Chester talks about "The Hunting Party"

danielpsoad-09

3news from New Zealand has posted a new interview with Chester. It's a very interesting conversation in which he talks about the sound of the new album, collaborations with Morello and Malakian, and a lot more. Make sure you read it because it's one of the good ones!

Tom is everywhere. He was here in New Zealand with Springsteen the other month.

You know, we invited him in with no expectations. We didn't have expectations for any of this. And if it works, and we like each other and it's fun, then our expectations become important. But let's just have fun first, you know? And we brought him in and played some of our stuff and said, "If there's anything here that you like and that you might want to mess around with, or maybe you hear something different and whatever, then we can stop and work on that. And if there's something you've written that you would like to hear us work on, then we're down with that". So we played him a whole bunch of songs and the stuff that we played him he was like, "Dude, I'll do whatever you guys want on these songs [but] I don't know if I can add anything to this stuff!" So that was cool. "Awesome, great, thank-you! So… do you have something?" And he busted out 'Rebellion', and had the riff and had a chorus. And it was like, "So yeah - let's just do that!" And we did it. And we recorded the track in a couple of days, we had worked out the parts, and Daron played the guitars and the bass, and left really the arrangements and the lyrics and stuff up to me and Mike. We wrote this f**king killer song. And it's one of my favourite songs on the record.

Source: 3news

Edited by Hahninator

"Some of the most fun gigs I've played in my professional career have been the Camp Freddy shows, where I've been playing with Dave Navarro [Jane's Addiction] and Chris Cheney [The Living End] and Billy Morrison [Camp Freddy, The Cult] and we're doing all these covers of songs and doing it for free at the Roxy. It's like… f**king cool!"

I'd pay sooooo much to see that. Wow. I love Camp Freddy and Chester sounds like a badass.

He also says Tom Morello came up with Rebellion. Now that's interesting. Is Tom on two tracks?

"Some of the most fun gigs I've played in my professional career have been the Camp Freddy shows, where I've been playing with Dave Navarro [Jane's Addiction] and Chris Cheney [The Living End] and Billy Morrison [Camp Freddy, The Cult] and we're doing all these covers of songs and doing it for free at the Roxy. It's like… f**king cool!"

I'd pay sooooo much to see that. Wow. I love Camp Freddy and Chester sounds like a badass.

He also says Tom Morello came up with Rebellion. Now that's interesting. Is Tom on two tracks?

To me it looks like Chester was still talking about Daron in that section. The interviewer said something about Daron and then went back to talking about Tom. It did say the phone was cutting in and out - maybe Chester just missed him changing the subject back.

After reading the interview in full. I assume that the whole talk of Tom writing Rebellion was just a miscommunication. In the paragraph above, they talk about getting into the studio with Daron. The next paragraph seems like it would be a follow up to that one, but for some reason the interviewer mentions Tom. It doesn't make sense why Tom Morello would write a song and then have Daron play on it. They probably just made a mistake and confused the two. I mean... this interview was conducted over the phone, and they also called Daron, "Damon", about halfway through for some reason. >-<

Edited by MONDREUS240

To me it looks like Chester was still talking about Daron in that section. The interviewer said something about Daron and then went back to talking about Tom. It did say the phone was cutting in and out - maybe Chester just missed him changing the subject back.

You are right also the reporter had some mistakes here and there, he wrote Damon Malakian and Rakeem.

From that I heard Chester hates nu-metal, but in this interview he said Around The Fur by Deftones is great, which is a nu-metal alike (not quite nu metal, more rap metal and alternative metal) record.

Well I mean Around The Fur's beat is essentially Papercut, lol. They were close to the Deftones when they toured together and Mike is still good with Chino...so it doesn't surprise me. Plus Team Sleep remixed My December for Reanimation.

Around The Fur is waaaaaaaaaay better than 99% of nu-metal records if you ask me. I also consider it as a landmark heavy record, one of my favorites ever actually. So I'm very pleased to see Chester is also a fan of it! :)

Edited by Qwerty18

Well I mean Around The Fur's beat is essentially Papercut, lol. They were close to the Deftones when they toured together and Mike is still good with Chino...so it doesn't surprise me. Plus Team Sleep remixed My December for Reanimation.

Around The Fur is waaaaaaaaaay better than 99% of nu-metal records if you ask me. I also consider it as a landmark heavy record, one of my favorites ever actually. So I'm very pleased to see Chester is also a fan of it! :)

Around The Fur is very good record, so it's not strange that it's better than many nu-metal records, but it still belongs (partially) to nu-metal. Another thing, that is still strange to me since Chester hates nu-metal, is that his favorite LP song is Papercut, which partially nu-metal too.

From that I heard Chester hates nu-metal, but in this interview he said Around The Fur by Deftones is great, which is a nu-metal alike (not quite nu metal, more rap metal and alternative metal) record.

He said that he hates nu-metal and he always felt like there were a few bands (including LP) that he didn't think fit in the category of nu-metal. I am willing to bet Deftones was one of them.

He said that he hates nu-metal and he always felt like there were a few bands (including LP) that he didn't think fit in the category of nu-metal. I am willing to bet Deftones was one of them.

I don't think he hates the original nu-metal, like Korn. I think what he hates in nu-metal was those nu-metal bands that tried to fit in when nu-metal was mainstream. Well, I wouldn't call HT, Meteora, Deftones etc. nu-metal too, because they made their own music that was similar to nu-metal, but wasn't, it was more of a mix between rap metal, nu-metal, rapcore, alternative metal etc. I think they should be labeled as alternative metal, because rap metal, nu-metal etc. are kind of alternative metal.

I don't think he hates the original nu-metal, like Korn. I think what he hates in nu-metal was those nu-metal bands that tried to fit in when nu-metal was mainstream. Well, I wouldn't call HT, Meteora, Deftones etc. nu-metal too, because they made their own music that was similar to nu-metal, but wasn't, it was more of a mix between rap metal, nu-metal, rapcore, alternative metal etc. I think they should be labeled as alternative metal, because rap metal, nu-metal etc. are kind of alternative metal.

Too confusing. I just hate all nu-metal, because it sucks, IMO. I only like Hybrid Theory & Meteora.