linkinpark.com is shifting from Ning

It feels on one side odd that they do it now, especially around the album release, considering the fact there is stuff to download. On the other side I gte it since they want to use the new host for launch of the album etc.

Edited by Jesper

Nothing like losing the community's shit twice now. Ouch. Not worth re-registering there after the swap. Really sucked when the LPU forums got lost...that was a great community there and that put the bullet in the forum when they redid it.

Nothing like losing the community's shit twice now. Ouch. Not worth re-registering there after the swap. Really sucked when the LPU forums got lost...that was a great community there and that put the bullet in the forum when they redid it.

I don't understand why people get upset about losing their post count or account history. You can still tell people, does it make a difference?

People saying that they won't go back just because it changed is the reason it died, no?

I'm talking about when they wiped threads that had been there for ages. That really does affect a site and community drastically. This happened on both the LPU and LP.com and look what happened - people stopped going. It's not just the post count or anything. It's the entire place being wiped clean and adios.

I'm talking about when they wiped threads that had been there for ages. That really does affect a site and community drastically. This happened on both the LPU and LP.com and look what happened - people stopped going. It's not just the post count or anything. It's the entire place being wiped clean and adios.

I know, you're right. I guess I'm just bummed out because I keep writing on the LPU Message Boards + the lp.com forums but there is such little activity, and when there is, there is little to no quality activity. I want to stick around on the boards but I know it's not gonna happen.

Can you imagine if we launched 5.0 with a brand new forum? Do you think the userbase would all come back?

You're right. You've got to admit though, it sounds silly people leaving something they love because the text history disappears. I know I'm just being lame but we should just be able to rebuild what we have as a community. If something drastic ever happened to LPLive and we lost all the text history, I know I'd want to stick around.

Anyway, if they completely remove forums I probably wouldn't complain. I just think it looks awkward when you visit a dead official band forum.

You're right. You've got to admit though, it sounds silly people leaving something they love because the text history disappears. I know I'm just being lame but we should just be able to rebuild what we have as a community.

Rebuilding until the next time.. And then rebuilding again and again. It's not like you can say it's happening only for one time, they can do it in the next years again. There are ways to keep the content database (threads, etc..) as archive or something similar, and keep the users database but they're choosing not to.

There is always a way to convert an old database to fit into a new system. Seems like they are just going for the cheapest solution. For a band that always talks about how they are using the internet, social media and all that stuff that seems pretty weak.

Rebuilding until the next time.. And then rebuilding again and again. It's not like you can say it's happening only for one time, they can do it in the next years again. There are ways to keep the content database (threads, etc..) as archive or something similar, and keep the users database but they're choosing not to.

There is always a way to convert an old database to fit into a new system. Seems like they are just going for the cheapest solution. For a band that always talks about how they are using the internet, social media and all that stuff that seems pretty weak.

Both valid statements.

Cheers for the input.

The worst part for me was losing some friends on there, and then not remembering their usernames. I didn't have a twitter or knew them on facebook so they were just gone.

In fact I think I joined LPL because I wanted a reliable and decent forum. IDK who picked Ning, because that forum layout was AWFUL. That's what lost a lot of people. And now with twitter and LPL/LPA, they've made the LP.com/LPU irrelevant for the more hardcore fans IMO.

I think they could get a lot of the more causal fans back if they had a good layout. I mean people still posted on the Ning one. I just can't imagine a worse layout.