2017.06.18 - Clisson, FR - Hellfest

There's lots of shows on this European Tour, but this is the one we've all been waiting for the most. Linkin Park's next stop on the One More Light European Tour is in Clisson, France at the Hellfest.

This will definitely be one hell of a show.

got em

For those who haven't been keeping a close eye on the tour, this will be the band's second show of the tour in France. The last France show was the tour opener, at Download Paris in Brétigny-sur-Orge. A standard headline set minus an encore break was played, with all the goodies like the 'Fallout' and 'Roads Untraveled' mashup going into 'Talking To Myself' and new songs like 'Battle Symphony' (which we haven't seen in awhile) and 'One More Light.' This will be the band's 15th show in France, and since we already went over the history of the shows here in the Paris post, we'll stay light on a history lesson for this one. Check out the extensive look at the band's France shows in the past in the Paris show thread.

The band's most recent show was the day before this one in Monza, Italy at the I-Days Milano festival. The band managed to put together a stream for the show at the last second, though it was definitely a unique one; instead of being a livestream, it started about an hour after the show had begun and was released in edited thirty minute segments. We saw all the songs the band performed in glorious proshot view, though, so it was well worth it. Another great set from the band (though Chester did seem a bit off) that saw 'A Place For My Head' in the set and (finally) a great recording of the 'Remember The Name' intro to 'Waiting For The End.' The first verse of 'It's Goin' Down' was rapped over 'Castle Of Glass,' the 'Nobody Can Save Me' and 'Battle Symphony' slot was dropped likely due to time, and Mike rapped verse one of 'Reading My Eyes' over the bridge of 'Bleed It Out,' making it the first time since Amsterdam 2014 that the song featured in a setlist, the first time since Darien Center 2014 that the song was featured over 'Bleed It Out,' and the first time since Bayern 2011 that it was featured over the bridge of 'Bleed It Out.' Phew.

The 'Remember The Name' intro to 'Waiting For The End' really hasn't gotten enough credit. No proshot footage from Monza has been uploaded yet, so check out these performances of 'Invisible' and 'Waiting For The End' from the band's show last month in Las Vegas.

There is a reason this show has been to most anxiously awaited one so far. It's the Hellfest, a heavy metal and rock festival. On the bill for this fest is Aerosmith and Deep Purple opening the other days, with bands like Opeth, Autopsy, and Rancid also on the bill... then we have Linkin Park headlining while supporting one of their poppiest records yet. There are plenty of songs in the set that'll fit the bill just right: 'One Step Closer' and 'Faint' will definitely work well with this crowd. Songs like 'Burn It Down' and 'Good Goodbye,' however... maybe not so much.

There's a lot riding on how the setlist will go for this show, and there are probably two likely outcomes: a) the band says fuck it and plays the same setlist, because they're Linkin Park and they can do whatever the fuck they want, or, B) they change up the setlist and add a few heavier cuts into it in place of some softer songs. It's must more likely they go with the first option, but it's not unheard of for a band to this. An example is Muse, who headlined the Download Festival in 2015 and added heavier cuts into their setlist, like performing 'The Handler' for the first time and adding 'Citizen Erased' and 'Dead Star' into the mix too. For Linkin Park, they could add 'From The Inside,' 'Somewhere I Belong,' and all the heavy rotation songs into the mix and even whip out something like 'With You' by surprise, but perhaps it'll make a bigger statement if they don't make any changes at all. Either way, we don't really want to see the band get booed or bottled. If they remember their show at Reading Ireland 2003, surely they won't want to experience that, either.

Muse wanted to appease the crowd who fans of heavier music at their Download headlining show and added many of their heavier cuts (like this song, 'Micro Cuts'). Will we see Linkin Park do the same?

Based on who's going on before Linkin Park, they may need to appease the crowd. Supergroup Prophets Of Rage are on right before, playing several covers of songs by Rage Against The Machine, Cypress Hill, and Public Enemy. Interestingly enough, a member of the band - Chuck D - stopped by Linkin Park's rehearsals back in March. The band has worked with him before, namely on the epic remix of 'Wretches and Kings' he did. That'd be a good song to see added into this set to work with the crowd. Before the Prophets comes Alter Bridge, who are touring for their latest record The Last Hero (read about it here, if you're interested in it). They'll likely play a few songs from that album as well as some classics like 'Addicted To Pain.' Before them: A Day To Remember, Black Star Riders, Motionless In White, The Devil Wears Prada, and Northlane. It's going to be pretty packed. Of Mice & Men will also be playing this festival, so maybe we see an onstage collaboration happen with them, too.

Definitely check out this remix of 'Wretches and Kings' by HavocNdeeD featuring Chuck D if you haven't already. One of the best remixes of the band ever, and that's not an understatement.

Is anyone going to the show? There is a livestream of the festival, but sadly they don't stream the headliners, so don't expect to see the band on it if you tune in. You can check it out here if you're interested. For updates on the show, follow us on Twitter and Facebook. What do you think will happen? Will the band play a normal show or make some changes? Let us know in a reply. After a short one day break, the band will play their second headline show of the tour in Amsterdam before returning to Madrid for the first time in 7 years for Download Madrid.

Check out the rest of Linkin Park's 2017 touring schedule here.

Imagine how crazy it would be if, for one night only, they had an entirely new setlist full of their heavier tracks from all their albums.

There's no chance it'll happen, but still...we can imagine.

Said that earlier, but when fans bought so expensive tickets to go to Hellfest with Deep Purple, Aerosmith and LP as Headliners, who are far from Metal, then they cannot expect the heaviest at those concerts.
I read a lot of complains not just about LP but about Aerosmith and Deep Purple as Headliners and if all the Metalheads really wanna spend what 180€ just to see all these "small" Heavy Metal bands than I lost my faith in this community :D

A reaction would be, if the festival did not sell out and tons of ticket would be left, but somehow a lot of people will come to the festival, but it will be more than interesting to see how the crowd reacts.

And the sadest news is that ARTE (a German-French tv channel) does a live stream over the whole weekend but without the mainstage! :( So only smaller bands will be shown later

And you don't say Bayern 2011 if you mean Munich :P Rock im Park / Nuremberg is also in Bayern

1. Said that earlier, but when fans bought so expensive tickets to go to Hellfest with Deep Purple, Aerosmith and LP as Headliners, who are far from Metal, then they cannot expect the heaviest at those concerts.

2. I read a lot of complains not just about LP but about Aerosmith and Deep Purple as Headliners and if all the Metalheads really wanna spend what 180€ just to see all these "small" Heavy Metal bands than I lost my faith in this community :D

A reaction would be, if the festival did not sell out and tons of ticket would be left, but somehow a lot of people will come to the festival, but it will be more than interesting to see how the crowd reacts.

got your point, but

1. I don't think that DP, Aerosmith and LP are that far from being metal, all of these bands are partially branded as being metal.

2. I mean, it's called Hellfest for a reason :D

The band are kinda lucky that it's a soft Hellfest lineup with pop bands like Aerosmith playing anyway, so it's not quite like a traditional Hellfest, I am hoping to go to this festival next year for the first time. I just don't like France.

It's an amazingly well run festival with excellent production compared to most euro festivals.

The crew soundchecked From the Inside before the show. In comparison, they have been doing One Step Closer this tour for the crew soundcheck jam so far.

Post show edit:

Setlist is up. From the Inside made its debut.
http://lplive.net/shows/db/2017/20170618

What's interesting is apparently Invisible has a Remember the Name outro/ending? I guess we need a video to figure that one out. I wonder if it was like that at NovaRock too.

Nope, Novarock had the standard extended intro for Invisible. Nothing RTN related, just some technical issues at the start of the song.

Outro, after the song. Like RTN acapella. But that answers it anyway, lol. Wow you've seen so many LP shows all over the world...pretty cool.

Chester hasn't done a decent performance of From The Inside since 2009. Should just scrap it for APFMH

The 2015 ones I saw in Orlando and Nashville were A+. ROTR doesn't count because that whole show was so fucked without Brad, truly awful. Really a big fan of the song, wish they'd play it more honestly. Huge energy from Chester too.