Chester, Phoenix, & STP Live - June 28 (Salt Lake City)

Rasputin 93

"Linkin Park's Chester Bennington and Phoenix, as well as members of the Stone Temple Pilots band performed at a June 28, 2013, ribbon cutting at Primary Children's Medical Center.

Three years ago Friday, 17-year-old Sophie Barton died of a heart attack while hiking with friends in Summit County. She was a talented singer who often performed for patients at Primary Children’s Medical Center. A musical therapy room, named in honor of Sophie, opened on Friday. It’s the first of its kind in any children’s hospital in the country.

Steve Young and wife Barbara, who raised funds for the room, and musician Chester Bennington, from the Stone Temple Pilots and Linkin Park, were among the celebrities at the opening. Sophie’s family are close friends with Steve and Barbara Young, and together they came up with a plan to honor Sophie’s memory and help heal sick kids.

Through their Forever Young Foundation, Steve and Barbara met Chester Bennington, singer for the rock bands Linkin Park and Stone Temple Pilots. When they asked Bennington to be part of the opening of Sophie’s Place, he and the Stone Temple Pilots jumped at the chance.

“To see it happen today and the opening of the first Sophie’s Place is really an honor and a privilege to be a part of,” Bennington said. “So thanks for having us and we’re going to play some music.”"

Chester and Phoenix performed 'The Messenger' and Stone Temple Pilots (with Chester) performed 'Pretty Penny' and 'Big Empty'.

Alternate video of 'The Messenger'.

Interviews about the event and snippets of 'Pretty Penny and 'Big Empty' by Stone Temple Pilots can be seen here.

EDIT: 'Pretty Penny' in full:

Edited by Hahninator

sounds little different from the last times right?

Yeah, Dave uses a slightly different strumming pattern. And when Brad and Chester play this song, they mute the first (highest) string, while Dave doesn't. Edited by dark_master

Wow really interesting how the media in this story portrayed Chester as being from "Stone Temple Pilots and also Linkin Park". Even the description under his name when he first appears in that video.

"Chester and his band STP jumped at the chance." What about LP jumping at the chance? lol

Wow really interesting how the media in this story portrayed Chester as being from "Stone Temple Pilots and also Linkin Park". Even the description under his name when he first appears in that video.

"Chester and his band STP jumped at the chance." What about LP jumping at the chance? lol

maybe because all STP members was there, or maybe they don't really know LP.

I suppose they could've easily played My December that way too.

My December lyrics are for who sing it, The Messenger is for who listen to it. sometimes it's matter.

are you really want sing to those kids: "give it all away"?

Edited by Skipees

My December lyrics are for who sing it, The Messenger is for who listen to it. sometimes it's matter.

are you really want sing to those kids: "give it all away"?

You are right, but he also performed "Big Empty". Definitely not the best song for this event.

Well, at least it wasn't "Sex Type Thing". lol. That would be priceless.

You are right, but he also performed "Big Empty". Definitely not the best song for this event.

Well, at least it wasn't "Sex Type Thing". lol. That would be priceless.

you made me think about STP songs, and i found out - hey, we can get a real live version of Wonderful now. Edited by Skipees

It would definitely be interesting if they played Wonderful sometime. Maybe when they tour they'll do it. I expect there to be some sort of USA tour in September or October.

In regards to The Messenger, I like the Phoenix version more than when Chester plays it. So Brad, Phoenix, Chester for me in terms of how it sounds. But when I heard Chester play it in person in 2011 in Sunrise, it sounded almost exactly how Brad plays it. I guess it changes.

It would definitely be interesting if they played Wonderful sometime. Maybe when they tour they'll do it. I expect there to be some sort of USA tour in September or October.

In regards to The Messenger, I like the Phoenix version more than when Chester plays it. So Brad, Phoenix, Chester for me in terms of how it sounds. But when I heard Chester play it in person in 2011 in Sunrise, it sounded almost exactly how Brad plays it. I guess it changes.

Chester plays it almost identical to Brad, I think Brad just plays it a little slower.

Is that me or they both look old ?

I mean, they might not be 20 anymore but they have a lot of grey hair (especially Phoenix) and Chester's hairstyle isn't really beautiful in my opinion

What do you think ?

yeah I thought the same about Dave :D