Short Album Update

hahninator

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's wrong with releasing like 20 tracks? ;)

Idk, I just never really liked when bands do double albums. I'd be fine with LP doing the usual 12 or 13 maybe tracks for the album and giving us some more with either an iTunes EP or through LPU CD's, etc. Sometimes less is more powerful, at least to me. I've really enjoyed how Linkin Park have crafted all of their albums over the years and they still want to make an ALBUM and not just do singles or bullshit half the album like some bands do nowadays. 12 is always a good number to me, but I wouldn't mind 13 or maybe even 14.

RHCP nailed it with Stadium Arcadium, one of the best double albums of all time.

Foo Fighters' In Your Honor was also greatness achieved, though one side was purely acoustic songs. I also loved Stadium Arcadium. LP and both of these bands are my top 3.

Edited by linkinepi

Idk, I just never really liked when bands do double albums. I'd be fine with LP doing the usual 12 or 13 maybe tracks for the album and giving us some more with either an iTunes EP or through LPU CD's, etc. Sometimes less is more powerful, at least to me. I've really enjoyed how Linkin Park have crafted all of their albums over the years and they still want to make an ALBUM and not just do singles or bullshit half the album like some bands do nowadays. 12 is always a good number to me, but I wouldn't mind 13 or maybe even 14.

The last two albums had like 4 filler songs each with a double album we can get a chance to have better stuff.

The last two albums had like 4 filler songs each with a double album we can get a chance to have better stuff.

Well, that's your opinion. I guess anyone can think something that isn't a single is ''filler''. I happen to actually enjoy some of the non single songs a lot more than actual singles. To me, I think 99.9% of the music that Linkin Park creates is amazing. I'm such a die-hard LP fan that I think LP music is 100% better than anything created by any other musician in history. But I don't really see how this logic means that we will get better stuff. Surely, not every single song will be a single, most likely. So having another album worth of music would mean even more ''fillers'' for you.

Let's just see how the music sounds and let LP do whatever they want. I'm positive that most people here will love the music, just like I know I will.

I don't even understand how is this possible.

I think it's possible in Geki's mind the same as it's possbile for parents to think that their child is the smartest, prettiest and successful kid in world - while he clearly isn't any of them. I do think Geki's relationship with the band's music is more deeper than most of us here and a bit complicated to understand from the outside. When it comes to his opinion Geki don't really care if he's right or wrong (most people don't but I'll need a separate topic just to explain it), he's writing what he feels at the very moment and this is why you can quote him today saying "Living Things is the most artistic album LP ever released" and a month later "Living Things is a pure garbage", just an example of course.

I can tell you that I find myself again and again reading some stuff that Geki said and my eyebrows almost reaching my hair, but then again this is Geki and you can try to understand it or ignore it and move on. You can't change his opinion and he might change it later anyway.

I think it's possible in Geki's mind the same as it's possbile for parents to think that their child is the smartest, prettiest and successful kid in world - while he clearly isn't any of them. I do think Geki's relationship with the band's music is more deeper than most of us here and a bit complicated to understand from the outside. When it comes to his opinion Geki don't really care if he's right or wrong (most people don't but I'll need a separate topic just to explain it), he's writing what he feels at the very moment and this is why you can quote him today saying "Living Things is the most artistic album LP ever released" and a month later "Living Things is a pure garbage", just an example of course.

I can tell you that I find myself again and again reading some stuff that Geki said and my eyebrows almost reaching my hair, but then again this is Geki and you can try to understand it or ignore it and move on. You can't change his opinion and he might change it later anyway.

I get it. My intention was never to change his opinion, I just said that I totally disagree since I think there are plenty other music out there that is far better than LP music. Obviously this is my opinion, maybe it wasn't necessary to say what I've said but I was surprised to read that statement.

Tinfoil was the worst. There was no reason to split Powerless into two tracks. Same thing with Consequence on LPU 16 and Pods on LPU 15.

I like Tinfoil honestly but I agree that it could have just been one track with Powerless, especially since the original version of the song was like that. I also think Empty Spaces and Foreword are both stupid, they could have been added with WTCFM and Don't Stay for sure. Also, good point about Consequence and Pods. No point in taking up track space to do those. LP actually has a lot of examples of this stuff that I didn't notice really.

I think by filler tracks he meant like Drawbar, Until It's Gone (for Transformers), The Summoning.

Oh, yeah, that makes sense then, good point. I think they do have too many of those types of tracks on recent albums. I misunderstood, I thought he was talking about the non-single songs on the main albums. Sorry JZE. The thing about UIG that always annoyed me is that it sounds nothing like anything on THP even remotely and you can tell that the band kind of forced it on the album. Final Masquerade is a slower song but it fits with the rock sound of THP because it's more of an alternative rock style song. UIG you can almost tell it was made for a movie/radio/commerical type of approach and it didn't really belong on THP, IMO. They could have chosen another song from THP sessions to make the cut over it.

Edited by Geki

Obviously this is my opinion, maybe it wasn't necessary to say what I've said but I was surprised to read that statement.

I disagree with his statement as well. Feel free to say whatever you want, I was just commented on your comment.

--

About the fillers thing, I don't really think that while they're in process they are like "ok we have 10 good songs so far, let's just pick another 2 and the album is ready". They're really taking their time with the studio albums - "only" 6 studio albums in 20 years so far - so I guess they put enough effort for all of the tracks that were chosen for the album.

About Tinfoil/Powerless I still think there were 13 tracks on Living Things and they pull out one of them just before the release. It's just a theory of course and it's based on the back cover artwork, there are 13 dots for Powerless and this is way too tiny mistake to be just a "mistake" in my opinion. I might be wrong but if that was the case it makes more sense for me. There are a lot of songs with a separate intro out there, but the thing here is that Tinfoil tooks another track's place.

About Tinfoil/Powerless I still think there were 13 tracks on Living Things and they pull out one of them just before the release. It's just a theory of course and it's based on the back cover artwork, there are 13 dots for Powerless and this is way too tiny mistake to be just a "mistake" in my opinion. I might be wrong but if that was the case it makes more sense for me. There are a lot of songs with a separate intro out there, but the thing here is that Tinfoil tooks another track's place.

Could have been Warm Spell which was released on MALL as Devil's Drop. We know it was from the LT sessions under Warm Spell and it could have been completed back then in 2012, since The Last Line was completed either in 2007 or 2010 thanks to Neal Avron's mix credit, we know that. IMO, it fits perfectly after UIB's ending. If UIB didn't blend into Tinfoil, it would fit.

I disagree with his statement as well. Feel free to say whatever you want, I was just commented on your comment.

--

About the fillers thing, I don't really think that while they're in process they are like "ok we have 10 good songs so far, let's just pick another 2 and the album is ready". They're really taking their time with the studio albums - "only" 6 studio albums in 20 years so far - so I guess they put enough effort for all of the tracks that were chosen for the album.

This could be another thing to ask the band if we had the opportunity. (the question thread)

I like Tinfoil honestly but I agree that it could have just been one track with Powerless, especially since the original version of the song was like that. I also think Empty Spaces and Foreword are both stupid, they could have been added with WTCFM and Don't Stay for sure. Also, good point about Consequence and Pods. No point in taking up track space to do those. LP actually has a lot of examples of this stuff that I didn't notice really.

I can actually think of a reason for some of those. "Foreword" was recorded after the rest of Meteora was finished, meaning it wasn't part of "Don't Stay". I guess their intention was for it to be the album's intro like "Wake" on Minutes To Midnight.

From the early A Thousand Suns interviews, I had the impression that "The Radiance" was originally part of "Burning In The Skies" and "Wisdom, Justice, and Love" was originally part of "Iridescent" (they mentioned BITS and Iridescent when talking about the speeches) but I can see why they would keep the speeches in a different track from the songs. They're cool when you're listening to the full album, but if you want to listen to just "Burning In The Skies" or "Iridescent", it's better to have then without the speeches.

Not sure about "Empty Spaces" though. Maybe it was the same case as "Foreword" where it was created after "When They Come For Me" was already done or maybe it was the same case as "The Summoning" ("the calm before the storm").

But "Tinfoil"? They had a full 6 minute demo from the A Thousand Suns sessions that they decided to finish for Living Things then, when the song was done, they decided to split it into 2 tracks, making "Tinfoil" take a spot that could be filled with an actual song.

I can actually think of a reason for some of those. "Foreword" was recorded after the rest of Meteora was finished, meaning it wasn't part of "Don't Stay". I guess their intention was for it to be the album's intro like "Wake" on Minutes To Midnight.

From the early A Thousand Suns interviews, I had the impression that "The Radiance" was originally part of "Burning In The Skies" and "Wisdom, Justice, and Love" was originally part of "Iridescent" (they mentioned BITS and Iridescent when talking about the speeches) but I can see why they would keep the speeches in a different track from the songs. They're cool when you're listening to the full album, but if you want to listen to just "Burning In The Skies" or "Iridescent", it's better to have then without the speeches.

Not sure about "Empty Spaces" though. Maybe it was the same case as "Foreword" where it was created after "When They Come For Me" was already done or maybe it was the same case as "The Summoning" ("the calm before the storm").

But "Tinfoil"? They had a full 6 minute demo from the A Thousand Suns sessions that they decided to finish for Living Things then, when the song was done, they decided to split it into 2 tracks, making "Tinfoil" take a spot that could be filled with an actual song.

Would be interesting to hear early versions of BITS and Iridescent with the speeches infused in them.

I'm curious how many tracks are gonna end up on the album. They've said multiple times that they've got a lot of material.

Also, they still don't know the release date?

I'm guessing 12 songs is a good bet :D

From my understanding of how albums work, having more than twelve full songs would require more than two sides of a vinyl to cover. Going beyond that you'd need more material to satisfy at least one side of a second vinyl, and then having an empty side is just impractical and frankly a waste of money.

Perhaps that principle has changed, and I'm sure someone can explain it better than me, but that's how I have come to understand it.

Whether this is true or not, this shouldn't matter in my opinion. It should all be about the album 100%. They can worry about other logistics later or maybe not even release a vinyl

RHCP nailed it with Stadium Arcadium, one of the best double albums of all time.

Yep, there have been many classic double albums released.

Tommy by The Who

The Wall by Pink Floyd

Exile on Main Street by The Rolling Stones

The Mother, The Path, The Mechanic by The Early November (Triple album)

Streets Disciple by Nas

• 3 years later...
On 12/4/2016 at 3:04 PM, Astat said:

They'll talk our heads off about how much material they've recorded and how good it all is and how excited they are like they always do. Then they'll cut it down to 12 tracks for the album like they always do. And then they'll never release any of the remaining tracks, like they always do (Minutes to Midnight being the lone exception).

Researching threads with Peppe for Linkinpedia and it's funny how accurate this was lol

Except it was ten songs and not even twelve.

5 minutes ago, Hahninator said:

Researching threads with Peppe for Linkinpedia and it's funny how accurate this was lol

Except it was ten songs and not even twelve.

Yeah, and then Mike makes comments like he did a few weeks ago on a stream, about how they only have a certain amount of material in the vault, like almost implying they're running low on demos and stuff like that... So either they don't record nearly as much as they claim they do, or there is more in the vault than he's claiming there is. Both can't be true lol