"One More Light" Turns Three

LPLStaff

18 hours ago, 7Up said:

But it’s weird that you have interviews with Chester talking about what TTM is about, about relating to how Talinda must have felt when he was battling his demons, but yet he doesn’t have writing credits.

Mike said in a promo video or behind the scenes thing around the time of the album's release that Chester and him would brainstorm ideas for songs and then take those ideas and go from there. I really think that Chester contributed ideas and themes for songs that he doesn't have a writing credit on because none of the actual words on the song actually came from Chester. I don't know if I'm wording what I want to say correctly. I just woke up and I'm kinda tired still. lol

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, leftshoe18 said:

Mike said in a promo video or behind the scenes thing around the time of the album's release that Chester and him would brainstorm ideas for songs and then take those ideas and go from there. I really think that Chester contributed ideas and themes for songs that he doesn't have a writing credit on because none of the actual words on the song actually came from Chester. I don't know if I'm wording what I want to say correctly. I just woke up and I'm kinda tired still. lol

I would think that’s correct. He and Mike have done that since HT days, where they just talk openly about their issues and come up with ideas from there. Chester may very well have provided the concept and Mike turned it into song lyrics.

It just seems so weird, if that was the case (I’m not saying it ISN’T; it likely is), that Chester / all of the band wouldn’t just get a writing credit on every song like every other album. I mean Chester has a writing credit on Session lmao. He was heated it got nominated for an award. 

1 minute ago, Hahninator said:

It just seems so weird, if that was the case (I’m not saying it ISN’T; it likely is), that Chester / all of the band wouldn’t just get a writing credit on every song like every other album. I mean Chester has a writing credit on Session lmao. He was heated it got nominated for an award. 

Lmao was he really? He probably was like “So we put out this album, and the song up for an award is the only song with no vocals.... nice.”

8 hours ago, sordomuda said:

thats a very valid point. But i think the issue that is bothering most of the fans is not that only Mike and Brad contributed to it (we been knew like you said) but that they took people outside the band to write for them. Personally i dont mind it on one album. Its not like they do it on every album or they got lyrics and music ready, done by someone else and just went to the studio to record it with no contribution like some of the main artists out there. 

I mean, they just wanted to try something new. I don't really understand the sentiment that "outside collaborators = bad". There's a purist argument to having everything done solely by you/your band, but I've always thought bringing in third-parties to work with brings new ideas to the table and can take songs in new directions that they might not have gone in otherwise. They basically had the exact same songwriting process for 20 years or so. Why not flip it up for an album and start with lyrics and bring in outside collaborators. Like you said, it's not like the band just performed songs other people wrote for them. The usual songwriters in the band were still in the room for the entire album. It's also not like they replaced Joe or Phoenix with Jon Green or Ilsey Juber. They probably wouldn't have been helping with that part of the process anyway.

1 hour ago, Hahninator said:

They did get credit on BMI, so they probably are getting songwriting royalties. But again, it'd be in poor taste to have all these outside songwriters bundled in with 3-5 other people who didn't actually help write the songs. Like, "Why do these guys get the same credit I do when I actually did the work", ya know?

Edited by SasstielExperience

8 minutes ago, SasstielExperience said:

I mean, they just wanted to try something new. I don't really understand the sentiment that "outside collaborators = bad". There's a purist argument to having everything done solely by you/your band, but I've always thought bringing in third-parties to work with brings new ideas to the table and can take songs in new directions that they might not have gone in otherwise. They basically had the exact same songwriting process for 20 years or so. Why not flip it up for an album and start with lyrics and bring in outside collaborators.

That's it, there's nothing wrong with changing your way of making an album, It could have been something good or mediocre. For me, OML was the second. But I prefer to fail doing something different that screwing up with the same old shit. 

8 minutes ago, bloodbath said:

That's it, there's nothing wrong with changing your way of making an album, It could have been something good or mediocre. For me, OML was the second. But I prefer to fail doing something different that screwing up with the same old shit. 

THIS. THIS. AGAIN, THIS. They tried something new, they did the writing process backwards and had collaborations with songwriters, and regardless about the opinion on the final result (I love it, you think it’s mediocre) you have to give credit to the band that could have just phoned in another LT-style album  (I like LT but it’s safe) and instead decided to take a big risk 

5 minutes ago, Comfortinthepanic92 said:

THIS. THIS. AGAIN, THIS. They tried something new, they did the writing process backwards and had collaborations with songwriters, and regardless about the opinion on the final result (I love it, you think it’s mediocre) you have to give credit to the band that could have just phoned in another LT-style album  (I like LT but it’s safe) and instead decided to take a big risk 

Yeah buddy, without experimentation we'd never have The Catalyst, Waiting for the End and another beloved songs. The best thing about this band is, if you didn't like their newest output, you only have to wait 'till the next one. 

1 hour ago, bloodbath said:

Yeah buddy, without experimentation we'd never have The Catalyst, Waiting for the End and another beloved songs. The best thing about this band is, if you didn't like their newest output, you only have to wait 'till the next one. 

True! Its always a win or fail with experiments. 

12 hours ago, SasstielExperience said:

They did get credit on BMI, so they probably are getting songwriting royalties. But again, it'd be in poor taste to have all these outside songwriters bundled in with 3-5 other people who didn't actually help write the songs. Like, "Why do these guys get the same credit I do when I actually did the work", ya know?

This, and then the actual writers would probably get lesser royalties because of the division, which would also be unfair.

I'm still baffled by how bad OML was. The direction they took was weird, basically a sound that left the charts 3 years prior, but that's fine if that's what you want to do. The main problem is the output was generic and bland with some of the worst features I've heard in a long time. Those Stormzy bars sounded like something he pulled out of his ass 5 mins before recording and were so out of place.

Even though there are a few bright spots, I have not listened to most this album since release and I won't ever again.

If you are going to change direction, do so boldly, don't make some generic forgettable excuse of an album.

Edited by GraDoN