Ribkat Musik Team Interview

hahninator

I logged on Facebook and since I'm subscribed to Takbir from Styles Of Beyond, it showed me his latest update - a Q&A session with him by his own "Ribkat Music Team". You can check the full thing out here. The reason I posted about this is that he brings up Mike in a few answers. Check this out - I'd love to get your opinion on what Tak says. I think he's taking it a bit too extreme personally (Ryu has an entirely different opinion/take on it than Tak, but it's still interesting nevertheless).

4) What are your thoughts, on how the whole Fort Minor/ Machine Shop records situation was handled?

Tak: "I personally feel that it was a bunch of bullshit. We (S.O.B.) put a lot of sweat into our last record for 2 years only to get strung along and crapped on in the end. I was extremely disappointed in Mike Shinoda because when everything fell through the wet paper bag he basically said "Sorry Fellas....See Ya" and that was that. I thought we would've had much more support from him and the horrible label but obviously not. I could ramble for ions about this but I wont....nuff said."

5) It's been rumored that you sold your Machine Shop chain for over $15,000. If it is true, can you explain why?

Tak: "Yes it is true. I had a "Super Fan" in Asia, who was obsessed with my chain who was willing to do anything to get it. "Super Fan" offered me a ridiculous amount of money which I didn't believe "Of course" until "Super Fan" called a relative who arrived shortly after one of my shows with a pocket full feddy. I said "Wowzerz" and simply handed over my chain with a sinister grin. I realized that we (S.O.B.) were bamboozled and got the good ol" "3rd Bass" treatment and signed a record deal just to get a damn chain which means nothing to me now and thats why I sold it..ya hurd?"

6) Is there anything you can say to the fans regarding the highly anticipated release of "Reseda Beach"?

Tak: "Man....what a "Reseda Bummer" sorry guys but like I said we were severely crapped on by Warner Brothers and wonderful Machine Shit oops I mean Shop.It really sucks because we have a lot of loyal S.O.B fans out there that have been patiently waiting for this record only to find out that its probably never gonna be released...."

Interesting. Last year Ryu posted some of his thoughts on the SOB Central forums. You can read about that here and here. Essentially that whole thread describes the situation. Thoughts?

I've tried to look at this as unbiased as possible and here's what I've come up with:

Mike Shinoda and Linkin Park went through hell suing Warner only a couple of years ago. Now, Styles of Beyond wants Mike to involve himself in another dispute with Warner to back them up?

I understand that they are friends, but why should Mike, who has his own career and FANS to worry about, risk his relationship with his crazy-as-hell label again? Just because his name is Mike Shinoda and he has a big name group?

What is Mike supposed to do? Bitch at Warner and hope his fame gets Styles of Beyond what they want?

I've tried to look at this as unbiased as possible and here's what I've come up with:

Mike Shinoda and Linkin Park went through hell suing Warner only a couple of years ago. Now, Styles of Beyond wants Mike to involve himself in another dispute with Warner to back them up?

I understand that they are friends, but why should Mike, who has his own career and FANS to worry about, risk his relationship with his crazy-as-hell label again? Just because his name is Mike Shinoda and he has a big name group?

What is Mike supposed to do? Bitch at Warner and hope his fame gets Styles of Beyond what they want?

That's the way I see it. Mike has a big name behind him but I don't think he'd risk getting his label / Tom Whalley pissed the hell off at him just so he can get the SOB record released.

I thought friends had each others back? Mike had nothing to risk at all. What is Warner going to do drop linkin park? Please.

I thought friends had each others back? Mike had nothing to risk at all. What is Warner going to do drop linkin park? Please.

Grow up, this isn't a damn high school fight. "What the hell man I thought you had my back! Aren't we friends??"

Are you serious? How old do you think they are? What happened the last time Mike got in a dispute with Warner? It took years for them to release another album, and was an absolute hell for the band.

Mike, I'm sure, has been through enough of that. He has his own fans to worry about, SoB needs to get that.

Edited by Xero21

Grow up, this isn't a damn high school fight. "What the hell man I thought you had my back! Aren't we friends??"

Are you serious? How old do you think they are? What happened the last time Mike got in a dispute with Warner? It took years for them to release another album, and was an absolute hell for the band.

Mike, I'm sure, has been through enough of that. He has his own fans to worry about, SoB needs to get that.

Mike could have professionally talked to the head of Warner about the issues and explained his point of view. It didn't have to escalate into anything beyond a conversation between the two. I think tak's rightfully upset because mike made no effort what-so-ever to help out sob after they signed with machine shop.

Edited by spraypaintninkpens

good point. But still, Mike had already gone through hell. It's like getting beat up by someone you tried to beat up than being asked to try it again just so he could keep their back.

Mike could have professionally talked to the head of Warner about the issues and explained his point of view. It didn't have to escalate into anything beyond a conversation between the two. I think tak's rightfully upset because mike made no effort what so ever to help out sob after they signed with machine shop.

Okay? And when that conversation leads to nothing because Warner is about as corrupt as they come, then what? Then SoB is gonna ask Mike to do more, cause he is the big name. Then more, then more, until finally it's Mike's problem.

But that's the thing, this isn't Mike's battle to fight.

I understand why Tak and Ryu would be upset, but Mike has to worry about his own life and career.

Mike could have professionally talked to the head of Warner about the issues and explained his point of view. It didn't have to escalate into anything beyond a conversation between the two. I think tak's rightfully upset because mike made no effort what-so-ever to help out sob after they signed with machine shop.

We don't know if Mike did that or not. As far as we know, he could have talked to Tom. We don't know if Mike made no effort whatsoever. As the head of Machine Shop, Mike I'm sure made an effort. It's very unlike him to not do anything when someone is in need. Unless I hear it from the man himself, I won't believe that Mike didn't help them at all. I'm sure Mike did SOMETHING, but we don't have enough information as to what and the extent that he attempted to help SOB out.

I'm probably missing something here, but to me Machine Shop as a record label hasn't really helped anyone out at all? It just seems to disappoint in the end? I'm not blaming Mike a 100% for that but I do think he should have possibly thought it threw a bit before giving all that hope to Holly and SOB (who both happen to seem really disappointed in him?), especially after the problems he and LP had with warner?

This is obviously mostly down to the big guys up at warner in the end. Which sucks because I didn’t think warner could sink any lower.

damn i met Tak at PR07 he seemed really humble and grateful to be out on tour with LP. It sucks to hear negative feedback now. So pretty much SOB and Mike arent that good of friends anymore?

Ryu still talks to Mike almost daily - they are very good friends. I guess Tak never talks to him anymore though. Then again, Tak and Ryu haven't talked in over half a year. Wow.

Why havent Tak and Ryu spoken? Differences? damn. that's horrible

Why havent Tak and Ryu spoken? Differences? damn. that's horrible

I have no idea. SOB really did "split" it seems. Ryu said they were just band-mates...he hasn't talked to Tak in about 8 months. Tak is doing some sort of solo-album and solo tour. Ryu didn't even have any idea about it until Jay brought it up in the chat recently. They only spoke because of SOB and SOB hasn't done anything recently, so they haven't talked. That's why. I never knew they weren't best friends. They really were just band-mates and weren't all buddy buddy like we thought they were. Weird man.

Well..............Things went really ugly........It's sad.

I think it is good that Mike put Machine Shop Record on hiatus since Warner doesn't want to support the artists signed to that record.

If Warner doesn't want to support them and Mike can't do anything about it, it is better that they let these people go and find better opportunity.

It is horrible to the artists being bound by a record company and don't have chance to put the record out.

As for Tak's Q&A, if I were in his shoes, I am probably mad to Mike and MSR too.

I guess this just shows the reality of the world and music industry.

Just to throw a little info into the ring: If I remember correctly, I think it was Mike who talked to Warner, and got S.O.B full ownership of the record when they left.

I don't know the entire situation obviously, but I tend to think that when Mike signed S.O.B, he thought things would go over smoothly, as they should've.

You may remember Ryu saying that Tom Whalley originally said he loved the record, and everything was going good.

Then all of a sudden, when he was asked why things had started getting held up, he said he didn't like the record anymore.

Whether it was political or what, I don't think Mike expected Whalley to bail on S.O.B and their record at the last moment.

I think it all essentially came down to Tom Whalley.

I don't think Mike intentionally did anything against S.O.B in the situation, and the fact that he got them their record before they left helps solidify my opinion on that (you know how Warner tends to be about completely owning their artists and said artists material).

Edited by JaySinkie

alright guys El Grande Master aka Hahninator said i should say this but pretty much Tak is also going out and playing shows in Asia (Taiwan as far as i know)

and i had this to say

lol how could he afford to go to Asia and not afford to put money into Reseda Beach?

Thank you for your time.

1 Dissappointed Fan in Takbir

and ill be glad to answer why i think this for anyone who wants to know

I'd guess, at least partially, he's getting shows and stuff through sponsors.

His music seems to have been taken well with a certain portion of the Asian public, and he's probably getting deals to play shows and stuff.

And for the record, they ARE getting things done with Reseda Beach at the moment, so they're not having a problem on that end, at least now anyway.

You're perfectly entitled to your opinion, but I wouldn't get disappointed at Tak on that front.

We don't know if Mike did that or not. As far as we know, he could have talked to Tom. We don't know if Mike made no effort whatsoever. As the head of Machine Shop, Mike I'm sure made an effort. It's very unlike him to not do anything when someone is in need. Unless I hear it from the man himself, I won't believe that Mike didn't help them at all. I'm sure Mike did SOMETHING, but we don't have enough information as to what and the extent that he attempted to help SOB out.

I understand that, we don't know the full story. With what tak wrote though, it seems like mike made no effort to help them out. I'm sure if mike made it known that he tried to help their situation then they wouldn't have been "disappointed in mike".

By the way mike responded to my comment on his blog and just re-directed me to his original post about the whole sob post which I saw months ago. Idk what really happened. I'm just upset my current favorite band( fort minor) is probably over now.

If they hate Warner and Machine Shop so much, why don't they find another record company?

Their contract requires 2 or 3 more albums. I'm not sure what the number is for sure because we don't know if songs from the underground counted or not.