Across The Line
  15. Given Up (Third Encore Session)
  16. What I've Done (Distorted Remix)

When Across The Line was first issued in digital format in 2013 it was missing the synth bass line that's supposed to come in during the first verse at 0:21. Other two songs on the 2013 edition also had differences when compared to the original 2007 versions: Shadow Of The Day and No Roads Left.

In 2021, No Roads Left was finally replaced for the original version. Shadow Of The Day was replaced as well, but not for the original version from 2007. Instead, the song features a re-recorded guitar part as explained by Astat:

Shadow of the Day: Guitar that enters in the first chorus (absent from the previous "wrong" mix) is a different take, the tone is completely different and there are no sliding noises between the notes like there are on the original CD version. I'm not totally convinced it isn't a VST guitar sim replacing the original track. Other differences seem to be fixed.

Haha, wow, this is 100% a re-recorded guitar part, it even plays a wrong note. On the "and the shadow of the day" lines in the choruses, it's supposed to follow the bass and go down to a G instead of going up to a D like it does on every other time through the progression, but it goes up to a D in that spot on this recording. I bet Mike re-recorded this recently because they couldn't find the original guitar track for whatever reason.

Across The Line wasn't fixed back then, but it has finally been replaced now. This new edition of the album includes the re-recorded version of Shadow Of The Day and the original version of No Roads Left as well.

You mentioned "Across The Line", "No Roads Left" and "Shadow Of The Day", but what's the 4th bonus track, unless I got the tracks you mentioned wrong as bonus tracks?

24 minutes ago, NJPLP said:

You mentioned "Across The Line", "No Roads Left" and "Shadow Of The Day", but what's the 4th bonus track, unless I got the tracks you mentioned wrong as bonus tracks?

Nevermind.

28 minutes ago, NJPLP said:

Nevermind.

Added the tracklist to the post.

"No Roads Left" is my most listened to LP song (scrobbling started in 2006, so it's probably some HT stuff, ah well :D). I love this song and think it's one of LP's strongest. Out of all sessions I feel the M2M era is the best. So many great songs on and off the album.

Audio nerd stuff: I noticed this up on HDTracks last night in 96/24. Is this the first digital release of the original version “Across the Line” and “No Roads Left” in that quality (Or any of the four bonus tracks, for that matter)? I want to say yes but I’m not 100% sure.

I remember the special edition release at the time (the grey book with the DVD) having PCM 48k (not sure if it was 24 bit) and *that* seemed major to me at the time. 

Edited by letdownagain

1 hour ago, Trumtram said:

"No Roads Left" is my most listened to LP song (scrobbling started in 2006, so it's probably some HT stuff, ah well :D). I love this song and think it's one of LP's strongest. Out of all sessions I feel the M2M era is the best. So many great songs on and off the album.

Not one of my top songs but agree with you, I fucking love it. If LP will ever return with new music and do something like NRL with a more mature and vocally capable Mike I’m super in ! 

19 hours ago, lpliveusername said:

Tracklist:

1. Wake
  2. Given Up
  3. Leave Out All The Rest
  4. Bleed It Out
  5. Shadow Of The Day
  6. What I've Done
  7. Hands Held High
  8. No More Sorrow
  9. Valentine's Day
  10. In Between
  11. In Pieces
  12. The Little Things Give You Away
  13. No Roads Left
  14. Across The Line
  15. Given Up (Third Encore Session)
  16. What I've Done (Distorted Remix)

I think this the first time that "Given Up (Third Encore Session)" and "What I've Done (Distorted Remix)" have been on Apple Music/ITunes and Spotify.

2 hours ago, letdownagain said:

Audio nerd stuff: I noticed this up on HDTracks last night in 96/24. Is this the first digital release of the original version “Across the Line” and “No Roads Left” in that quality (Or any of the four bonus tracks, for that matter)? I want to say yes but I’m not 100% sure.

I remember the special edition release at the time (the grey book with the DVD) having PCM 48k (not sure if it was 24 hit) and *that* seemed major to me at the time. 

The DVD had all the tracks at 24-bit/48.0kHz, but there was no bonus tracks. All released in 2013 bonus tracks had 24-bit/44.1 sample, in November 2021 SOTD and NRL were fixed and updated to 24-bit/96.0kHz quality and those two are the only tracks with that quality. On HDtracks the info says 96kHz 24-bit in general for the whole album and also a little below that it says "* contains tracks in various sample rates " and in the tracklist, there is info what quality each of the tracks has. 96 has only SOTD and NRL, WID remix GU live and ATL has 44.1 and the rest tracks 48 quality.

WID remix and GU live are available at 24-bit quality for the first time. EDIT: nah they are there at 16-bit only!

Edited by martinez

1 hour ago, NJPLP said:

I think this the first time that "Given Up (Third Encore Session)" and "What I've Done (Distorted Remix)" have been on Apple Music/ITunes and Spotify.

Both were released in 2007 on iTunes in Bleed It Out single and are available since then and later on Apple Music and Spotify, when those services became available.

Edited by martinez

1 hour ago, martinez said:

WID remix and GU live are available at 24-bit quality for the first time.

LOL.

Correction on myself, because I am blind. The 24-bit versions of those doesn't exist! You can see on the HDtrack info that they are at 16-bit. This is probably the reason why the whole album is not in Apple Digital Master and why some stores (for example qobuz) don't sell the whole album at Hi-Res quality at all. It's the same case like with HT 20 Anniversary edition.

Edited by martinez

8 hours ago, martinez said:

The DVD had all the tracks at 24-bit/48.0kHz, but there was no bonus tracks. All released in 2013 bonus tracks had 24-bit/44.1 sample, in November 2021 SOTD and NRL were fixed and updated to 24-bit/96.0kHz quality and those two are the only tracks with that quality. On HDtracks the info says 96kHz 24-bit in general for the whole album and also a little below that it says "* contains tracks in various sample rates " and in the tracklist, there is info what quality each of the tracks has. 96 has only SOTD and NRL, WID remix GU live and ATL has 44.1 and the rest tracks 48 quality.

WID remix and GU live are available at 24-bit quality for the first time. EDIT: nah they are there at 16-bit only!

Thanks for being so detailed with this. I didn’t know about the 2021 release and I forgot that HDTracks will do a mix of things.  

Can somebody tell me about Shadow of the Day? I heard the 2013 version. What's with the 2021 version? It's the original version to my listening. what do you mean by re-recorded? don't tell me it's like a Taylor Swift kind of gimmick?

If I was in the label/management, I would say this: "ok so since we not making Mastered for iTunes/Apple Digital Master of this deluxe edition and we also don't have those 3 bonus tracks in 24-bit quality, let's just resign from the Hi-Res version at all and release the whole album in CD quality, we could then go with the 2007 version of the Shadow Of The Day track, which we have on the CDs and in other digital stores. And everyone will be happy about it."

On 5/17/2022 at 5:58 PM, RYG4R said:

They should've put LOATR (MS Remix) instead of another Given Up track on the deluxe album, seriously.

Or they could've added the remix as another bonus track.

Edited by NJPLP