Who will Linkin Park bring on tour in North America?

hahninator

As 2016 turns to 2017, we are anticipating Linkin Park's first full North American Tour this summer since Carnivores Tour in summer 2014. The tour in winter 2015 was unfortunately canceled due to Chester's injury after three shows, so this tour will be a long time coming for fans since 2016 was a year of no shows.

The question isn't really WHEN, as it's likely they'll do another August-September summer tour as the last two albums had, but WHO they will bring out. 2012's Honda Civic Tour featured support from Incubus and Mutemath while 2014's Carnivores Tour was supported by 30 Seconds To Mars and AFI. Those are big shoes to fill. 2015's canceled arena tour had Rise Against and Of Mice & Men.

As of now, Rise Against is supporting Linkin Park in Chile in May, but visits European festivals in early August. LP has never had to cancel a full tour in North America before 2015, so it remains to be seen if they'll try to get Rise Against back on tour with them or not.

With Incubus and 30 Seconds To Mars being two large bands used in the past two U.S. & Canada summer tours, Linkin Park might be looking to go big again in North America. One possible band is Blink 182.

Coming off of a fresh Grammy nomination for Best Rock Album, Blink is releasing a deluxe edition of their latest album "California", and say it's almost like a new album for them due to the release of b-sides, new mixes, and new songs. They are very much looking forward to getting back on the road in 2017. Right now, Blink is playing a few of the same shows as Linkin Park in June 2017 in Europe (Download Paris, NovaRock, Hurricane, Southside), but the band members do mention wanting to perform at Reading and Leeds in late August 2017, possibly knocking them out of contention for a tour with Linkin Park. However, they do have an eleven show UK tour that wraps up in late July making a Reading and Leeds appearance unnecessary.

Who doesn't seem likely to tour with Linkin Park? Fall Out Boy. Touring in support of American Beauty/American Psycho with the Boys Of Zummer Tour in 2015 and then Wintour in 2016, Fall Out Boy has played over 60 shows in the United States recently and has exhausted markets with their extensive touring.

Who would you like to see Linkin Park take out in North America in 2017?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been thinking that Blink-182 will be the band that Linkin Park brings out for a while now. It's obvious that the band is friends with them at this point, since Mark Hoppus played the Music For Relief show in 2015 with the band and also played a few songs with them. And then the Music For Relief 2016 Poker Tournament Interview with Brad gave me more suspicion since Brad said he had just ran into Mark Hoppus a few days before the tournament at the studio and they talked about how they were making their new albums, etc. And then Blink-182 has been announced for a lot of shows in Europe with the band this Summer as well. I think they would be a good fit to tour with Linkin Park, I've seen a lot of people saying they want Linkin Park to tour with Blink-182 and the band hasn't done a proper tour with them before. They would also bring in good ticket sales by doing so. Let's also not forget that Blink-182 was also going to play on the Music For Relief show in 2005 as well, but they had to cancel, anyone remember Chester's speech about the band before Points Of Authority/99 Problems/One Step Closer? Haha. And the band has also collaborated with Travis Barker of Blink-182 several times before, too. Once in 2013 at Steve Aoki's show for A Light That Never Comes and again in 2014 at the Music For Relief Philippines show, he came out on Bleed It Out. I could see both bands getting along well on the road as well.

Now, for other guesses at support acts, I think Fall Out Boy is a great guess, as well as All Time Low. I know Fall Out Boy has known the band for a while, and Mike is friends with the band as well, I believe. There is also that recent Christmas photo of Mike and Chester with Pete Wentz and Jared Leto. I think Fall Out Boy first met the band in 2013 in Japan at Summer Sonic and they took that group photo. They also opened for the band in 2014 in Europe, I believe. I could see them as a band that would fit well with LP as well. All Time Low would also be a cool choice. I think Jack from All Time Low is friends with Mike and a lot of people that Mike is friends with, and they're kind of an up and coming band, they might be cool as the opener of the tour or something.

I also used to think twenty one pilots would be their choice because of Chester's fanboy love for them on Twitter over the last few years but I think they're too big at this point to open for LP.

Either way, can't wait to see who they decide to bring out and I'll be at as many shows as I can be. I'm super excited since I haven't seen LP since Carnivores because the last tour was cancelled and what not. I'm more excited for the next U.S. Tour than the album at this point. Great post, Hahninator.

One possible band is Blink 182.

I was listening to blink as I read this :lol: Even though they're opening for LP in Europe, it seems unlikely to me that they'll open for LP for an entire tour (just like LP wouldn't open for Metallica for an entire tour, even though they were direct support for them in some festivals in 2013 and 2015).

All Time Low would also be a cool choice.

I would be stocked if ATL opened for LP. Should be a pretty cool tour.

I can see them bringing OM&M on tour again, even though Austin left the band. I'm pretty sure they'll be in Europe the same time as LP, so it's possible that they'll be avalible for a U.S run in July-August. BMTH would've been a pretty good option, but they're already doing a U.S tour this March-April and I'm pretty sure that would be the end of their touring cycle.

I was listening to blink as I read this :lol: Even though they're opening for LP in Europe, it seems unlikely to me that they'll open for LP for an entire tour (just like LP wouldn't open for Metallica for an entire tour, even though they were direct support for them in some festivals in 2013 and 2015).

I would be stocked if ATL opened for LP. Should be a pretty cool tour.

I can see them bringing OM&M on tour again, even though Austin left the band. I'm pretty sure they'll be in Europe the same time as LP, so it's possible that they'll be avalible for a U.S run in July-August. BMTH would've been a pretty good option, but they're already doing a U.S tour this March-April and I'm pretty sure that would be the end of their touring cycle.

They don't usually repeat opening bands for the U.S. tours at least. I don't think they will bring out OM&M again. But BMTH is a great guess, although, I don't think they will choose them.

Edited by Geki

Please no generic rock bands a la BMTH and OM&M. There are far more talented bands that they can tour with. I want them to really mix it up, and bring out something unexpected.

Agreed, I don't really want mainstream rock bands like a lot of the bands listed here. Blink-182 is cool to me because the first CD that I ever owned as a young kid was Enema Of The State, me and my best friend at the time both got the CD the same day because we loved All The Small Things (even though I don't like that particular track much anymore). And they're a great band and I would love to see them. All Time Low I love as well, and twenty one pilots would be cool as well but they are too big at this point, I think. The rest of the bands here don't interest me much.

Rise Against and OM&M are both bands that the band has toured with in the past and they don't seem to ever repeat tour support in the U.S. Examples being The Used being on Projekt Revolution 2004 and LP chose them in Europe 2008, same as HIM being on Projekt Revolution 2007 and choosing them for support in 2008 in Europe as well. Thirty Second To Mars being support in Europe 2007 and doing Carnivores Tour 2014 here in the U.S. is another example. There are other examples as well. I want a band that they haven't done a proper tour with before, like Blink-182 or another band. I don't want bands they have already toured with or boring mainstream rock radio bands.

Edited by Geki

Another note worthy mention about Blink-182 is that like Hahninator said, they are up for a Grammy this year, the band's first ever one. That is huge. And California came out last summer. LP usually brings out bands who have just had an album come out a year or so before the tour. All the pieces really come to Blink-182 being the band, IMO. Also, this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCTJa14hR2c

But there is another question, who is the other band? They have been bringing out two bands each time for a long time now.

Edited by Geki

Does no one else think Blink-182 is too big to open up for Linkin Park?

I understand at festivals they are opening for Linkin Park but on a full blown tour Blink-182 would NEVER be an opening act. Unless it was a co-headlining tour like Incubus/LP was. But I'm not sure LP would want to do another co-headlining tour.

I would be down for Twenty One Pilots or Chevelle.

Edited by Bliss

Does no one else think Blink-182 is too big to open up for Linkin Park?

I understand at festivals they are opening for Linkin Park but on a full blown tour Blink-182 would NEVER be an opening act. Unless it was a co-headlining tour like Incubus/LP was. But I'm not sure LP would want to do another co-headlining tour.

I would be down for Twenty One Pilots or Chevelle.

No, both are huge bands, but LP is bigger than Blink. It's not a situation like Muse or Metallica, which are bigger than LP. Although, California has done very well and is nominated for the band's first ever Grammy. 2017 will probably be a huge year for Blink. It might be a co-headlining tour if Blink is the support act, though, like Incubus and Thirty Seconds To Mars were. And Blink and LP are friends, so I don't see Blink having an issue with co-headlining with LP at all. LP also doesn't mind doing co-headlining tours because Chester has said a bunch of times that he doesn't care about that stuff, they just want to play, and they did it again with Carnivores after Incubus anyways.

But yeah, I wouldn't mind twenty one pilots at all, even though I'm not in love with them. They do seem a bit too big right now to open or even co-headline with LP, but you never know. I think that Tyler and Josh are both fans of LP and 2017 will likely be the end of touring for Blurryface, so we might see it. And we all know Chester loves the band, not to mention the sound of the new LP album might be similar in a way to twenty one pilots as well.

Edited by Geki

No, both are huge bands, but LP is bigger than Blink. It's not a situation like Muse or Metallica, which are bigger than LP. Although, California has done very well and is nominated for the band's first ever Grammy. 2017 will probably be a huge year for Blink. It might be a co-headlining tour if Blink is the support act, though, like Incubus and Thirty Seconds To Mars were. And Blink and LP are friends, so I don't see Blink having an issue with co-headlining with LP at all. LP also doesn't mind doing co-headlining tours because Chester has said a bunch of times that he doesn't care about that stuff, they just want to play, and they did it again with Carnivores after Incubus anyways.

But yeah, I wouldn't mind twenty one pilots at all, even though I'm not in love with them. They do seem a bit too big right now to open or even co-headline with LP, but you never know. I think that Tyler and Josh are both fans of LP and 2017 will likely be the end of touring for Blurryface, so we might see it. And we all know Chester loves the band, not to mention the sound of the new LP album might be similar in a way to twenty one pilots as well.

Was Linkin Park and 30 Seconds to Mars actually a co-headliner? I never thought of it that way. Especially since LP played 30 minutes longer than 30STM. I look to the Honda Civic Tour because every year that tour is a co-headlining tour. I was unaware Linkin Park didn't mind co-headliners I just figured they would want to play as much time as they can and always play last but I guess you can still do that on a co-headliner.

Twenty One Pilots has gotten big but I definitely feel like they are still smaller than Linkin Park even in the US. I think they could get even bigger touring with LP and I think they would jump on that opportunity if LP asks.

I really think Paramore would be a solid choice. There seems to be a fair bit of crossover with the fans, and they're fantastic live. New album this year, too. All Time Low is really only feasible if their album comes out WAY sooner than I'm thinking it will. I'd love for LP to take them on the road, but I just don't see it happening. I'd also be pretty surprised if good ol' Twenty Pilots went on tour with LP this year, mostly because they seem to just about be done with touring for Blurryface (it's coming up on two years for the album, and they've done, what, 3 or 4 US tours at this point for it, counting the one that's coming up soon?).

Blink is probably the most obvious choice, though. Big band, they know each other and have played together, friends etc.

Edited by SasstielExperience

Twenty One Pilots and Paramore have both experienced way too much mainstream success recently to open for a band like Linkin Park who hasn't had a top 25 single since 2009. I'd say the same goes for Fall Out Boy. None of these bands are going to settle for an opening slot at this point in their careers, and LP isn't going to demote themselves to second on the bill when they're the ones booking a tour.

Blink-182 makes sense, they're going through a rebuilding period of sorts since they've decided to move on without Tom. Their album did really well and they could certainly headline on their own, but the pairing makes a lot more sense at least.

I doubt Of Mice & Men will be doing any significant touring anytime soon (beyond honoring their commitments to shows they've already booked) considering Austin just announced a few days ago that he was retiring from the band due to his ongoing health issues. Those guys have some shit to figure out, because Aaron surely can't cover all the vocal parts himself.

I'll throw a name into the hat with Highly Suspect - they're a fresh band with a couple recent hits on modern rock radio, and they don't really have a lot of tour dates booked right now.

I really think Paramore would be a solid choice. There seems to be a fair bit of crossover with the fans, and they're fantastic live. New album this year, too. All Time Low is really only feasible if their album comes out WAY sooner than I'm thinking it will. I'd love for LP to take them on the road, but I just don't see it happening. I'd also be pretty surprised if good ol' Twenty Pilots went on tour with LP this year, mostly because they seem to just about be done with touring for Blurryface (it's coming up on two years for the album, and they've done, what, 3 or 4 US tours at this point for it, counting the one that's coming up soon?).

Blink is probably the most obvious choice, though. Big band, they know each other and have played together, friends etc.

You're right that Blurryface has had a lot of touring but I could see them doing it. Heathens was also a big hit this past Summer so they could do a set of all their songs and stuff. And then probably wrap up the Blurryface cycle in 2017, it seems plausible to me.

Twenty One Pilots and Paramore have both experienced way too much mainstream success recently to open for a band like Linkin Park who hasn't had a top 25 single since 2009. I'd say the same goes for Fall Out Boy. None of these bands are going to settle for an opening slot at this point in their careers, and LP isn't going to demote themselves to second on the bill when they're the ones booking a tour.

Blink-182 makes sense, they're going through a rebuilding period of sorts since they've decided to move on without Tom. Their album did really well and they could certainly headline on their own, but the pairing makes a lot more sense at least.

I doubt Of Mice & Men will be doing any significant touring anytime soon (beyond honoring their commitments to shows they've already booked) considering Austin just announced a few days ago that he was retiring from the band due to his ongoing health issues. Those guys have some shit to figure out, because Aaron surely can't cover all the vocal parts himself.

I'll throw a name into the hat with Highly Suspect - they're a fresh band with a couple recent hits on modern rock radio, and they don't really have a lot of tour dates booked right now.

Haven't had a hit since 2009? Wtf? Burn It Down? Honda Civic Tour 2012 was the band's highest selling tour in their career and Living Things hit number one. Carnivores in 2014 was also huge and The Hunting Party still did pretty well, even though it wasn't number one here. As for their touring, they have played so many big festivals and have done so much touring here since 2009 to prove they are still a top band here. And with a new single and album coming that are likely to be MASSIVE, I only see them getting bigger. And Paramore is definitely no where near as big as LP at all. They haven't had an album in ages. They just fired their band. They just opened on a tour in the U.S. They aren't bigger here right now. Just because they have a new album coming doesn't mean they are this huge name. And Haley for the record is a huge fan of LP, she said after meeting Chester backstage at Soundwave in 2013, so she would never have any problem opening for LP. LP is a huge global band and not many bands would turn down a touring offer unless they're a bigger band like Muse or Metallica or Three Days Grace back in the day. LP also have a LOT of respect from bands nowadays, most bands that came out after 2001, I would say. So many bands have come out in recent years saying LP was an inspiration to them and everything else. Also, on Warped Tour 2014, Chester said basically every person from every band told him that LP was inspirational to them and they love their band, etc. Of coarse you won't see huge bands like Muse and Metallica and stuff doing that but you wouldn't expect it anyways. Metallica also happens to like LP a lot and likes playing with them according to James. Corey Taylor is cool with LP now and likes the band and Chester. LP have become respectable, especially in recent years. They're only getting bigger, honestly. You're right about twenty one pilots, they probably are bigger than LP at the moment, but Josh and Tyler are also fans of LP and it doesn't seem too out of the question that they might agree to be a co-headliner. Highly Suspect is a good guess and I think a lot of LP fans would like them, too. Edited by Geki

^Yeah, Burn it Down was a huge hit that remained #1 for several weeks across the rock and alternative song charts, as well as crossing over to pop radio. It seems to be their last true big hit as of now. Hopefully, this album will change that.

Edited by crazygolfer

BID peaked at #30 the week it debuted and promptly dropped to #62 the following week. So sure, it was a minor crossover hit, but compared to the massive presence What I've Done and New Divide had a few years prior, BID was a blink-and-you-miss-it song on Top 40 radio. Paramore's gone through a lot of change lately, but that doesn't change the fact that Ain't It Fun was EVERYWHERE a couple years ago. Couldn't turn on the radio for more than 10 minutes without hearing it. Hayley Williams is a red carpet darling now, gets all kinds of paparazzi coverage and stuff like that. Maybe her "band" (which is really just her at this point, let's be honest) isn't a big deal right now, but anything she gets involved with will be. I guarantee there will be a couple mainstream radio hits that come from the next Paramore album, and that it'll probably sell double what LP's next album does because Hayley's a bona fide pop star these days.

Also, having a #1 album really doesn't mean as much as it used to, considering record companies purposely plan releases in a staggered fashion to ensure their big-name acts get a #1 album regardless of how well it sells. Living Things barely beat Maroon 5 for the #1 album the week it was released, and promptly dropped to #5 the following week. The album's been out almost 5 years and hasn't even sold 700,000 copies at this point.

The fact of the matter is, EVERYTHING Linkin Park has done post-New Divide has either not been commercially successful, or has been quickly forgotten by everyone outside of their fanbase even if it was successful. Tough pill to swallow, but it's true. If the Honda Civic Tour had been a regular LP amphitheater tour without the additional promotion from Honda and their partners, it wouldn't have sold nearly as well as it did. If Carnivores hadn't brought in all of Jared Leto's dick-riders, it wouldn't have sold nearly as well as it did. They've been very business-savvy in pairing themselves with people who can bring enough extra attention to make the numbers look good. The most media attention Linkin Park's gotten in the last half a decade was over the whole "calling the cops on Sublime for smoking weed" debacle a few years back - I know people who don't listen to LP whatsoever who still call them "Linkin Narc."

I don't expect LP's new album to do any better than The Hunting Party did, regardless of how good it is.

Edited by Astat