Happy 18th Birthday to Meteora!

LPLStaff

Linkin Park's sophomore album Meteora turned 18 years old this week!

After demoing ideas on tour for Hybrid Theory in 2001 and early 2002 as well as demoing songs at Mike's home studio, the band recorded Meteora with Don Gilmore at NRG Studios from April to November 2002. The album produced five singles - Somewhere I Belong, Faint, Numb, From the Inside, Breaking the Habit, and Lying From You. From 2003 to 2004, Linkin Park performed a wide variety of shows for the album, from an intimate LP Underground Tour to two of their own Projekt Revolution Tours, to opening for Metallica on a Summer Sanitarium stadium tour, to headlining festivals across the world and even performing a sold out arena tour in North America. Some of these performances have gone on to become some of the most legendary and well known Linkin Park shows ever, especially Rock am Ring 2004.

We'd love to know some of your memories from the Meteora era. Did you see Linkin Park live from this era? Were you involved in the fan communities around this time? Did you buy the album right when it came out? Or did you get into Linkin Park later on?

This era is Linkin Park in a nutshell to me and most of the people around the world. Way more than HT era.

Meteora really defined this memorable graphic and visual identity LP has in most people's mind. The urban underground angry teenager.

I mean, it's incredible to think about. Numb, Faint, Breaking the Habit, From the Inside, Somewhere i Belong... all in the same album.

I dare to say, this is Linkin Park at it's peak. Maybe not exclusively musically-wise, but in a holistic way. That's when they became universal, an arena band, not just a one-hit wonder but something that would be a timeless success.

Meteora was when I first got into the band. My Dad would always be playing rock radio in his car when we went places and I would always hear Faint and love it but I didn’t know who sang it at the time. I was only 12 at the time and didn’t know how to even work the internet or anything really yet (yes I was a sheltered kid for the most part). Once I found out who it was, that’s when my obsession with the band started. Funnily enough, I used to play this X-Games video game for PS2 prior to all this and APFMH was the song used in the intro of the game and I loved it, just never knew who the band was. My old friend also had a copy of Hybrid Theory that he once showed me around that time too but I don’t really remember my reaction to it or if I even listened to it/paid attention. Funny how that all worked out. Meteora also really helped me with some dark times growing up, as well as the HT stuff I eventually got into once I became obsessed. So I owe it that too. Anyways, Meteora is an amazing album. Happy Birthday. I hope in 2023 we can get a box set with it like the one for HT and get some awesome demos and stuff as well as live tracks, etc. Would definitely buy it just like I bought the HT box set.

Edited by Lebron

Legendary and iconic, the album proved the world that the band was able to go big and make another quality record, adding elements to the recipie of HT (mainly thinking about BTH and experiments like Nobody’s listening, even tho the latter is not that good). I remember I was on holiday with my parents in France and bought the album in a giant Virgin store. 
Fans will never agree on which album is better between this and HT, but we can say that their nu metal phase was a hell of a ride with 2 massive records that shaped a generator of kids’ taste in music. 
Happy fucking birthday ! 

8 hours ago, Cesar656 said:

LP at its peak, cd full of bangers (except hit the floor, what were they thinking lol)

I love all of the songs on Meteora, HTF is awesome. Never understand why some people don't like it.

12 minutes ago, Lebron said:

I love all of the songs on Meteora, HTF is awesome. Never understand why some people don't like it.

I think it’s super forced, Chester himself said “if you want to kill me make me sing HTF every night” 😂😂 but all of us have our fav/least fav songs.
I mean, I think I’m one of the very few people in the fanbase who thinks Halfway Right is fucking amazing and would include the song in my personal LP top 20 so ... 🙂

Edited by PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92

1 hour ago, PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92 said:

I think it’s super forced, Chester himself said “if you want to kill me make me sing HTF every night” 😂😂 but all of us have our fav/least fav songs.
I mean, I think I’m one of the very few people in the fanbase who thinks Halfway Right is fucking amazing and would include the song in my personal LP top 20 so ... 🙂

Quote where he said that? He probably meant cuz it’s hard on his voice since it’s a lot. He said in an interview in 2017 that he wanted to start playing HTF again actually. 

1 minute ago, Lebron said:

Quote where he said that? He probably meant cuz it’s hard on his voice since it’s a lot. He said in an interview in 2017 that he wanted to start playing HTF again actually. 

Really ? Didn’t know about the interview. Hmmm sorry I think I’ll never find that again, it was like, the interviewer asked Mike/another band member “which song he didn’t want to play/was hard to play” and Chester jumped in saying “HTF,!!”

1 minute ago, PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92 said:

Really ? Didn’t know about the interview. Hmmm sorry I think I’ll never find that again, it was like, the interviewer asked Mike/another band member “which song he didn’t want to play/was hard to play” and Chester jumped in saying “HTF,!!”

I know he said Crawling got hard for him so they did away with it for a bit starting in mid 2012 because he said the chorus was one long note. He also said With You was hard in an 2011 LPU Chat. Given Up too he said was hard but he hoped he could still be singing it at 60 years old. I know Chester didn’t like Runaway and he also didn’t think ITE and OSC were good enough for the album but he grew to like them after they started touring (not Runaway though).

31 minutes ago, Lebron said:

I know he said Crawling got hard for him so they did away with it for a bit starting in mid 2012 because he said the chorus was one long note. He also said With You was hard in an 2011 LPU Chat. Given Up too he said was hard but he hoped he could still be singing it at 60 years old. I know Chester didn’t like Runaway and he also didn’t think ITE and OSC were good enough for the album but he grew to like them after they started touring (not Runaway though).

Yeah, but TBH now I can get his feelings for Runaway, I mean they made the bridge better in the live version but the studio version is pretty meh 

3 minutes ago, PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92 said:

Yeah, but TBH now I can get his feelings for Runaway, I mean they made the bridge better in the live version but the studio version is pretty meh 

Yeah idc what anyone in the band liked playing or didn’t because it isn’t really relevant since they’re gonna play whatever they want regardless. Nothing on their first 3 albums are anything from those eras are cringe or bad to me at all personally. Cringe started in 2009.

Edited by Lebron

17 minutes ago, Lebron said:

Yeah idc what anyone in the band liked playing or didn’t because it isn’t really relevant since they’re gonna play whatever they want regardless. Nothing on their first 3 albums are anything from those eras are cringe or bad to me at all personally. Cringe started in 2009.

It’s just a matter of opinion man 😊 I don’t have the same opinion I had 15 years ago  about music and stuff, personally I don’t think A thousand suns or Living things are cringy (except for Lies Greed Misery and and mayyyybe some lyrics on Burn it down, but not the whole song)😊
Some stuff on THP is cringy IMO, mainly due to the lyrics. 

Just now, PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92 said:

It’s just a matter of opinion man 😊 I don’t have the same opinion I had 15 years ago  about music and stuff, personally I don’t think A thousand suns or Living things are cringy (except for Lies Greed Misery and and mayyyybe some lyrics on Burn it down, but not the whole song)😊

ATS isn’t cringe but it’s not good to me for various reasons. LT is cringe though as well as anything made after it. I still have the same opinion as I did when I was 15 about music idc. 

Oh this was the first album I had by Linkin Park on a cassette. It was a bootleg so side A has all songs till From The Inside, and side B had the last 3 and some Grey Daze songs which I didn't like at the time. I didn't even know what they were lol. This album literally introduced me to western rock music. All my music taste originated from this album. I didn't understand a single word on the album but still really really loved every single song on the album.

13 hours ago, Lebron said:

ATS isn’t cringe but it’s not good to me for various reasons. LT is cringe though as well as anything made after it. I still have the same opinion as I did when I was 15 about music idc. 

At 15 its normal to think HT and Meteora are dope and LT and THP are cringy. Then one grows up and starts to cringe with HT and Meteora and enjoy calmly what came after, which is what happened to the band

11 minutes ago, Bambitt said:

Who the hell cringes at HT or Meteora?

The non fans. I mean SOME songs are a tiny little cringy like I said but as much as I’m not a 15 y.o. kid who thinks that In the End is the best song ever made in history I don’t cringe at HT/M I can listen to both records enjoying them (with little few exceptions)