"Deftest" To Be Auctioned On May 19th, 2022

lpliveusername

6 minutes ago, Stranger said:

yup, me too! the real gem will be DEFTEST. finally, a new old song of XERO release in 2022.

100% another unheard Gem going into my LP collection to listen to forever, I dunno why but old unheard LP tracks are actually pretty good most of the time. 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Stranger said:

it'll be interesting take on how the raw sounds of "Dialate" from the tape. i'm hoping "Fuse" will be the another version of the song, love the track. thanks for the update man.

Based off of the snippet of “Stick N Move” that was played sounding the same as the version on the baby tape (most likely the same exact version), and from Mike saying on a Q&A from June 18, 2020 that “it (Fuse) stayed in a hard drive.”, “Fuse” is most likely the same version as the one on the baby tape.

Edited by NJPLP

Stick N Move, Fuse and Dialate are probably the exact same versions we have, yet will sound different.

Stick N Move and Fuse will hopefully be an upgrade quality wise, if the rip is good. And considering we already got upgraded versions of Reading My Eyes and Rhinestone, this could give us a better sound to the complete baby tape.

Dialate will also probably sound different, but more raw in this case, since the HT20 version was polished/remastered, so we will get a sound closer to baby tape tracks in this case.

2 hours ago, SerioDrew said:

Stick N Move, Fuse and Dialate are probably the exact same versions we have, yet will sound different.

Stick N Move and Fuse will hopefully be an upgrade quality wise, if the rip is good. And considering we already got upgraded versions of Reading My Eyes and Rhinestone, this could give us a better sound to the complete baby tape.

Dialate will also probably sound different, but more raw in this case, since the HT20 version was polished/remastered, so we will get a sound closer to baby tape tracks in this case.

The "Rhinestone" we got as a part of the Forgotten Demos CD as a part of HT20 is the 1998 re-recorded version, not the 1997 baby cassette tape version, so it isn't entirely complete.

Edited by NJPLP

31 minutes ago, NJPLP said:

The "Rhinestone" we got as a part of the Forgotten Demos CD as a part of HT20 is the 1998 re-recorded version, not the 1997 baby cassette tape version, so it isn't entirely complete.

Yeah ik its the Crow/Zomba Sampler version, but what I meant is if we hopefully get a higher quality of SnM and Fuse from this tape we will have all baby tape songs in higher quality, honestly wish all of em were re-recorded in the studio like Rhinestone lol. But prolly it was only SnM in a different version closer to the Chester one I assume.

On 4/21/2022 at 9:15 AM, SerioDrew said:

Yeah ik its the Crow/Zomba Sampler version, but what I meant is if we hopefully get a higher quality of SnM and Fuse from this tape we will have all baby tape songs in higher quality, honestly wish all of em were re-recorded in the studio like Rhinestone lol. But prolly it was only SnM in a different version closer to the Chester one I assume.

In Jeff Blue's book "One Step Closer: From Xero To #1: Becoming Linkin Park", he says that he got a Xero CD on his birthday (November 17th) in 1998, and the tracks on the CD were:

1. "Rhinestone" (1998 Re-Recorded Version; Crow/Zomba Sampler Version/HT20 Version)

2. "Esaul" (1998 Version; Possibly re-recorded; HT20 Version)

3. "Pictureboard" (1998 Version; Possibly re-recorded; Leaked Version from Andrew Lanoie)

4. "Fiends" (1998 Xero Demo; Leaked Version from Rapology 14)

5. "Stick N Move" (1998 Re-Recorded Version) [Unreleased]

6. "Carousel" (1998 Xero Demo) [Unreleased]

7. "Slip" (1998 Xero Demo) [Unreleased]

8. "Pointillism" (1998 Mike Shinoda Demo) [Mike Shinoda Demo On A Xero Promo] (Unreleased)

9. "Step Up" (1998 Xero Demo) [Unreleased]

Edited by NJPLP

18 hours ago, Awalkinthelinkinpark said:

how are you guys so sure? maybe some assholes gonna hog the tape all by themselves

I mean thats the biggest possibility tbh haha, we just discussing the scenario that someone who cares for the community gets the tape lol.

On 4/23/2022 at 7:08 AM, Awalkinthelinkinpark said:

how are you guys so sure? maybe some assholes gonna hog the tape all by themselves

On 4/24/2022 at 2:06 AM, SerioDrew said:

I mean thats the biggest possibility tbh haha, we just discussing the scenario that someone who cares for the community gets the tape lol.

Hopefully the person who gets tape is someone from LPLive and, as SerioDrew said, is someone who cares for the community.

On 4/23/2022 at 1:08 PM, Awalkinthelinkinpark said:

Imagine buying something for yourself, only to be told by random online strangers that you're an asshole for not sharing it with them, even though you're under no obligation to do so, nor are they entitled to have it.

Edited by Seelentau

On 4/4/2022 at 7:52 PM, lpliveusername said:

but at the moment we can tell you a full song ripped from the tape will be posted online as the date approaches.

LOOK HERE ^

On 4/23/2022 at 4:08 AM, Awalkinthelinkinpark said:

15 hours ago, NJPLP said:

Hopefully the person who gets tape is someone from LPLive and, as SerioDrew said, is someone who cares for the community.

14 hours ago, Seelentau said:

Imagine buying something for yourself, only to be told by random online strangers that you're an asshole for not sharing it with them, even though you're under no obligation to do so, nor are they entitled to have it.

Not to be rude or anything but are you guys blind? Literally said it's gonna be posted as the date approaches. Not sure if the whole tape or just "Deftest" tho.

Edited by RayGun4200

4 hours ago, RayGun4200 said:

LOOK HERE ^

Not to be rude or anything but are you guys blind? Literally said it's gonna be posted as the date approaches. Not sure if the whole tape or just "Deftest" tho.

A snippet of “Stick N Move” from @theflotilla, the owner of the tape, was posted by LPLive on their Twitter.

Look here: 

Edited by NJPLP

5 hours ago, RayGun4200 said:

It says right there in the quote that a song from the tape will be posted in full, not the whole tape. So... are you blind? xD

But I'm talking about the whole tape and the audacity of people that think they're entitled to hear it, even if it's bought by someone that doesn't want to share it.

On 4/27/2022 at 3:55 AM, NJPLP said:

A snippet of “Stick N Move” from @theflotilla, the owner of the tape, was posted by LPLive on their Twitter.

Look here: 

Yeah I've already seen this been following it since the beginning lol

On 4/27/2022 at 4:23 AM, Seelentau said:

It says right there in the quote that a song from the tape will be posted in full, not the whole tape. So... are you blind? xD

But I'm talking about the whole tape and the audacity of people that think they're entitled to hear it, even if it's bought by someone that doesn't want to share it.

Y'all are funny GG. But yeah but it says full song which makes me think the whole tape or it could just be Deftest, we'll just have to wait and see I suppose, but yeah that's true whoever gets the tape can do whatever with it, put it in a Linkin Park shrine or protect it since it's one of a kind piece of LP history etc 

Edited by RayGun4200

1 minute ago, Trumtram said:

They sound so much more like demos. The mixing is awful at times :D. Still, would be great to have those untouched versions.

True dat man. Also why in the vid the audio seems to go up and down plus it sounds kinda weird at times? Was it the ripping process or just the Cassette?

1 hour ago, RayGun4200 said:

True dat man. Also why in the vid the audio seems to go up and down plus it sounds kinda weird at times? Was it the ripping process or just the Cassette?

It sounds more like a 4-track demo. Vocal tracks getting recorded at different times and bounced at different volumes. More like what you would expect these songs to sound like. Still there are notable differences compared to the released baby cassette. Cool stuff. Let's see what we'll get in the end.

6 hours ago, RayGun4200 said:

Ripping process in case anyone else is curious about it:

"captured on dad's DENON DR-M30HX through a TASCAM US-144mkII to give it the best shot possible but it is a cheap Type I cassette with no Dolby NR"

I also added fade in / fade out for the transitions in the video.

1 minute ago, lpliveusername said:

There has been a delay and the tape still isn't up for auction yet. Here's an update:

https://twitter.com/theflotilla/status/1521489359555510273

It will eventually show up here:

https://secure.qgiv.com/event/afspstandupforhope/items/

I wonder how much that tape is considered worth since like only 1 exists, so maybe more than $2000 or something? 

I had the two tracks from the Dave interview mixed up in my head, thought this was untitled one which I liked more personally, but this is still awesome to hear, even if so far it's only a few more seconds than the interview snippet. Is anyone planning on pooling money together for this at all?