Ribkat Musik Team Interview

hahninator

^^ Right...you beat me to it...and even once you do get out of a contract, sometimes it's hard to just walk away clean-break from it...so much red tape and more. It'll be interesting to see what does end up happening at the end of those 2-3 years.

As for this, I can understand SoB's frustrations, but as it was pointed out already, I'm sure Mike did what he could and not at the expense of himself. For them to get their album from Warner is a feat and I'm sure Mike helped with that in some shape, form or fashion. Ultimately, I think it just ended up being a series of unfortunate events for all parties involved.

Mark Terrell at 8:50pm April 22

I don't like how Tak frames Mike in this. That seems quite unfair after all Mike did for him. There's no way Mike just threw in the towel and said "here, do it yourself". He has a band he has to run, but I'm sure he worked and tried to help SOB out as much as possible. It's not his fault that Warner Bros and Tom Whalley are a bunch of inconsiderate assholes that run a very very anti-fan-interaction/fan-based label.

Ribkat Daniels at 2:51am April 23

"Frames Mike"?? what is this? "Forensic Files"?? Yo, someone's gotta have tha cajones to speak tha truth Playboy, and here it is. You act as if a person is not entitled to "Express Themselves, I dont give a F*&! about what U think, ur not in my Zapatos...So suck it EEEEEEZEEEEEEE!!!! Wurd 2 Jamalskee

Holy shit. Tak is fucking crazy.

Mark Terrell at 8:50pm April 22

I don't like how Tak frames Mike in this. That seems quite unfair after all Mike did for him. There's no way Mike just threw in the towel and said "here, do it yourself". He has a band he has to run, but I'm sure he worked and tried to help SOB out as much as possible. It's not his fault that Warner Bros and Tom Whalley are a bunch of inconsiderate assholes that run a very very anti-fan-interaction/fan-based label.

Ribkat Daniels at 2:51am April 23

"Frames Mike"?? what is this? "Forensic Files"?? Yo, someone's gotta have tha cajones to speak tha truth Playboy, and here it is. You act as if a person is not entitled to "Express Themselves, I dont give a F*&! about what U think, ur not in my Zapatos...So suck it EEEEEEZEEEEEEE!!!! Wurd 2 Jamalskee

Holy shit. Tak is fucking crazy.

Wow Tak is kinda way woa on this shit. Frames could have meant "made out to be" or "looked at". Cajones? Its cojones, Tak if your gonna speak in a different language use google spell check please. (Hispanic Here :) ) , Plus no where here did you try to tell him he isn't allowed to express himself. Suck it off? Damn Tak really? Your telling a fan , (out of a very small following you have) to do that? Damn you must feel like a real "gaNgSTUH" for telling a kid that over the internet. And obviously not afraid to express yourself too at the cost of looking like a dick. Pretty soon he will be sp3aKiN l33t 2! Go hardcore on the comp while your at it Tak. Wow majorly disappointed.

My reply:

"Tak can you speak any fucking English? Or actually, any Spanish? (Cojones, stupid). This sure is a different Tak than I read about on PR07 and even with FM...coming up and being all cool with the fans, etc. You really think Mike had 100% control over the situation? Remember, Warner is the one that took Machine Shop by the ropes and ran it. What is ... Read MoreMike going to do? Tell Tom to hurry the fuck up? What good is that going to do? I know I'm not in your shoes, but Ryu seems to have a different take than this on the matter. Regardless, you shouldn't put all the blame on one person. Tom comes into factor somewhere in here. And I believe Mike is the one that got you guys full rights to the CD when Warner released you. But I could care less what your egocentric, dumbass opinion on the matter is. Tak is no longer the awesome cat I thought he was. I sure am glad you like to TRY and be a cool gangster online and "tell off" some of your *only* fans that have supported you. Hah. No longer though."

Mike's position as the head of Machine Shop really means nothing. Warner owns Machine Shop, the execs at Warner are the ones who decide what does and does not happen with Machine Shop, and yes, Mike can make decisions, but Warner can approve or deny any of them as they please. Mike could argue with Tom Whalley for years about the SOB record if he wanted to and make whatever kind of threats he wanted, and it wouldn't do anything to sway his opinion, because Tom Whalley might as well own Mike Shinoda, as is the case with any member of Linkin Park, as was the case with Holly Brook, and as was the case with the members of SOB while they were signed to Machine Shop. It's not like Mike has much room to work with, since LP is contracted to Warner and Warner has almost total control over what they do. SOB trying to rely on Mike to get things straightened out wasn't exactly smart, because they were leaving their problem with someone who was just as helpless as they were.

Prisoners should know that it's stupid to try to bribe the guards, because the guards are nothing more than the warden's bitches.

I think Tak is really being crazy about this..I mean, he shouldn't have bashed Mark like that. Maybe he just figures that he will never be famous or big in any way, so he doesn't care about the fans? I don't really know. But Tak was my favorite member of SOB and Fort Minor, but now, I really have lost all my respect for him and I really feel bad for him, actually. He used to be so cool, I used to message him my lyrics and stuff online and he was always really cool about it, I met him at PR07 and he signed 2000 Fold and Megadef for me and he was nice too...sucks that he is this way now but oh well.

Their contract requires 2 or 3 more albums. I'm not sure what the number is for sure because we don't know if songs from the underground counted or not.

But can't they just terminate the contract or something? I'm positive another major label would take LP. Or can they not take the contract and w/e they release is legally WB's.

But can't they just terminate the contract or something? I'm positive another major label would take LP. Or can they not take the contract and w/e they release is legally WB's.

Only Warner has the power to terminate Linkin Park's contract.

Only Warner has the power to terminate Linkin Park's contract.

Well LP can just release like 3 short EPs with nothing but random junk on it and be done with WB right? And when they leave, they get rights to all their songs from Xero to w/e they have now right?

Edited by MarathonMan

Well LP can just release like 3 short EPs with nothing but random junk on it and be done with WB right? And when they leave, they get rights to all their songs from Xero to w/e they have now right?

Not necessarily, to either question. Warner has the final say in what LP does/doesn't release, so they can deny any "junk" that LP tries to put out to get out of their contract quicker. Plus it's hard to say what does and doesn't constitute an "album" since that would be defined in their contract, which we don't know the specifics of.

The rights to their back catalog of music is a fairly complicated issue, as publishing, licensing, etc. of both the musical compositions AND the recordings themselves would have to be worked out with the label (i.e. LP would probably have to pay Warner for them). Almost all major label deals these days have clauses that the label, not the artist, retains the rights to their back catalog after the contract expires. The artist can always purchase said rights though, and quite a few do, at least for the songwriting portion. Warner probably won't give up the rights to LP's catalog of recordings, so they can release new Linkin Park-related compilations after the band leaves the label (common practice in the music industry).