Metallica Cover

Garret

Let’s just say a little birdie once told me a few years ago that Linkin Park was planning on having a Metallica cover during the set of their U.S.Tour in 2017. 

Does anyone have any more info on this? Like what song, or if it is in fact true at least?

• 4 weeks later...

There is no point in asking him what song it was.

This was confirmed by Machine Gun Kelly when he was interviewed by KROQ, I think it was Stryker, either on 7/20/17 or 7/21/17. Linkin Park and MGK were going to cover a Metallica song in a collaboration in the Linkin Park encore of the One More Light North American Tour. He talked about just talking to Chester about it and how stoked both of them were about it, etc.

1 hour ago, GarretLP said:

I wonder if they took a Metallica song and turned it into some shitty pop cringe worthy fest like OML the album was. And then had the God awful Machine Gun Kelly rap over it. 

Doubtful since LP didn't really do much changing things when they performed full band covers. My Own Summer and Wish are pretty close to the original versions of those songs.

1 hour ago, leftshoe18 said:

Doubtful since LP didn't really do much changing things when they performed full band covers. My Own Summer and Wish are pretty close to the original versions of those songs.

True but LP wasn’t a bubblegum pop act back then like they were in 2017. And Machine Gun Kelly might possibly be the worst musical artist of all time. 

1 hour ago, xxHybridXeroxx said:

Agreed

Really excited to see Nobody Can Save Me, Invisible, Sorry For Now, etc live in person with LP whenever that happens. Battle Symphony too. There is a substantial amount off of that OML album that can be played.

On 6/25/2019 at 11:51 PM, GarretLP said:

True but LP wasn’t a bubblegum pop act back then like they were in 2017. And Machine Gun Kelly might possibly be the worst musical artist of all time. 

Bubblegum pop? Lol.

LP were never anything close to that.

9 hours ago, Alex said:

Bubblegum pop? Lol.

LP were never anything close to that.

In your opinion. Heavy and a bunch of other songs on the record feel that way to me. I love NCSM, even though it's pure pop, but it's done in a better way compared to other tracks on the record. OML is a good song as well. The rest are pretty much just pure pop with a lot of cringe worthy moments. I can listen to the record and mildly enjoy all of it but I do feel those criticisms when I do listen to it.

54 minutes ago, GarretLP said:

In your opinion. Heavy and a bunch of other songs on the record feel that way to me. I love NCSM, even though it's pure pop, but it's done in a better way compared to other tracks on the record. OML is a good song as well. The rest are pretty much just pure pop with a lot of cringe worthy moments. I can listen to the record and mildly enjoy all of it but I do feel those criticisms when I do listen to it.

Nobody Can Save Me is closer to alternative rock / pop rock, than to “bubblegum pop”

2 minutes ago, GreyFox-AFCA said:

Nobody Can Save Me is closer to alternative rock / pop rock, than to “bubblegum pop”

Well either way, I really like that song a lot. The lyrics are great, the vocals are great, the instrumentation is great. One More Light is also a great song in that regard. While it's more stripped down, the lyrics are great and Chester brings it with his vocals. The stuff that I don't really care for on the album are songs like Good Goodbye (very corny song IMO and the guest features are horrible), Heavy (don't like the sound of the song at all and don't like Kiiara's feature), Sorry For Now (had a lot of potential but the music is what really killed the song IMO, as well as Chester's verse, Mike's vocals and lyrics sang by him aren't that bad), Sharp Edges (is a tad cheesy, especially the ''what doesn't kill us makes us stronger'' cliche lyric). I also don't like Halfway Right at all, sounds like an unfinished demo and there's nothing that I really like about the song, don't care for the vocals, lyrics or music. Invisible is also one that I can't stand because it's overly cheesy. I know Mike wrote it for his kids but it's just not for me. Talking To Myself is also just cheesy. It's really the choruses in that song that I hate. The verses and intro, etc. are decent.

Bubblegum pop is an actual specific genre of music, one that OML doesn't even really come close to. It's definitely a pop album (with stuff like TTM leaning a bit more towards pop rock I guess), but it isn't bubblegum pop for sure.

• 2 months later...
On 6/26/2019 at 12:51 AM, Garret said:

Are you deadly deaf? Bubblegum pop is the worst crap ever and LP will never play this garbage. Have you watched some interviews with Mike from OML era? He said in one interview if people think we made some music like „oh baby I wanna have sex with you“ then they are completely wrong. We would never make this kind of music. In another interview he said „a lot of songs on the album can make the listener think of old songs by The Cure or Tears For Fears.“ There is definitely some awesome stuff on OML. On the other hand there is some worst LP stuff ever. I like 6 songs and that's all. And if you're talking about genres, there is some rock stuff on that album. Talking To Myself is indie rock, Nobody Can Save Me is pop rock or Heavy is soft rock mixed with synth pop. So please, don't tell me LP is a bubblegum pop act.

Edited by FromTheInside

10 hours ago, FromTheInside said:

Are you deadly deaf? Bubblegum pop is the worst crap ever and LP will never play this garbage. Have you watched some interviews with Mike from OML era? He said in one interview if people think we made some music like „oh baby I wanna have sex with you“ then they are completely wrong. We would never make this kind of music. In another interview he said „a lot of songs on the album can make the listener think of old songs by The Cure or Tears For Fears.“ There is definitely some awesome stuff on OML. On the other hand there is some worst LP stuff ever. I like 6 songs and that's all. And if you're talking about genres, there is some rock stuff on that album. Talking To Myself is indie rock, Nobody Can Save Me is pop rock or Heavy is soft rock mixed with synth pop. So please, don't tell me LP is a bubblegum pop act.

Some people just die for atention, he is one of those people, don’t even react to that Guy, you only wind yourself up when reacting to his shitposting.

On 9/13/2019 at 2:36 AM, FromTheInside said:

Was an old post but I'm bored so I'll comment on this. The sound of OML was definitely 100% pure pop for the most part. Yes, you have a few tracks that have a SLIGHT alternative pop sound, such as NCSM and a few others, but it's very minimal. Heavy was the lead single and that was 100% Disney bubblegum pop. Even had a feature of a Disney nominated artist on the track. The lyrics, yeah, they're not all ''I want to have sex with you'', but not all pop songs are like that. For decades, even in this current one, there have been pop songs about many things, even serious things. Pop is a sound. There are death metal songs about having sex, and nobody would call those a pop song. Pop is a sound, like I said.

Absolutely nothing on OML makes me think of The Cure or Tears For Fears. Some DBS tracks vaguely do, and I know Chester cited those are influences on that album. But OML, definitely not.

Now, it's my opinion that I think OML is garbage. I know some people like it. THP is actually their worst album, IMO, not OML. THP, IMO, was EXTREMELY bland lyrically, the sound of the record was shit IMO, and I hated the guest spots. But the songs at their core were just not good to me. Yeah, they brought back a ''heavier'' sound, but I'll just stick with old LP if I want to hear that, not to mention it was an entirely different heavy sound than old LP. OML is their second worst, IMO. I've listed many reasons why. The only song on OML that is decent to me is NCSM, I like that one.

But I'm not saying the band is a bubblegum pop act. OML is a bubblegum pop album. One out of 7 albums the band has made I would place in that category. So yeah.

Edited by Garret

It is pop in many parts, but it is not 'Bubblegum Pop.' Do you even know what Bubblegum Pop is? Cos this ain't it. 

I sort of agree on THP, it could have been so much better imo. What frustrated me the most about both the LT and THP eras was how many of the tracks were never played live. For me to get a real feel about a song I really like to see how it translates to a live setting. Especially as both albums were both written to be played live.

Really wanted to see I'll Be Gone,  Until It Breaks (in full), Powerless, Keys To The Kingdom, All for Nothing, and Mark The Graves performed live at least a couple of times. Roads Untraveled too, although I enjoy the recent performances of it I would have loved to have heard it with Chester.

Edited by Alex

On 9/15/2019 at 2:23 AM, Alex said:

What frustrated me the most about both the LT and THP eras was how many of the tracks were never played live.

This was especially frustrating with THP because I feel those songs would have transitioned very well to a live environment.

2 hours ago, leftshoe18 said:

This was especially frustrating with THP because I feel those songs would have transitioned very well to a live environment.

agree with this. imagine "Keys to the Kingdom", "All for Nothing" in live version. it will be fkin amazing. but yeah. unless they're back on stage and decide to perform it without Chester. 

16 hours ago, Stranger said:

agree with this. imagine "Keys to the Kingdom", "All for Nothing" in live version. it will be fkin amazing. but yeah. unless they're back on stage and decide to perform it without Chester. 

Yeah I would have loved to see KTTK live. It is probably my favorite from THP. It would have been a beast live.