Canadian Press Day

hahninator

Mike and Chester are in Toronto, ON today for One More Light press. Heavy was performed at The Edge (video soon). We will keep you updated throughout the day with interviews and more.

- Ten minute interview with iHeartRadio Canada, which can be viewed here.

EDIT: Looks like Heavy was performed here as well.

- Chester and Mike both have unruly kids, so at least one song is about telling their kids that there are reasons for rules and that they aren't trying to fight with their kids just to argue with them.
- It's easier for Mike to make music first rather than to work on lyrics first. This was a challenging process for One More Light because lyrics are "elusive"..."that's a cool idea, but it isn't great." Lyrical ideas first were a struggle.
- Mike wrote a song with Ross Golan. The initial lyric idea in the chorus before it changed was "I wish I was Christopher Walken" and the song ended up being "One More Light."

- Chester initially wanted to have a lot of followers on Instagram without ever posting a photo, but Mark Fiore started posting pictures on it during a tour which ruined Chester's plan.

- Fourteen minute interview with MUCH, watch here.

- The band puts a lot of effort into each record, but Mike says there aren't that many artists that will work on an album from 12-18 months. It took that long to just get the 10 songs that made the album, but over 100 demos were made.

- There is a lot of anticipation by the band in what they release, referencing Heavy and Battle Symphony's releases to the world/fans.
- From Chester's experience, a lot of artists make just 12-20 demos and then narrow it down from there. If Linkin Park feels good about it, they'll keep writing as long as they're inspired and then they'll begin the process to narrow down the songs.
- Around 50 songs in this process got lyrics and melodies and Chester said he could pick 10 of any of those 50 and be happy with the songs. But when the rest of the band looks at the songs, it becomes pretty obvious as a group which songs are the strongest once they vote on them.

- The full band is very involved in the selection of the songs, for example Joe saying he doesn't like Rob's drums on a demo. With six members, it's hard to get all six members to like every part of every song. Mike makes large documents in his computer of all of the notes/comments by band members on each song.

- Asked how the band's "journey" is represented in the new music, Chester said it was much harder to write songs in the beginning (Hybrid Theory). In most cases, the music would dictate the lyrics (punk song having aggressive lyrics, loud songs having screaming, etc). In this case for One More Light, they could enter the room with nothing and a few hours later come out with a full song. Sometimes just right in the middle of conversations about how they are dealing with (sometimes sad) things in life, Mike would start playing piano and ideas for verse, chorus, and bridge melodies and words would flow freely. They were able to record vocal ideas and lyrics the exact day the song was made, so it made the songs more emotional since Chester already knew the lyrics and meaning before he even came into the studio to lay down a track by reading it off a piece of paper. This is a much different process than before, where they'd come up with vocal and lyric ideas right in the middle of recording vocals. Starting the process this way made the songs have more meaning to the members in the band.

- Sixteen minute interview with 102.1 the Edge, check that out here.

Show page for Heavy (Performance video coming soon)

- The band is always trying to find new ways to play music and experiment with new instruments and songwriting means.

- Linkin Park is evolving as a band, but not specifically with "genre". Heavy is on a lot of alternative, pop, and chill playlists and the band makes fun of "Chill" not being a real genre.

- Starting off, Mike made music because it was fun. When he was a teenager, he'd skip parties and movies to make music for fun instead of to like, get girls, be famous, etc.

- Every artist has different reasons for making songs, like to approach it as "let's write this song because it's what's hot right now" or "it's a good song to get a sports endorsement." Linkin Park doesn't write songs for those reasons.

- One More Light (song) is about "who cares if "one more light" goes out, one more person dies? I care." Once the band releases the songs, the fans then take the songs and it means things to them that it doesn't necessarily mean to the band...it's part of the process to connect with the music.

- The band is putting together its North American Tour right now with dates and bands.

- Linkin Park leaves on Wednesday for European promo for two weeks.

- There is a fourth interview with Entertainment City and a fifth interview with KiSS 92.5, if anyone finds them let us know!

"The full band is very involved in the selection of the songs, for example Joe saying he doesn't like Rob's drums on a demo. With six members, it's hard to get all six members to like every part of every song. Mike makes large documents in his computer of all of the notes/comments by band members on each song."

I hope all the assholes who bitch about "Mike owning the band and everyone else silently accepting what he wants" read this.

"The full band is very involved in the selection of the songs, for example Joe saying he doesn't like Rob's drums on a demo. With six members, it's hard to get all six members to like every part of every song. Mike makes large documents in his computer of all of the notes/comments by band members on each song."

I hope all the assholes who bitch about "Mike owning the band and everyone else silently accepting what he wants" read this.

According to them, this is what Mike makes them say, or else. Lmao

Any idea where they will be (performing)?

I live in Amsterdam, so I need to see them for sure. Can't find anything on the Internet though.

I think the best chance is 'RTL Late Night', which is recorded in Amsterdam.

This is just my guess, but since all the other big media stations are located in Hilversum, this is the one I came up with. Would be cool though, its a popular show.

Edited by JJJ

Any idea where they will be (performing)?

I live in Amsterdam, so I need to see them for sure. Can't find anything on the Internet though.

No idea at all. I can't find anything either

This is just my guess, but since all the other big media stations are located in Hilversum, this is the one I came up with. Would be cool though, its a popular show.

I can't find the upcoming schedule with guests, assuming they publish that.

I doubt they'll go to Hilversum, cause then they wouldn't have announced Amsterdam as their 'next stop'

No idea at all. I can't find anything either

I can't find the upcoming schedule with guests, assuming they publish that.

I doubt they'll go to Hilversum, cause then they wouldn't have announced Amsterdam as their 'next stop'

3fm won't play their music haha. And IF they play Linkin Park it's either Numb(Encore), What I've done, In The End.

This morning this dj was saying he wasn't liking Battle Symphony and wouldn't play it again.

3fm won't play their music haha. And IF they play Linkin Park it's either Numb(Encore), What I've done, In The End.

This morning this dj was saying he wasn't liking Battle Symphony and wouldn't play it again.

Damn. I also noticed that the new songs don't get played on the Dutch radio. It's always those old classics which pisses me off.

Damn. I also noticed that the new songs don't get played on the Dutch radio. It's always those old classics which pisses me off.

It has been this way since A Thousand Suns. They played Guilty All The Same twice, and final masquerade several times, but this was because they were giving away tickets for The Hunting Party tour in Amsterdam.

When Heavy came out i really thought it would be all over the dutch radio stations, but nope. Same goes for Battle Symphony.

I already thought about RTL Late Night as well. Hope we will get more info soon.

Oh and yeah, I saw that the main event will be at 3 PM. Really curious what that will be. Hope to get an invitation!