The 4.0 Updates Blog

hahninator

Alright guys, here's the deal with 4.0.

I'll be making regular posts to this thread to let you know how 4.0 is going, what updates we're working on, and the overall progress of the site as it comes along. I decided to make it a thread because I'd like some user feedback and some discussion. I'll address any questions you have, etc, and provide frequent updates.

Thanks!

Id help cause i use the site all the time {SMILIES_PATH}/icon_e_biggrin.gif

I can edit all the pages with errors as i have far too much free time, and i can do some coding if needs be not too advanced tho and whatever else is needed cause i always check the site regulaly for news anyway :P

• 3 weeks later...

Main issue we're facing here people is the debate of what style to use.

php, flash, html, what.

We want to be able to have the same type of site we had with 3.0 except much, much better, and it's very conflicting with the staff on what to use to accomplish this and how we're going to do it. Once we can get a solid layout built, adding the info will come very very quickly. Hard to decide on what we're going to use.

Organizational things are being taken care of now. I'd like to get up off our asses and get this thing rolling before November so we can break something out around New Years.

• 4 weeks later...

Main issue we're facing here people is the debate of what style to use.

php, flash, html, what.

We want to be able to have the same type of site we had with 3.0 except much, much better, and it's very conflicting with the staff on what to use to accomplish this and how we're going to do it. Once we can get a solid layout built, adding the info will come very very quickly. Hard to decide on what we're going to use.

Organizational things are being taken care of now. I'd like to get up off our asses and get this thing rolling before November so we can break something out around New Years.

what is the format now? its php isnt it....like on the main pages?

Sorry for no updates recently. I'll be using this thread more frequently.

As far as the questions earlier on in this thread go, we've figured out what we're doing. The first stage in this huge process is the Admin Control Panel (ACP) is being created from scratch by graveguard. This is what we were using for LPLive 3.0, which enables staff to log in through a link on the site, navigate to a certain page, and update it like that. It essentially eliminates the FTP process of updating pages (very very helpful). Honestly, we thought it'd be done a little while ago, but we set no deadline and he had other things to do also, so it's no problem that it won't be done until this week. Once that is finished, Legend will be working with me on creating several page templates for the actual design. Once we get a few of those knocked out, [AndOne], several other staff members (SouthernG, nkramar, etc) and I will start tweaking it to exactly how we want it, and we'll be working with Legend during that stage as well to get the exact things done that we need to have on the pages.

After we do that, we'll begin adding all of the new features step-by-step to the site. Once we finalize the show page design, I will hand the work over to SergSlim and LESTAT so that they may mass-create all the pages. Simultaneously, the rest of the staff and I will work on all of the new things that are coming in 4.0 (lots of stuff already....the thread of ideas we have is huge). And then once we finish that, we'll review the entire site that we've just built up and make appropriate final touches. Of course, the next thing after that is to set a launch date for you guys.

We are a little later than I expected in getting started, but I honestly don't see that as a problem. Dead By Sunrise is expected in the spring, so I think we have plenty of time. Instead of December/Christmas for a release, probably late January or so is how it is looking now. Possibly February.

However, I will be making constant updates in this thread to let you guys see and know exactly what is going on. I won't set many deadlines because I know from experience that whenever you set one, you get jinxed and always end up missing it. Anyway, more updates soon. We should begin a lot of actual work this week (aka within the next few days).

Thanks!

I apologize for the long delay... I started coding on the control panel 3 weeks ago... The main structures are done and it looks good. The first version should have been done 2 weeks ago. But I wasn't able to get everything done. It's not even finished until today. I hope I can do it within the next few days. I'm totaly sorry for this delay!

Hi Hahninator, i hope that the new version is going pretty well

i have a request for you

the 4.0 must have a wallpaper section, and we the users can make it

i have some good stuff to show ya'll =)

Great idea! I will see what we can do about that. I think that is possible :)

And so far, no we do not have translated versions planned. Why? We are doing daily updates to the site constantly, and to translate that correctly (as well as translate everything we already have) to multiple languages is a hell of a task. If others want to do a native live guide in their language, they are welcome, but it is a big task and I have only seen one that has been successful out of MANY attempts (LPInsideBR). For this reason we'll just remain English-only.

what is the format now? its php isnt it....like on the main pages?

Main site pages are fully done in HTML. .php extension was made only for Cutenews to work in the beginning of LPLive.net 2.0. And it was necessary only for main page to have .php extension.

Maybe next version's show pages will have some pictures from show? I mean, not link to gallery, but only two-three good pictures in show page's right side.

Yup! I was planning to have 3-5 pics from each show page as well as the DSP pics!

The show page as you know it will be 100% revamped with at least 4-5 times the amount of information that is currently there. You will be surprised, for sure.