Best/Worst guests of Chester's tribute show.

The list of guests was really huge and interesting, I just wanna know who are your favorite guests and discuss some details.

B E S T

1) Sidney Sierota - I expected nothing from her, she blew my mind.. great voice! the high parts.. the low parts she killed it!

2) Ryan Key - He nailed the whole song, perfect choice...

3) Steven M. - Dude has a unique voice, very haunting... blends perfectly w NCSM

4) Alanis - Did justice to the song, didn't miss a single note

5) M. Shadows & Syn - Lots of emotion from both of them plus M. nailed BID... killer solos by Syn

6) Jon Green - Join the band as a touring member, please.

W O R S T

1) Taka - He accomplished his teenage dream... sang SIB with his favorite band... he forced his voice a lot sounded very amateur

2) Julia Michaels - She was super nervous

3) J. Davis - This man can't scream and they gave him the most iconic screaming song in LP's catalog... also he mumbled a lot of the lyrics

4) Blink 182 - Totally destroyed WID

5) Gavin Rosdale - He has a cool voice but it just doesnt fits with LOATR.

6) Dreamcar - They changed the whole song and made it sound like a weird epic funk jam.

My favorites were (in no particular order) Jon Green, Jeremy McKinnon, Gavin Rossdale, Ryan Key, and M. Shadows. If y'all want I can make a big song by song review. Now that I'm more emotionally stable and can actually listen to the Chester Tribute show (listening to it right now actually) I can probably listen to the whole thing and make a review. Again, let me know if y'all are down for that.

Only two I wasn't huge on were Michaels and Davis. I also thought Steven McKellar wasn't too good on WFTE. Just didn't seem to fit that song.

Deryck, Ryan Key, and Jeremy were definitely the best guests, though. They killed it. Oh, and Jon, obviously.

Favorites:

• Sydney Sierota
  • Steven McKellar
  • Jeremy McKinnon
  • Ryan Key
  • Frank Zummo
  • Ilsey Juber
  • Jon Green (obviously)

Least Favorites:

• Alanis Morissette
  • Travis Barker
  • Machine Gun Kelly (his performance in inoffensive but yk)
  • Jonathan Davis

Wasn't a huge fan of Rossdale, though I think he did a good job. Just didn't stand out to me, maybe I need to listen to his performance more.

I love how people complain about Dreamcar and Blink for making arrangement changes to the songs they played on, yet if LP had ever done the same stuff to the same songs of their own accord the same people would likely think it's the best thing ever. Hypocrisy at its finest.

Jonathan Davis and Taka were the only truly bad performances from a vocal standpoint, and even Taka had great energy and was a blast to watch. Daron Malakian consistently screwed up his guitar parts and apparently couldn't be bothered to check if he was in tune before going on stage. Zedd's monumental screwup on Crawling was embarrassing, and I feel like he didn't rehearse at all. Sounded like he was just making up drum patterns on the spot.

I think M. Shadows' performance, much like everything else involving A7X, was quite overrated. He was okay, not great. Would have easily taken the title of "vocalist whose voice is most shot" for the night if Jonathan Davis hadn't been on the bill.

Everyone else did a great job as far as I'm concerned.

I'll do my top 5 best and my top 5 worst.

Best

Crawling: I don't care what people say. I loved Oli on this. I think he did a really great job. It was unfortunate what happened originally with the webcast, but I'm glad they released the corrected version. He loved Chester and I think he did him honor here. He genuinely sounded great to me and I've always loved Crawling, it's probably my favorite song off of Hybrid Theory.

A Place For My Head: Jeremy killed it here. I loved Mike's Warped Tour shout out before they started, too. Just an overall epic performance. I was shocked when I watched the webcast live and Jeremy came out. I remember freaking out because I was so excited for it, having loved the performance they did of it at Warped Tour.

Sharp Edges: Once again, I know a lot of people didn't like it, but I loved Ilsey on this song. She sang so good to me. Funny enough, I didn't love her on Talking To Myself. I think she nailed this one. I've always liked the song and I think she did it justice. She had the perfect voice and vibe for this track, which makes sense, since she helped the band write the song in the studio.

Leave Out All The Rest: I thought Gavin genuinely nailed the song. I loved how his voice sounded in the choruses. It's always been such a huge, epic song to me, and I'm glad they included it. I loved seeing Mike rocking out during the performance, too, you can tell that he really likes the song, he always has spoken highly of it.

Heavy: Unpopular opinion here again, but I like Julia Michaels a lot. I think she brought the song to life. I always wanted to hear her sing the song. I know that the band asked her to sing the song in the studio but she didn't want to be on the song ultimately. She said some really nice things about Chester after he passed and even though her vocals weren't perfect in this performance, she brought a good energy. Loved her stage presence. Kiiara did good as well.

Worst

Waiting For The End: I know a lot of people liked this performance.... I just wasn't feeling it at all. I didn't like Sydney's voice on the song and Steven McKellar didn't impress me much, either. I've never really loved the song to begin with but I don't hate it. I just didn't like the performance, plain and simple.

The Catalyst: People said I was crazy for not liking this performance originally, and I still don't. Deryck had good intentions and he seems like a good dude, I just didn't like his vocals on the song. To me, this is one of those songs that only Chester can sing the chorus, etc. in my mind.

What I've Done: One of my favorite songs off of Minutes To Midnight and I think Blink-182 sucked with the performance. Once again, I like Blink, but I just didn't like the performance. I think maybe another guest could have done it better.

Burn It Down: I hated M. Shadows on this. Another one of those songs, like The Catalyst, that I can only imagine Chester singing in my head. Was a very strange choice and even though a lot of people actually liked it, I didn't at all.

A Light That Never Comes: I thought Bebe Rexha was annoying as hell on the chorus. Don't like her voice at all. I know they had to play it because it was a fairly decent hit and you know Steve Aoki had to make an appearance, but idk. Just seemed weird and I ultimately just thought the chorus sounded ear piercingly annoying.

My Favorites are

1 Jonathan Davis on OSC - did justice to the song

2 Jeremy mckinnon on APFMH - Killed It

3 Gavin rossdale - Had the right voice for Leave Out All the rest

4 Ryan Key -Did a good performance of SOTD (loved the with or without you addition)

Disliked (had more difficulty deciding what i really didnt like more than i realized)

1 Alanis -both songs she did

2 Jon green on battle symphony- I felt he couldnt sing the bridge that well (trying really hard not to compare to chester here)

thats all i could think of

The best guest of the night to me was undoubtedly Jon Green who held the entire show together with Mike. That guy was a true saint and added a LOT. Even if Chester was still around I'd be advocating for them to take Jon out not as a member of the band but a touring guest who can truly add to their live show and help them out (not saying LP needs help but you know what I mean). He just looked so natural like he fit right in and he was in so many different parts of the show. I really hope they utilize him in the future. He reminds me of a British form of Mike kinda because he plays so many instruments, and his voice is beautiful. How was he not in the touring lineup of LP years ago?

Ilsey had me in tears on Sharp Edges. I haven't witnessed something that moving that was acoustic literally ever. Her voice is incredible. Watching her you could like feel Chester in her voice, it's hard to describe but that was so good.

Jeremy killed it on APFMH, we all know that. Thought Deryck did an incredible job on Catalyst. And loved Steven McKellar.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...