Keys To The Kingdom to receive live debut?

hahninator

It seems very likely that some songs will be banned. I guess we can expect Given Up since it was banned in 2009, and Rebellion as well. I don't think they will aprove The Catalyst and The Requiem, but that probably won't be a problem since they don't really play them in any form now. It seems weird to me the KTTK is on the list. I guess they were thinking about playing it at some point, and included it on the list "just in case". Highly doubt it'll actually make it to a set.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only a weird thing. We don't know exactly the reason, but if is the profanity that banned Given Up and Hands Held High, it wouldn't ban Keys to the Kingdom too, since the song has profanity too?

Probably because Given Up can relate to the poor conditions that some people have in China PUT ME OUT OF MY FUCKING MISERY could be inspiring to some chinese people to commit suicide due to the terrible working conditions.

ALL YOU FUCKIN' LAMES GO, AIMING AT MY AIMING AT MY NAME, KNOW, CAREFUL WHAT YOU SHOOT FOR CAUSE YOU MIGHT HIT WHAT YOU AIM FOR is somehow deemed appropriate for China? It's virtually the same thing as Rebellion, GU, and HHH minus the politcal lyrics.

The swearing intensifies the potentially shit-stirring lyrics. I doubt it has anything to do with the actual presence of the words. Bleed It Out is just a catchy, playful song, and the lyrics can't really be perceived as politically charged. And like said, they've played BIO in China. KTTK doesn't relate very well to political issues.

At least, that's my theory.

The swearing intensifies the potentially shit-stirring lyrics. I doubt it has anything to do with the actual presence of the words. Bleed It Out is just a catchy, playful song, and the lyrics can't really be perceived as politically charged. And like said, they've played BIO in China. KTTK doesn't relate very well to political issues.

At least, that's my theory.

I'm pretty sure you're right. The politically charged or, as you called them, "shit-stirring" lyrics is what'll get a song banned, not swearing. Swearing just gives them another reason to do so. Hence, why I assume GU, WAK, and Rebellion will be banned, and why KTTK and BIO will be allowed.

Edited by SasstielExperience

I'm pretty sure you're right. The politically charged or, as you called them, "shit-stirring" lyrics is what'll get a song banned, not swearing. Swearing just gives them another reason to do so. Hence, why I assume GU, WAK, and Rebellion will be banned, and why KTTK and BIO will be allowed.

What's political about GU?

The lyrics could be interpreted in a way that the Chinese government didn't like. The whole chorus and bridge, for example, could "stir some shit" to rephrase my friend Chris. It certainly isn't a song that's akin to either BIO or KTTK in a "fun jam" sort of way. It's a more serious song.

Not directly political, but the song's theme deals with a lot of frustration with a situation and self. Over the top self-frustration theming, e.g. "put me out of my fucking misery". China probably has this notion that that kind of lyrical content could lead to violence, towards self or others. It's a violent dissatisfaction song. KTTK never really implies dissatisfaction.

EDIT: In short, what Nick said :lol:

Edited by UnpopularOpinionPuffin

Not directly political, but the song's theme deals with a lot of frustration with a situation and self. Over the top self-frustration theming, e.g. "put me out of my fucking misery". China probably has this notion that that kind of lyrical content could lead to violence, towards self or others. It's a violent dissatisfaction song. KTTK never really implies dissatisfaction.

EDIT: In short, what Nick said :lol:

"I'm my own casualty, I fuck up everything I say, fighting in futility" seems just about on par. I'm pretty sure there is another reason for Given Up being removed, it really doesn't have anything to do with politics. Anyone know if China has a high rate in suicide? That could be a possible reason to not have the song played.

"I'm my own casualty, I fuck up everything I say, fighting in futility" seems just about on par.

I thought the lyric was "everything I see", first of all. Secondly, those lyrics are hardly as charged or aggressive as Given Up, and are largely negated by Mike's weird-ass rap verse. It's more of a comment with a twang of amusement than a violent outcry. Given Up is far more riddled with the dissatisfied theme than Keys, as I said. The most Keys does is hint at it, and it's hardly as upfront about it (see Given Up bridge, again).

@Hahninator, that was implied.

I thought the lyric was "everything I see", first of all. Secondly, those lyrics are hardly as charged or aggressive as Given Up, and are largely negated by Mike's weird-ass rap verse. It's more of a comment with a twang of amusement than a violent outcry. Given Up is far more riddled with the dissatisfied theme than Keys, as I said. The most Keys does is hint at it, and it's hardly as upfront about it (see Given Up bridge, again).

1) It's "everything I say", but I also thought it was "see".

2) Yes, we understand the concept of that. Does China? No.

I'm inclined to believe China does grasp that to an extent. Bleed it Out has a lot of lyrics throughout the verses that are along those lines, but it wasn't banned. If China didn't grasp the concept of not taking lyrics at face value, I guarantee you Bleed it Out would have been banned in 2009. Tone says a lot about the message of a song, and Keys gives off a vibe of just fucking around and having fun, whereas Given Up doesn't.

Say and futility don't even rhyme...I've been living a lie!

I agree with Nick. While the Chinese government is a little excessive with control and maybe a little nuts, I think they can grasp the concept of tone.

But at the same time, HT and Meteora songs are pretty aggressive with really rebellious themes, e.g. Runaway, APFMH. Maybe we'll just go with Hahninator's explanation and leave it there. Not worth debating over.

You guys love tearing apart everything I say, don't you? :lol:

I get that they understand tone. I'm not calling them incoherent or idiots. I'm saying they'd have the "better safe than sorry" idea behind this. The cursing example I brought up before was just part of the reason I said, I know BIO was still allowed.

Regardless, it looks like all of this speculation is in vain. The list is apparently a list of songs that are approved to be played given what the band has sent to them.

Translation, via Vorist:

Beijing City Commercial Performance Approval.

Foreign Performance Official Document Number:Jing A 2015 182.
Host: Beijing Chunqiu Culture Promote Company LTD.
Performer: American band Linkin Park
Date of Arrival:
Date Of Performance: 2015 07 26
Venue: Beijing Workers Stadium
Crew: 46 people
Setlist: Listed Songs

The characters listed next to the song names are just the translations of the song titles.

IT'S BECAUSE I'M A MEMBER.

How did this even start with me

EDIT: As I was typing up my synopsis of his on LPA, I had an idea about this. When LP had to drop songs, it was only in Shanghai. Macao had the full setlist. This document is for Beijin. Maybe regulations are by city, not by the entirety of the country?

EDIT: As I was typing up my synopsis of his on LPA, I had an idea about this. When LP had to drop songs, it was only in Shanghai. Macao had the full setlist. This document is for Beijin. Maybe regulations are by city, not by the entirety of the country?

Doubt it. I think the reason is that Macao got some sort of independence from the mainland for 50 years, starting in 1999. So the censorship rules probably don't apply there. Same with Hong Kong.

It would be interesting to see these list for 2009 and why LP didnt play other songs instead of GU and HHH. I think without the DBS encore the setlist was only 80 minutes and without GU/HHH maybe only ~75 minutes and that is a really short concert like they did in 2004 with 2 albums :P

so if they will not play GU and maybe other songs from the 2015 setlists tehy should play others songs instead.

You guys love tearing apart everything I say, don't you? :lol:

I get that they understand tone. I'm not calling them incoherent or idiots. I'm saying they'd have the "better safe than sorry" idea behind this. The cursing example I brought up before was just part of the reason I said, I know BIO was still allowed.

Regardless, it looks like all of this speculation is in vain. The list is apparently a list of songs that are approved to be played given what the band has sent to them.

Translation, via Vorist:

The characters listed next to the song names are just the translations of the song titles.

So I say All your worries and speculations are not necessary.

probability they use old set(but no UIB and welcome),If they play KTTK ==

awesome!

It's like China owns Hong Kong and Macau but I consider them their own countries. They have their own governments, etc...the Chinese just won't let go (no surprise). You have to have your passport stamped to go from one to the other or to/from China. Hong Kong competed in the 2008 Beijing Olympics on their own team. We put the Macau and Hong Kong flags on LPLive for the show pages instead of China, too. It's like they are 99% their own countries.