2015.07.22 - Shanghai, China

china.jpg

Not much is going on in the world of Linkin Park, so we might as well get the Shanghai thread going a little early. I'll do it a little differently and give a little background information on the band playing China.

Shanghai will be the third show in China out of five for Linkin Park, following Nanjing on the 17th and Shenzhen on the 19th. Linkin Park has played Shanghai twice before, going back to 2007 with Minutes To Midnight. The LPTV episode from that tour chronicles it pretty well, so check that out:

The band talked about that show for quite a while afterward. It was rumored in late 2006 to happen in April 2007....remember that rumor? Anyway, that was Linkin Park's first-ever show in China and it was a HUGE deal for the Chinese too. Their government was so paranoid that they had their military forces in full-on riot gear at the show just in case something went wrong. Mike later said that he looked down during the show to see those same troops "nodding along" to the music, smiling, and having a great time. Everything went off flawlessly....that's huge! Along with Shanghai, the band made a stop in the highly-demanded city of Hong Kong.

It took a lot to get Linkin Park to China in the first place.... as far back as the Seoul 2003 Meet & Greet on the Meteora touring cycle, Chinese fans flew to Seoul to present the band with a large banner signed by Chinese fans. It impressed Linkin Park and they actually decided to put a picture of this in the Live In Texas CD/DVD release *in the album's photo collage). The band's albums were selling so well there that they finally made it to China in 2007 and the rest is history....it went off so well they were invited back in 2008 for THREE stadium shows.

Usually a very "controlled"/locked-down country, one thing that is great for the relationship between China and Linkin Park is that the band is able to play these huge stadiums there that they can't play almost anywhere else in the world. Sadly, the 2008 shows were canceled and even though Linkin Park didn't play a big tour in 2009, they made it to that area of the world for a return show in Shanghai (at Shanghai Stadium) as well as a Macao show.

Shanghai unfortunately was subject to the government restrictions I'm sure you already know about (dropping two songs) but Macao was a great show too, ending the international dates for the New Divide promo shows. Hong Kong is extremely close to Macao, and Linkin Park has actually sold out every show they've ever held in Hong Kong (2004, 2007, 2011, and 2013) with their last show there even hosting a LPU Summit #9. Lots of fans in Hong Kong just made the trip to Shenzhen, actually.

This show will be at Hongkou Footbanging Stadium, the same venue as 2007 meaning this is where the band's first show in China took place. Pretty cool! This is the fifth Linkin Park show to be held in China and the third in Shanghai. Anyway, the band is using Shanghai as their "HQ" for this tour, meaning they generally live there and fly to each show and back afterwards (similar to Sydney in 2013 and Berlin in 2014).

Next, we'll cover what we DO know from this tour:

1. Keys To The Kingdom will not be played. The band did not rehearse at Third Encore as usual before this tour, so they held a rare soundcheck before the show in Nanjing. One day obviously isn't enough time to run through a new song so we won't be hearing the song this tour. It's actually unlikely to even come into the setlists in Europe since there will only be ELEVEN shows left on The Hunting Party Tour starting with Pukkelpop, sooo.....we might not ever see the song played live sadly.

2. Crawling is likely gone for another big period of time. In 2012, the band listed Crawling on Set C and Set B on the Honda Civic Tour at the first few shows, but never played the song at all on the tour. In 2014 (the first performance of it since July 2012, at Download Festival), Mike said that Crawling would be the first to go for new songs. Well, they kept a very short, sped up version of it for the rest. of the year. They finally brought back Crawling in FULL for both Mexico shows in June, but it sounded pretty rough. The band isn't starting the song as well as they used to...the beginning sounds pretty rough...and it's no secret that the song is hard for Chester to sing these days. We might have seen the last Crawling for a while, unless the band plays Hybrid Theory in full in October as rumored.

3. Mercedes Benz must have one hell of a deal for the Meet & Greets. The LPU is getting the short end of the stick on this tour...there are no customary Meet & Greets for them, which is surprising as it's Linkin Park's first tour ever in China. Anyway, Mercedes Benz sponsors this tour and has had all sorts of exclusive events for their car buyers. First, the press event (with an LP Q&A) the day before the tour started in Shanghai was open exclusively to Mercedes Benz car buyers in China. Normal fans weren't able to attend, but a few somehow slipped in at the last second. Next, with the LPU M&Gs gone, there are actual Mercedes Benz M&Gs before the shows, complete with a Q&A session and pictures with the band in front of a Mercedes backdrop. The LPU decided to hold LPU Meetups events in Shenzhen and Chongqing ONLY. These aren't customary M&Gs and the band's participation wasn't even mentioned. However in Shenzhen, attendees were able to meet Linkin Park but NOT get autographs. They could take one group picture with the band AFTER the Mercedes Benz fans could meet the band (again, Mercedes on top). This is very interesting as this type of thing has never happened before with a tour sponsor and should only be for this China Tour. The Honda Civic Tour in 2012 had their own M&Gs with LP, but the LPU also got their own. It is unknown why the LPU cannot have their customary M&Gs on this tour, and since the band has remained silent on these types of things (from Brad's absence in May to this situation), we will never truly know.

4. The songs are being performed censored. Even though the list of songs was approved to be played by the Chinese government, Given Up, Welcome, Remember The Name, and Bleed It Out are all censored. This is a first.

5. The Chinese police/SWAT team is intense. As you might know, there is no general admission section at these shows and they are completely seated. This is because of the Chinese government's fear of violence and/or a riot at the shows (since they don't truly understand rock music). Fans were instructed to sit down in their chairs at different points before and during the shows. Fans who decided to stand on their plastic chairs were actually yelled at during the shows.

6. Linkin Park won't do anything risky this tour. A song uncensored? A song not on the approved songs list? Highly doubtful. This is a highly successful tour for Linkin Park monetary-wise, and they are playing stadiums. Obviously they want to be able to come back every few years, so they'll play it as safe as possible so that the Chinese fans and more importantly, the Chinese government, are all impressed.

Anyway, this should summarize the tour to this point pretty well for you. We probably won't see these random new LPU Meetup events in Europe, even though there is no LPU Summit, because there will be LPU M&Gs. It is unknown why the band hasn't decided to hold a Summit for the rest of the touring cycle after Calgary was canceled in February, but hopefully we will see one in 2016. As of right now, 2015 will be the first year since the Summits were created that we haven't seen one, but 2014 did tie 2011's record for THREE in one year. We can't be TOO spoiled, right?

The tour continues on in Chongqing on the 24th and Beijing on the 26th before the band takes a break before Europe. The tour dates can be found here. Don't miss the Beijing webcast on the 26th!

Okay, I just finished reading your article. It's very detailed but some points of it seem ridiculous for me. About the seat section, it's nothing about the gov doesnt trust rock music. They treat all the stadium shows like this. I attended The fray and Yellowcard shows in Beijing, they were both playing in some live house. I didnt see any seat there. Also like music festival, there is no seat policy either. You could search the Korn show in Beijing in last year. Plus, I know the accident you talked about. It happened in Nanjing show. I need to tell you the men who yelled at the fan were not police or SWAT. They were just securities. And what you said didnt happen in Shenzhen show.

Now let's talk about the meetups. You have no idea right? We are the same. But Im pretty sure the Benz sponsor was chosen by the band without informing the Chinese company. The Chinese co even thought they would hold M&G before the Nanjing show. It's interesting that Chinese press called the so-called Benz press a meet up but the official here insisted it a press event. So I guess the band probably just doesnt want to people outside China to think they held meet ups for their sponsors' benefit instead of LPU members.

And your last two paragraphs, seriously, you made me speechless and feel sorry for you.

Okay, I just finished reading your article. It's very detailed but some points of it seem ridiculous for me. About the seat section, it's nothing about the gov doesnt trust rock music. They treat all the stadium shows like this. I attended The fray and Yellowcard shows in Beijing, they were both playing in some live house. I didnt see any seat there. Also like music festival, there is no seat policy either. You could search the Korn show in Beijing in last year. Plus, I know the accident you talked about. It happened in Nanjing show. I need to tell you the men who yelled at the fan were not police or SWAT. They were just securities. And what you said didnt happen in Shenzhen show.

Now let's talk about the meetups. You have no idea right? We are the same. But Im pretty sure the Benz sponsor was chosen by the band without informing the Chinese company. The Chinese co even thought they would hold M&G before the Nanjing show. It's interesting that Chinese press called the so-called Benz press a meet up but the official here insisted it a press event. So I guess the band probably just doesnt want to people outside China to think they held meet ups for their sponsors' benefit instead of LPU members.

And your last two paragraphs, seriously, you made me speechless and feel sorry for you.

Well.Last night I was at the Shenzhen show VIP2 3rd.There were traffic policemen there and asked people to sit down.And the people around me were just fucking zombies. Just know how to play their fucking cellphones and post Wechat.Fucking Terrible experience. I will never buy a expensive ticket like this shit again. Edited by Vorist

I was at VIP zone 2 (white chairs) last night. Saw a few security in our zone but they didn't ask us to sit down.

When people begin to stand on the chairs, they ask us to get down. But most of us get on the chairs again when they left.

Before the show, I saw about 20 police with shields entered the stadium through one of the entrance.

Well.Last night I was at the Shenzhen show VIP2 3rd.There were traffic policemen there and asked people to sit down.And the people around me were just fucking zombies.

I've read similar comments and I just don't understand why you care about other people at the show, I seriously don't give a fuck about anyone but me, If I see LP im there just for me and to have an amazing night.

I've read similar comments and I just don't understand why you care about other people at the show, I seriously don't give a fuck about anyone but me, If I see LP im there just for me and to have an amazing night.

I'd hope someone would have just a good experience as me though. A concert is about having a good time, but you can't be selfish about it. It's a shared experience. If someone falls over in the middle of a moshpit, for example. You'd have a good experience but potentially ruin someone else's by not helping out. Like Chester has said, "When someone falls, pick them up!"

TL;dr: Dont be a dick at concerts. Governments, that goes for you too.

I'd hope someone would have just a good experience as me though. A concert is about having a good time, but you can't be selfish about it. It's a shared experience. If someone falls over in the middle of a moshpit, for example. You'd have a good experience but potentially ruin someone else's by not helping out. Like Chester has said, "When someone falls, pick them up!"

TL;dr: Dont be a dick at concerts. Governments, that goes for you too.

O

Oh yeah, you are the king of the sing-along, fan of the karaoke master, your moshpit example is just so extreme, I would say that I don't give a fuck if the rest of the crowd is full of zombies, Mr Vorist wasted his time looking at other people LP won't come back to China in like 3 or 4 years if you are going to another concert just remember to have fun for yourself.

Edited by LPJZ

I'm sorry to be so pessimistic, but I don't think we'll get very different setlists in Europe. Maybe they'll reharse a little bit, making some little changes, but I think they won't debut anything and that the setlist won't change that much... I don't think they plan to make great changes for just eleven shows, unfortunately. I still hope they'll bring APFMH back, Europe deserve it! I also hope they don't cut ALITS or BTH from the setlist, since they are two of my favourite songs ever and I'd really love to see them in Rome. I also wanted to see Crawling, but I'm worried it's gone forever :(
I hope they'll replace POA with With You since I've already seen POA in Milan but never seen With You. The rest of the setlist is fine to me.
In conclusion, if they keep this setlist for Europe, with With You instead of POA and bringing APFMH back, I'll be satisfied :)

Milan was the same set as Wroclaw and it was: POA->OSC->Blackout/Papercut->With You->Runaway/Wastelands etc

I had hope for some changes, but now I want only ALITS, FTI, BTH, APFMH, Rebellion and FM. That's all.

Thanks for the reply :) I'm not going to attack you for your opinion. The only rock shows I have seen take place in China have been seated, BUT you live there so obviously you know way more about it than me - I apologize if I stated that incorrectly and I'll gladly edit it to correct it. All LP shows I've covered there have been seated as far as I know. The Shenzhen crowd stuff is well documented...security telling people to sit down, and the fact that there are/were military (or full-geared police) personnel at the shows. Vorist even said the fans were made to sit down before the Nanjing show.

I agree with you about the Meetups. LP is silent on our end, but it appears they chose Mercedes as the sponsor and somehow Mercedes has a monopoly on the M&Gs. At the end of the day, it's up to LP whether they want to meet the LPU so I guess they didn't want to do it this tour every show. Your last sentence in that paragraph I support fully.

Last two paragraphs as in .....? "This is because of the Chinese government's fear of violence and/or a riot at the shows (since they don't truly understand rock music)."