"Be Yourself" / New 2001 Setlist

hahninator

It's not often that we uncover new setlists from so long ago, but we recently were able to obtain the setlist for a 2001 show that was previously unknown. The 2001 US-to-Europe Tour was a string of US, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, and European festival and headlining dates from April to June 2001. Linkin Park played their first Rock am Ring show, they played two shows at Rock im Park in one day (filling in for a missing Slipknot at the second one), and visited several countries for the first time.

Sandwiched between the three Japan shows and their five show trip to Europe were two US festivals, one in Tinley Park, IL for the Q101 Jamboree on May 19, 2001 and the other in Washington, DC for HFStival on May 28, 2001. The 35 minute HFStival show was released in 2007 online and is a good listen.

We just obtained the Tinley Park setlist:

tinley.jpg

Just looking at it, you can see some big differences from the other 2001 shows. Papercut opens the show instead of With You or A Place For My Head (like the rest of the US-to-Europe Tour). By Myself is near the top, and the whole order is different. With Ozzfest coming up, the band was likely trying out different show openers to see what they wanted to start the set with. At the beginning of Ozzfest, they tried A Place For My Head and Points Of Authority before settling on With You.

One thing that's interesting about it is that you can see "Mellow Interlude" listed. Usually, Joe's interludes were listed by name in 2001 (LEE Interlude, SHORT Interlude, and FALLING DOWN Interlude). This "Mellow Interlude" comes four shows before the first known appearance of what fans have always called "Be Yourself" (some call it "In Yourself") over the years.

"Be Yourself" is a little short jam, about a minute long, that was confirmed to have been played at Rock im Park (show 2), Rock am Ring, and the first show of Ozzfest in Tinley Park (not the Q101 Jamboree show). It's possible that it showed up a few more times, maybe on the US-to-Europe Tour or at the beginning of Ozzfest, but it disappeared shortly after Ozzfest began.

It's referred to "Be Yourself" because that's what Chester sang over it at the second Rock im Park show. It also came after High Voltage at that show, like Tinley Park.

Our guess is that the piece was just a short little jam the band came up with in rehearsals to play live. Perhaps it was part of a song at one point, maybe not. With it listed as just a short "Mellow Interlude" on the setlist, we are assuming it was just that - a short piece to play between songs and nothing more.

Some of it is just too expensive, but we did get some of it. The tour itinerary for the 2000-2001 shows is pretty important since those aren't all 100% confirmed. For example, I've already noticed 3+ differences for the band's late 2000 tour dates versus what we have listed here.

Some of it is just too expensive, but we did get some of it. The tour itinerary for the 2000-2001 shows is pretty important since those aren't all 100% confirmed. For example, I've already noticed 3+ differences for the band's late 2000 tour dates versus what we have listed here.

Agreed. And the badge he's claiming belongs to Rob clearly has a "D" for the first initial which I thought was his brother, no?

The guarantee payments on one of their higher auctions is interesting but I assumed that was for the merch guy, no?

The PR04 laminate doesn't seem to be Rob's. As you pointed out it says "D."

Rob's would probably be a tour laminate which looks different.

Something like this:

PR04_1.jpg

In the description it says the payments were for the band, which seems likely to me. I don't think the merch guy would get $500 a night for a radio show. Also supporting bands on tours like this get very little pay.

In the description it says the payments were for the band, which seems likely to me. I don't think the merch guy would get $500 a night for a radio show. Also supporting bands on tours like this get very little pay.

makes sense

his prices are just insane though

The fifth venue (Winston Salem)on that list I just saw a show at last month, didn't know LP ever played there. Lots of interesting stuff on the list. 10/8 it says Brad out for Cincinnati. 10/9 looks like when My December was recorded in Nashville. 10/16 in Houston @ Numbers...we don't have that show listed. The tour laminate says the 10/26 San Francisco show was the date it happened. Itinerary sheet says 10/26 San Francisco and then 10/27 Sacramento, but no venues listed. It was a radio show so we can probably get a real date somewhere. 10/28 Phoenix is listed as being 10/30, but that obviously isn't right. Looks like the very end of the tour wasn't confirmed yet. We have most of this right, just missing 10/16 Houston and we need to confirm 10/26 or 10/27 San Francisco.

The fifth venue (Winston Salem)on that list I just saw a show at last month, didn't know LP ever played there. Lots of interesting stuff on the list. 10/8 it says Brad out for Cincinnati. 10/9 looks like when My December was recorded in Nashville. 10/16 in Houston @ Numbers...we don't have that show listed. The tour laminate says the 10/26 San Francisco show was the date it happened. Itinerary sheet says 10/26 San Francisco and then 10/27 Sacramento, but no venues listed. It was a radio show so we can probably get a real date somewhere. 10/28 Phoenix is listed as being 10/30, but that obviously isn't right. Looks like the very end of the tour wasn't confirmed yet. We have most of this right, just missing 10/16 Houston and we need to confirm 10/26 or 10/27 San Francisco.

We also probably shouldn't list this show:

http://lplive.net/shows/db/2000andearlier/20000922

My biggest question in all of this...why, after all these years, are we STILL referring to this as "In Yourself" and not "Be Yourself," despite Chester CLEARLY 100% BEYOND A SHADOW OF A DOUBT TO ANYONE WITH A FUNCTIONING SET OF EARS singing "Be Yourself" on the 6/2 recording? lol.

My biggest question in all of this...why, after all these years, are we STILL referring to this as "In Yourself" and not "Be Yourself," despite Chester CLEARLY 100% BEYOND A SHADOW OF A DOUBT TO ANYONE WITH A FUNCTIONING SET OF EARS singing "Be Yourself" on the 6/2 recording? lol.

We should follow the selist, Mellow Interlude is the official title.

We should follow the selist, Mellow Interlude is the official title.

Even though there's no recording of the show in question to actually confirm that "Mellow Interlude" and "Be Yourself" are indeed the same piece of music? Okay then.

Even though there's no recording of the show in question to actually confirm that "Mellow Interlude" and "Be Yourself" are indeed the same piece of music? Okay then.

Exactly, useless we'll get a recording of that show (which is highly unlikely at this point) or a setlist pic from rock am ring/rock im park 2001 we'll never be able to confirm it, that's why it will stay a hypothesis.

That's why I disagreed on adding "In Yourself" to the actual setlist on that page.

:lol:

I was gonna say if we confirmed that Mellow Interlude and Be Yourself are indeed the same, it would squash the "Be Yourself is Pictureboard" argument...but I have a feeling that would continue anyway since it doesn't make sense as is.

Seller listed new tour itinerary (2001) covering European dates (Sep 09 - Sep 25). Interesting thing is that it lists Top Of the Pops performance on Sep 13, which is not listed here at lplive. Can somebody comment that? Pic of the page with the dates can be found here.

Interesting observation, originally the TOTP performance date in pre-LPL guides was September.

But fact is that the 3 videos that we know: Papercut, Crawling and In The End are from March 2001. Chesters hair confirms that too.

If they played it in September again, we know nothing about it. They already played all their big singles in March.

Unfortunately itineraries are never a confirmation that something actually happened though.

But it's definitely worth investigation, also because that's a time period that was covered by way more fan sites than early 2001.

EDIT: Upon giving it some thought my best guess is that it was probably canceled by either the BBC or the band. It was just 2 days after 9/11, the Maida Vale show the next show barely happened. Maybe they couldn't make it due to travel restrictions, who knows.

If it happened we'd know about it, there would be at least photos of the performance.

Two days after 9/11. It surely was canceled. The 9/14 show barely happened too. We'd have seen some pics or something at the time. It's worth a look into the old fansites, and we'll definitely add the date but if it happened we'd know about it. Canceled most likely. Great find.

LINKIN PARK Answer your emails

We are sending our roving pop reporter backstage at Thurday's recording of TOTP with a sheaf of your enquiring emails. So what are you waiting for? Get 'em in pronto!

Thurday = 13.09.2001.

Source

yeah great find but it doesn't prove that the taping or performance actually happened.

EDIT:

They are listed to appear in this episode:

http://web.archive.org/web/20011021222440/http://www.bbc.co.uk/totp/lineup/index.shtml

but it doesn't say if it's a new performance or the old one

Nothing new here either:

http://web.archive.org/web/20011030080229/http://www0.bbc.co.uk/totp/videoclips/gallery_l.shtml

Crawling says April 2001