Sneak Peak: "Crazy" (Slash feat. Chester Bennington)

lpliveusername

Big Chris Flores, a record producer and sound engineer who worked with Slash on his debut solo album has revealed more information about the unreleased collaboration between Slash and Chester Bennington titled 'Crazy' in a recent interview to Metal Temple:

"Ooooh good one! Yeah, back in 2010 I scored a movie with Slash called, “This Is Not A Movie. “Slash wrote a lot of cool instrumental ideas for that movie. when we finished with the movie he went back and decided which ideas he was going to turn into songs. He had a list of artists that he thought would work well with some of the songs. He reached out to a lot of different singers. For this one track he reached out to Chester. Later that month Chester came to the studio and recorded the demo called, “Crazy.” Well, it turned out that Linkin Park was releasing an album the same year Slash was and they did not want Chester to perform on any other album until their album was released. Later reached out to Lemmy from Motorhead and cut the song Dr. Alibi. That’s the one that made the album. I’m sure the song will be released sooner than later. We were just waiting for Linkin Park to do their thing with what they had recorded with Chester. We were also waiting for Chester‘s wife Talinda to decide when and how she wants to release the song . Slash got everybody he wanted on the album. The only issue was with Chester and the Linkin Park album being released at the same time."

In addition to that, today he went live on WHYS Radio and gave fans a sneak peak of the song which you can listen below. After Chester passed away, Talinda wanted to release it the demo the way it was, but they decided to return to the studio to finish the song and it was eventually shelved. He confirmed the song will be released, but there's no release date set for it yet. He hinted at maybe around Chester's birthday or around a mental health event like something with 320 Changes Direction.

Big Chris confirmed that he got both Slash and Talinda's approval to play the clip of the song and confirms an upcoming release with more information coming.

I remember the old days Slash wanted Chester to front Velvet Revolver he always had a thing for Chester 

I still don't understand why this wasn't released.. considering that he did a track with Santana and was actually released in 2010 too.

Crazy it's an amazing song it means a lot to me because the Slash debut album is one of my favorite albums of all time

I highly recommend you guys to listen to the full Slash debut album it has Kid Rock, Adam Levine, Cornell, M Shadows, Lemmy, Ozzy killer lineup

Whoever decided to not include Chester was a fucking asshole.

Crazy sounds badass Chester is a great rock singer.

Wow, can't wait! I feel like between this and Cross Off we're very lucky to have "new" tracks with him. He was also fantastic at this style of rock and I'm always excited to hear more of it. 

It sounds like, from the description, that Warner would actually not allow Slash to feature Chester on his album. It has to do with LP releasing an album the same year as Slash wanting to feature Chester on a song. In all actuality, that is really stupid for the label to say that because we all know it's not going to take away from the LP sales *at all*. So honestly, the LP label is why Chester wasn't on the album in the end.

Slash then re-recorded it with Lemmy and released it. Slash and Chester never finished it properly at that time (2010~) but Chris and Slash went back in in 2019~ to finish recording it (re-record the instrumentals). It sounds like some of this stuff also just gets lost in time when parties don't push for it to be released. We should be grateful for Chris constantly hounding Slash about it and taking the initiative to finish it up/get it out there. It would have just sat on a hard drive as a demo forever if not. And we've said it a thousand times but Talinda is always super classy about this stuff, she OK's all of the music for release on her side whether it's LP, Grey Daze, Mark Morton's Cross Off, Slash's Crazy, etc. It's likely we will never have drama on Talinda's side when it comes to things being released with Chester on them, which is tremendous for the fans.

Imagine what else could have come out if someone had kept pushing and pushing for it... Head Like a Hole, etc.

1 hour ago, LPLStaff said:

It sounds like, from the description, that Warner would actually not allow Slash to feature Chester on his album. It has to do with LP releasing an album the same year as Slash wanting to feature Chester on a song. In all actuality, that is really stupid for the label to say that because we all know it's not going to take away from the LP sales *at all*. So honestly, the LP label is why Chester wasn't on the album in the end.

Slash then re-recorded it with Lemmy and released it. Slash and Chester never finished it properly at that time (2010~) but Chris and Slash went back in in 2019~ to finish recording it (re-record the instrumentals). It sounds like some of this stuff also just gets lost in time when parties don't push for it to be released. We should be grateful for Chris constantly hounding Slash about it and taking the initiative to finish it up/get it out there. It would have just sat on a hard drive as a demo forever if not. And we've said it a thousand times but Talinda is always super classy about this stuff, she OK's all of the music for release on her side whether it's LP, Grey Daze, Mark Morton's Cross Off, Slash's Crazy, etc. It's likely we will never have drama on Talinda's side when it comes to things being released with Chester on them, which is tremendous for the fans.

Imagine what else could have come out if someone had kept pushing and pushing for it... Head Like a Hole, etc.

Yeah Talinda was very classy in allowing every single posthumous project involving Chester. The label not wanting Chester on something non LP related is stupid ... But it’s basically the same thing Sean said about GD back in the day. Anyway, the way Big Chris said it, sounded like LP (the band) didn’t want Chester on something not LP related, lol. 

Edited by PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92

49 minutes ago, xxHybridXeroxx said:

This sounds awesome! Can’t wait to hear the full thing. Pretty cool of Talinda to approve it as well. This once again proves Chester could do anything, he always sounded good doing this style of music, but he was an incredibly versatile vocalist.

Yeah if you think that in the same period this was recorded LP was doing ATS, if I remember correctly 

To me it sounds like DBS. Even though it's something "new" I don't feel it at all. Still it will be nice to get this one :).

And yeah, it shouldn't come as much of a surprise with all the label stuff...

39 minutes ago, Trumtram said:

To me it sounds like DBS. Even though it's something "new" I don't feel it at all. Still it will be nice to get this one :).

And yeah, it shouldn't come as much of a surprise with all the label stuff...

It’s very DBS/STP, it instantly reminded me of Out of time and Crawl back in yeah. No it’s nothing new but I REALLY like this style 

22 minutes ago, PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92 said:

It’s very DBS/STP, it instantly reminded me of Out of time and Crawl back in yeah. No it’s nothing new but I REALLY like this style 

I don't know since i've heard that album a million times theres a huge a difference between DBS and STP and the Slash album

you still havent heard a single song right? haha

25 minutes ago, PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92 said:

Yeah, I think it reminded me instantly of "Crawl Back In".

5 minutes ago, JZ-CashGrabDude said:

I don't know since i've heard that album a million times theres a huge a difference between DBS and STP and the Slash album

you still havent heard a single song right? haha

No I haven’t lol. But THIS song with Chester reminded me of DBS and STP 

1 minute ago, JZ-CashGrabDude said:

Probably my mind doesnt wants to associate this song to STP

the High Rise EP was a huge waste of time, probably that's the only album that I dislike with Chester on vocals.

Wow that’s weird, I think Out of Time and Same on the inside are GREAT

3 minutes ago, NJPLP said:

Out of TIme and Black Heart are bangers.

The whole EP is cool IMO, I get that it’s nothing fresh, it’s a grunge EP in 2013, but it was cool. The only song I’m a bit meh is Cry Cry because that’s one of the few songs where Chester is annoying on the chorus, sounding like a frog lol “cry cry can’t say nooo” but I like the verses and pre chorus a lot 

26 minutes ago, NJPLP said:

So did Slash collaborate with Chester on "Crazy", "Docter Alibi", or both?

Basically, Doctor Alibi is the rework of Crazy. Put it that way, Crazy is the demo of Doctor Alibi, but with Chester on vocals and different lyrics 

1 minute ago, JZ-CashGrabDude said:

can we have a wiki page for this?  im not really sure 

It’s weird. 
for what I understood, “Crazy” was finished (or almost finished because in the interview it was said that some instrumental parts were re recorded recently), but it wasn’t published due to “issues” (not entering in this territory, not sure if it was Warner or whatever). So Slash re-recorded the song whit Lemmy with completely different lyrics and it became Dr. Alibi