Mike Talks About New Linkin Park

hahninator

Mike discussed new Linkin Park, 'Guilty All The Same' and the music industry as a whole with Hip Hop DX. An interesting note is that he says there will NOT be any other collaborations for the album, contradicting what Brad just said the other day. The band will also be releasing a new song before the summer. The album title is rumored to be 'The Hunting Party' and will be coming out in June, so perhaps the new song will be released in May. Here are some highlights:

DX: Will you be doing any more collaborations for the album?

Mike Shinoda: No I don’t think so, only Rakim. It’s hard to follow that up with anyone else. I actually had a hard time rapping on any song after he came in, like Jesus Christ, how can I pretend I can rap after this guy’s been in the room? It was inspiring though. Honestly it forced me to go and take a long look at my lyrics and really push myself to write better stuff. Having him there and seeing him do it was inspiring. But the album will be released this Summer. At least one more song will be given out as well before Summer comes. Thats new info too, haven't told anyone else.

DX: The rest of the album, what are we in for?

Mike Shinoda: It’s a Rock record. It’s loud and it’s Rock, but not in the sense of what you’ve heard before, which is more like ‘90s Hardcore-Punk-Thrash. But from time to time we do flex the beatmaking and sampling and a record isn't done ‘til we add a little of that color to it. You even hear it in “Guilty All The Same” in sections. We break it down to samples that are made with the keyboard then switch it up with sampled guitars. We try to reference some of our favorite older music while still keeping it futuristic.

DX: When you approached Rakim for the project, what were his thoughts on it?

Mike Shinoda: It was so funny how that happened. We were in the studio listening to the track and originally I was gonna Rap in the bridge and I said as I was listening to it I thought it was predictable for me to rap a verse right here. Like that's not as exciting as it could be. What could we do that would be shocking? And I joked [that] you know we’ve already done stuff with Jay Z, what if we got Rakim? Like I thought it would be impossible, but the engineer was like I can get to him if you want me to. I said, 'You're fucking kidding me.' He said, 'You know my buddy back in New York was his engineer and lived near him, and I’ll just give him a shout and see if he can reach out and ask the question.' I said, 'Well it doesn’t hurt so do it.' Next thing I know a week later I was on the phone with the guy.

Source: MikeShinodaClan

Read the full interview here. Thoughts?

The guest thing is weird. Mike says no more guests, Brad says a few more guests.

I think the new song will be from Transformers 4 and will probably be a new song on the album. Or maybe the T4 song is with Steve Aoki. They were in the studio with him recently.

Honestly, I think maybe the ''guests'' Brad was referring to could have been Steve Aoki or Beck and whoever else they used to have do their live strings and stuff in past albums. We pretty much know that LP and Steve Aoki will be doing a song for TF4 and it will appear on 'Neon Future', which is Steve's upcoming album. It could even be a case of what Owen Pallet did with IBG back on LT. I don't think there will be any more vocal guests, I guess, is what I'm saying. Mike is the primary writer for the band and he knows a lot more than most of the members, so I am going with him on this. Chester was also asked a similar question in a recent interview and he only talked about Rakim, saying it was rare for them to have a guest and no one else could have done it, etc.

As for the new song coming out before the album, it could very be the song they are doing with Steve Aoki for TF4 and I'd be fine with that. GATS is enough to hold me over until June, honestly, but if they release another song from the album before it comes out, that'd be awesome too.

Honestly, I am super happy that Rakim might be the only guest on the album. I don't want tons of guests on a main LP album, save that stuff for live performances or remixes, etc. Rakim is fine.

I think Mike did this interview way before than Brad... Delson gets into a lot of details of the new album and from this Shinoda interview I get the impression that he is holding back a lot of info and he also didn't say anything new.

Maybe Brad messed up and gave away the info. about the guests, i'm pretty possitive that there will be atleast 2 more, hope they bring in a a ROCK SINGER.

Since I'm not sure who is right when it comes to collaborations on the new album, I wrote ...

This:

I don't know who to trust

no suprise (why didn't any other (band) member say something to me)

is it Brad ,or is it Mike

Who do lie

Actually I think Brad might be right, since Chester said that there will be more collaborations, too.

DX: The rest of the album, what are we in for?

Mike Shinoda: It’s a Rock record. It’s loud and it’s Rock, but not in the sense of what you’ve heard before, which is more like ‘90s Hardcore-Punk-Thrash

How to understand that? what does ''what you've heard before'' mean?

btw some kind of a stoner rock song with chester and corey taylor would be a great collab.

Edited by e-pcMAKzzz

I think Mike is intentionally contradicting himself and the rest of the band just to keep the questions rising. Him deleting his tweet about guests, and now Brad mentioning makes it seem like it's going to happen. Either the label wants it to keep things a surprise until the album is officially announced, or maybe they're not gonna make the album track list? Highly doubt it though considering they hardly do it and wouldn't waste their time

It's kind of irritating me that the album isn't finished yet. I know the band wants to do a less conventional approach this time around, but the album is coming out in June and I feel like the album should be ready at this point, at least the songs. The only thing left to do should be mixing and mastering and then doing promo.