The Ultimate Working Titles Thread

Hmmm, this are not exactly demos. Chester tape is probably only with his vocals, without Mike verses.

I was always under impression that those four are the ones that Jeff sent to Chester until Serg brought it up.

I'm going to change that actually, I'm not really sure that Chester recorded those specific songs. I think we assumed that based on his story that he got 2 Xero tapes, one with the tracks and one with the instrumentals - and we asummed that the tape = the tape we have, which not nessecrely must be the truth since Jeff sent it to him in early 1999 and the Xero tape we have is from 1996.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This should be added actually because it seems the band all remembers the song, just not the title. Reminds me a little of the part of Fuse that starts at 2:22, could it be it and maybe Phoenix just wasn't playing it perfectly? We need Astat.

Definitely not Fuse.

• 3 weeks later...

Any known songs from High Rise that didn't make the cut?

Btw, a lot of the songs posted don't have some of the demo titles. Some songs had multiple demo titles. For example, ''Runaway'' should have ''Stick N Move'' as a demo title. Maybe they reworked parts of ''Stick N Move'' into ''Runaway'', similar to what they did with ''Fire In The City'' and ''21 Stitches'', but on LPU9 it's listed as a Runaway demo, so I'd say it was official. Also, ''Leave Out All The Rest'' also had ''When My Time Comes'' as a demo title and ''No Roads Left'' also had ''No Roads Left But One'' as a demo title, too. I'm sure there are more missing here.

Edited by Geki

''Leave Out All The Rest'' also had ''When My Time Comes'' as a demo title and ''No Roads Left'' also had ''No Roads Left But One'' as a demo title, too.

Those were more "alternate titles" than "demo titles." On LOATR in particular, they literally just had two titles they liked for one song after it was done, and they had to pick one or the other. NRL's title was probably just shortened because "No Roads Left But One" sounds really dumb as a song title...sounds like something Panic at the Disco would have used as a song title, except they probably would have put an ellipse or parentheses in it somewhere. "No Roads Left...But One" or "No Roads Left (But One)" lol.

Those were more "alternate titles" than "demo titles." On LOATR in particular, they literally just had two titles they liked for one song after it was done, and they had to pick one or the other. NRL's title was probably just shortened because "No Roads Left But One" sounds really dumb as a song title...sounds like something Panic at the Disco would have used as a song title, except they probably would have put an ellipse or parentheses in it somewhere. "No Roads Left...But One" or "No Roads Left (But One)" lol.

Haha very true about the Panic At The Disco joke. Yeah, No Roads Left But One would have been a bad title.

Any known songs from High Rise that didn't make the cut?

Btw, a lot of the songs posted don't have some of the demo titles. Some songs had multiple demo titles. For example, ''Runaway'' should have ''Stick N Move'' as a demo title. Maybe they reworked parts of ''Stick N Move'' into ''Runaway'', similar to what they did with ''Fire In The City'' and ''21 Stitches'', but on LPU9 it's listed as a Runaway demo, so I'd say it was official. Also, ''Leave Out All The Rest'' also had ''When My Time Comes'' as a demo title and ''No Roads Left'' also had ''No Roads Left But One'' as a demo title, too. I'm sure there are more missing here.

"No Roads Left But One" was already there.

I'm not gonna add "Fire In The City" to Given Up because the band said it was a different song. Just like Blue vs. Crawling.

I didn't add "Stick And Move" to Runaway because we never got a "real demo" of Runaway named Stick And Move. What we have on LPU 9.0 is just the portion of the original song that they used on Runaway.

One of the beats from So Far Away was re-used on Soundtrack, so yes, they at least re-used a small portion of that song during the Meteora sessions.

The weird thing is, the LPTV part that has that beat in it isn't identical to the released versions of So Far Away OR Soundtrack, lol.

Should I add "reworked into Soundtrack" to So Far Away?

I'd say you are right about everything except that Stick N Move SHOULD be a demo title for Runaway, IMO. It's on an official LP release and is labeled as a Runaway demo. Whether it sounds like Runaway or not doesn't mean that it wasn't a demo for Runaway at one point.

Four: Megatron, Optimus, Starscream and Bumblebee.

0:31

lol

Thanks. Added.

I just realized "Kingdom" was under "Unknown Year" and "A Thousand Suns" at the same time. lol

Edit:

Does anyone know from which sessions "Milk / Buttermilk" is?

I find it weird that we have 2 titles for it, yet it's under "Unknown Year".

Edited by lpliveusername

• 2 weeks later...

PRP: During the process of your new album there were a few title changes, such as "Mr. Hahn" to "Cure For The Itch" and "Esaúl" becoming "A Place For My Head", some lyrical changes and restructuring of the older material took place as well, what brought about the changes and which versions are you more fond of?

Mike: I am obviously happy with what's on the album (or else we wouldn't have committed it to tape!) but I do like the older versions as well. Most of the changes were done in order to make things a little more accessible. I wanted to make sure that people understood my lyrics. So I used metaphors that were a little more straightforward.

1. Another demo/different title.

2. Cure For The Itch was released before Hybrid Theory in some form/they played it live.

1. Another demo/different title.

2. Cure For The Itch was released before Hybrid Theory in some form/they played it live.

1. I heard that title before but I never saw any confirmation that Cure For The Itch was actually called "Mr. Hahn" at some point. Nice find! Added.

2. Could be the same version from Studio Finals 5/7/00 but with a different title. We might never know.

If anyone is wondering where the title "Mr. Hahn's Itch" came from, it's from a promo CD that dates from before HT was released:

http://lpcatalog.com/item/2000_hybrid-theory/promo/clone-cd_us1

Edit:

Can you give me a link to the full interview?

Edited by lpliveusername

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...