LP and genres (AGAIN)

Hi

I know that I already created a similar thread but this is for the mods: do not close/merge this thread with the other one this one has another purpose

Well the reason of this thread is that I want you to help me to create a top 10 of the most diverse LP songs, I want to make a video with those songs on it to letsome people know what the band is capable of.

Write the name of the song and also the genre that you think it belongs.

Guilty All The Same (Metal)

When They Come For Me (Is this hip hop? what about the drums?)

-

-

-

-

I personally would consider GATS to be alternative rock, not metal. WTCFM is hip-hop, and the drums seem to have an almost African influence.

Actually drums are of punjab (a region in India) folk music influenced , have nothing to do with Africa !!

This has been a popular misconception since ATS came out.

I have been listening to this kind of folk music drums ever since i was a kid . :)

Actually drums are of punjab (a region in India) folk music influenced , have nothing to do with Africa !!

I have been listening to this kind of folk music drums ever since i was a kid . :)

Oh ok well I stand corrected! That's interesting :)

Well the reason of this thread is that I want you to help me to create a top 10 of the most diverse LP songs, I want to make a video with those songs on it to letsome people know what the band is capable of.

The 10 most diverse... hmmm... Here's my list:

1. My December

2. Lying From You

3. Given Up

4. When They Come For Me

5. Robot Boy

6. The Messenger

7. UNTIL IT BREAKS

8. Breaking the Habit

9. With You

10. No More Sorrow

I'm not really good at labeling genres... I try not to do that to be honest. I just tried to pick 10 songs that give a decent representation of the different ends of the musical spectrum LP can go.

Edited by Justin

01. The Little Things Give You Away

02. Qwerty

03. Leave Out All The Rest

04. The Messenger

05. ROADS UNTRAVELED

06. Breaking The Habit

07. Given Up

08. When They Come For Me

09. Iridescent

10. Hands Held High

That's actually really cool!

Songs that represent their own "genre" in LP's music... hmm.

• QWERTY (Nu Metal)
  • When They Come For Me (Hip-Hop)
  • BURN IT DOWN (Electronic Rock)
  • UNTIL IT BREAKS (Experimental)
  • Robot Boy (Synth Rock)
  • A LIGHT THAT NEVER COMES (EDM)
  • CASTLE OF GLASS (Folk / Electronic)
  • What I've Done (Alternative Rock)
  • No More Sorrow (Punk Rock)
  • The Messenger (Acoustic)
  • Points Of Authority (Rap Metal)
  • Shadow Of The Day (Pop Rock)
  • POWERLESS (Ballad [not necessarily a genre, but I feel it's one of their most "ballady" songs])
  • In The End (Emo Rock [i feel like this song is their MCR song])

That's actually really cool!

Songs that represent their own "genre" in LP's music... hmm.

• QWERTY (Nu Metal)
  • When They Come For Me (Hip-Hop)
  • BURN IT DOWN (Electronic Rock)
  • UNTIL IT BREAKS (Experimental)
  • Robot Boy (Synth Rock)
  • A LIGHT THAT NEVER COMES (EDM)
  • CASTLE OF GLASS (Folk / Electronic)
  • What I've Done (Alternative Rock)
  • The Messenger (Acoustic)
  • POWERLESS (Ballad [not necessarily a genre, but I feel it's one of their most "ballady" songs])

[*]What I've Done (Alternative Rock) Simple radio "rock" song.

[*]No More Sorrow (Punk Rock) PUNK ROCK? Hell no It's just another rock song just like given up.

[*]Points Of Authority (Rap Metal) You mean nu metal?

[*]In The End (Emo Rock [i feel like this song is their MCR song]) Did you hear any emo bands before? I'm sure you not.

Edited by xdespisedkidx

[*]What I've Done (Alternative Rock) Simple radio "rock" song.

[*]No More Sorrow (Punk Rock) PUNK ROCK? Hell no It's just another rock song just like given up.

[*]Points Of Authority (Rap Metal) You mean nu metal?

[*]In The End (Emo Rock [i feel like this song is their MCR song]) Did you hear any emo bands before? I'm sure you not.

There are these things that exist known as "opinions"...

Rage Against the Machine definitely weren't nu metal - influential on the genre, yes, part of it? No way.

And yeah I agree Points of Authority is definitely nu metal, but aside from the rapping are there any real nu metal traits to Bleed It Out? It's not really got much low end for a start, with melodic guitar parts that are closer to classic rock or punk than metal. It sounds more like bloody Green Day than Korn or Limp Bizkit.

I'm not really good at labeling genres...

Same here, specifically to sub-genres, sub-sub-genres, and sub-sub-sub-genres (I'll stop here).

But if I can add something to subject: Session and I Have Not Begun if you counted it.

Rage Against the Machine definitely weren't nu metal - influential on the genre, yes, part of it? No way.

And yeah I agree Points of Authority is definitely nu metal, but aside from the rapping are there any real nu metal traits to Bleed It Out? It's not really got much low end for a start, with melodic guitar parts that are closer to classic rock or punk than metal. It sounds more like bloody Green Day than Korn or Limp Bizkit.

Yeah maybe I'm wrong with BIO but the rap part is aggressive, and the music is different just like you said. I think the topic name is wrong. For example: Just because they started to jam again (GATS) that doesn't mean it's a metal song. The question is. What kind of elements they use in their songs? Am I right? Sorry if I'm misunderstood something. :D

1. A light that never comes Dance Rock

2. When they come for me Alternative

3. Blackout Alternative Electronic Metal

4. Until it breaks Alternative HipHop

5. Castle of glass Folk Rock

6. She couldn't Alternative Soft Rock

7. The Catalyst Industrial Rock

8. Bleed it out Rap Rock/ Rap Metal

9. One step closer Nu-Metal

10. Breaking the habit Alternative Electronic Rock / Electronica

+ some that actually deserves to be on the list:

Burn it down Pop Rock / Electronic Rock

The messenger Acustic

Guilty all the same Alternative Punk Metal

Not alone Soft Electronica

Waiting for the end Alternative Rap Rock

High voltage (HT EP) Alternative Rap

Papercut Rapcore / Rap Metal

No More Sorrow Heavy Metal / Alternative Metal

I agree that "Guilty All The Same" has heavy metal and punk rock influences, but I wouldn't call it a heavy metal song.

There's songs on Hybrid Theory with a lot more rapping. Most of POA is just Chester.

I always felt like this song had a lot of U2 influence. I remember when the album first came out people were saying it was a rip off of "With Or Without You".

What do you mean by "emo"?

If you're saying this song has emotional lyrics then yes, most of LP's songs does.

If you're saying it sounds like MCR then hell no!

No More Sorrow Heavy Metal / Alternative Metal

Sorry but I fail to see how No More Sorrow is a punk rock song.

I think "alternative metal" would fit better.

Rap rock, rap metal, rapcore etc call it whatever you want it's going to be nu metal.

Have you ever heard of Beastie Boys and Run-D.M.C.?

They are definitely not nu-metal.

Korn is often referred as the creators of nu-metal and you don't hear any rapping on their songs (with the exception of some collaborations).

There's songs on Hybrid Theory with a lot more rapping. Most of POA is just Chester.

What do you mean by "emo"?

If you're saying this song has emotional lyrics then yes, most of LP's songs does.

If you're saying it sounds like MCR then hell no!

Sorry but I fail to see how No More Sorrow is a punk rock song.

I think "alternative metal" would fit better.

1) That's true, though I see POA as more of a rap-influenced song, if you can see where I'm coming from. There aren;t as memorable rap lyrics in other songs, who can forget "Forfeit the gam before somebody else takes you outta the frame, puts your name to shame"?

2) By "emo" I meant it's proper term: emotional. I see ITE as being about disappointing someone who matters to you. The reference to MCR-song was about it's emotional lyrics, not that it sounded like an MCR song.

3) I feel NMS is more of a politically-charged song, it's lyrics always gave me somewhat of a punk vibe. Nowhere near to the likes of Green Day, for example, but I feel it's their most punk-influenced song.