The BPM and keys of the new album

Posted Image

So this is a question for somene who knows about this.. are these bpm and keys the usual ones that they use?

specially the keys, i know that the BPM can chance a lot but i heard that LP most of the time uses the same key, i'm not a musician probably i'm wrong.

Source: Mike Shinoda instagram

http://instagram.com/p/iDDueQjmXL/

breaking news: sneak peak of a new song

http://instagram.com/p/iDEeBEjmX9/

LOL

Edited by Linkin JZÉ

Tempo-wise, the most noteworthy things are the songs at 170-200 BPM. That's VERY fast. Obviously that may not be an indicator of overall "feel," depending on the mood of the music or how they sub-divide the notes (one of the fastest LP songs tempo-wise is actually Breaking the Habit, believe it or not), but usually stuff that has a half-time feel will just be written that way for the sake of not having a million measures crammed into a song (85-100 BPM). The tracks with BPMs that aren't a multiple of 5 are also odd, most musicians tend to round to the nearest 5 when calculating BPMs just because it makes for simpler math if they want to manually move stuff around from beat to beat.

Keys don't really mean a lot, LP's written in a lot of different keys. Their two most commonly used ones over the past two albums have been A minor and D minor. The different "modes" just refer to different scales used in the root key. For example, D Phrygian is based off of the D minor scale, but the second scale degree is flattened.

So instead of a D minor scale: D E F G A Bb C D

You get this instead: D Eb F G A Bb C D

The phrygian mode was a pretty commonly-used thing in early Linkin Park songs. One Step Closer and Figure.09 come to mind. Again, not something that can really be used to determine what a song's going to sound like.

I think the most significant thing this shows is that they have at least 24 different demos in play at this point. Album's definitely still far from done.

AWESOME post astat i was waiting for your answer!

thanks for all the info, hard to believe that BTH has faster BPM lol and yeah it seems that they are in the last stage of the process, 24 songs to narrow them to 12 again!

hope they put out a 15 song album.

Edited by Linkin JZÉ

Maybe Mike trolling us again. :lol:

I honestly thought that words like "ionian" and "phrygian" were a joke to make people think everything they're doing is super technical. was convinced ALL of this was a joke until Astat's post :/

I honestly thought that words like "ionian" and "phrygian" were a joke to make people think everything they're doing is super technical. was convinced ALL of this was a joke until Astat's post :/

I known they are music theory words but about tempos. I can't belive they make very fast songs between 170 and 200 BPM.

The drum-only song is interesting, especially since it made it on to the list, so it must have more than just a drum track to it. Probably going to end up as an instrumental pentultimate track again.

At the moment, not looking like there will be some slow songs like The Messenger or really any acoustic songs.

Seeing the measures and more music info would help to tell us what direction they are headed in for songwriting.

About the different modes (Astat, lend a hand) like ionian, phrygian, myxolydian, and the partial keys. Does this mean potential SOLOS on these songs? I'm thinking we can at least expect returning riffs like OSC and LFY, maybe even better

I prefer "shoutbox" to tell/write such things

Whatever is my thread

just kidding

well is just a little bit related, because it's th same song that Brad sang in the video that i posted :P

I hope that the new album gets energetic songs, they promised us that for LT and they gave us a bunch of slow tracks.

Whatever is my thread

just kidding

well is just a little bit related, because it's th same song that Brad sang in the video that i posted :P

I hope that the new album gets energetic songs, they promised us that for LT and they gave us a bunch of slow tracks.

I didn't notice that it's the same song Brad sang.

Whatever is my thread

just kidding

Lol sometimes I don't see your spoiler text and just think you're a dick :P

• 2 weeks later...

first time ive seen brad use a 335. astat will probably correct me as usual lol.

There was an interview around the time Living Things came out that mentioned them having one in the studio, but that's the first time I've actually seen it myself. It's one of Ethan Mates' guitars.