Gekirock’s Interview with Chester & Rob

Skipees

Chester and Rob interviewed by the Japanese magazine Geki-Rock, Read the full interview here, or the interesting quotes below:

Chester:

"There was this song that Mike was working on before, I liked it, because I knew that we could turn it into something cool. But Mike , he decided midway through the project that he hated it, and started on a new song. This eventually became 'Guilty All the Same,' but when he first let me listen to the opening riff I shouted out, 'Yes! It's great. This is the only way to go! The entire album should go in this direction.' I was really excited. 'Let me start screaming right now,' I told him (laughter). Do you understand? There was this feeling we hadn't felt for a while, this hard and heavy sound that had been lost. Keeping a song original while maintaining its coolness is difficult, but it was awesome finding that direction. Once you have that, the path ahead becomes pretty clear."

"Each song has a story to it. For example, ‘Guilty all the Same’ represents what we’ve been making, and the expectations of our fans. With ‘Rebellion,’ we wanted to create a new kind of sound. Not in the sense that we get a new producer or anything, but with a musician we respect. We thought along the lines of Daron (from System of a Down), Rakim or Page Hamilton. We had the idea, and then Rakim really came (laughing). Everyone was really happy, because Rakim’s rap was everything we’d been looking for, it spoke what we wanted to say. It might be a rude way to put this, but that song wouldn’t have been much without Rakim. It’s a fucking epic song. As for Daron, we let him listen to the song and he liked it. He didn’t want to add guitar or anything though, because everything was already there. The song was perfect, and all that we’d hoped to create. ‘All For Nothing’ also has an interesting story. We liked it from the very beginning, the melody was cool but Mike was having trouble singing it. It was rare for him to struggle like that. I asked him, “doesn’t your voice sound like Helmet?” and he responded, “I thought so too, but is that a good thing?” Of course I told him it was great, I love Helmet. We hadn’t done it intentionally but it sounded very similar and that was cool, so we discussed whether to have Page (guitarist from Helmet) come in and work with us. Next thing I know, Page was in the studio!"

Rob:

"This is why I train around 4~5 hours a day in my home studio. I practice until my arms are numb, and then take the next day off, the way I always have. I have to be able to keep going from the beginning to the very end. The drum sounds are recorded in one take, because there's nothing you can edit in or out. That's why I have to be able to keep drumming for longer. Since it's been a while since I've played anything this intense, I'm enjoying it. As I understood the aim of the album and got involved in its making, I realized I was changing as well. I became more aggressive, stating my opinions and pouring in my own energy. It really feels like this album projects what we want to be. I'm happy with the energy, and pushing my own limits. I can't wait for everyone to hear it too."

Translated by the Karin from Blackout Show Online.

Very interesting interview, glad there will be much screaming, I knew Oli from BMTH is a LP fan, but I didn't know he is that big LP fan, that he could barely speak

"As for Daron, we let him listen to the song and he liked it. He didn’t want to add guitar or anything though, because everything was already there. The song was perfect, and all that we’d hoped to create."

Does that mean Daron did nothing at all?

"As for Daron, we let him listen to the song and he liked it. He didn’t want to add guitar or anything though, because everything was already there. The song was perfect, and all that we’d hoped to create."

But in the end he added something, it's confirmed that he plays guitar and bass on that song.

The band should tour with Bring Me The Horizon. If the album is as heavy as they are saying, this would be a better match than 30 seconds to mars

I was shocked that they picked 30STM & AFI for the support acts. I like both of those bands, but they didn't come to mind when thinking about bands LP might tour with for their heavy and carnivorous new album and tour, etc.It would have been cool since Oli loves Chester and LP.

Edited by Geki

Daron on bass? Sounds strange

If I recall correctly (and there's a decent chance that I don't), during the recording of Mezmerize/Hypnotize, Daron was really unhappy with Shavo's (bassist of System of a Down) bass parts, so he just re-recorded them himself. I'll try to find something more substantial than this, but it could be a bass part.

I like both bands, it's just they aren't really the kind of music that LP have been talking about or making.

I could see AFI fitting the description, especially compared to 30STM, who do not belong on this tour at all. There are way better bands, talent-wise and in regards to the mentality of this cycle.

Edited by CASTLE OF SASS

I definitely think some things where lost in translation here. I think maybe they asked him to play on Guilty All The Same initially, but he wouldn't touch it. And now he's on Rebellion.

Yes, I think you're right. They were talking about GATS.

I think this was Daron's reaction when they showed him Guilty All The Same. In a previous interview I think Chester or Mike stated that when Daron first came into the studio, they showed him some of the songs they were working on and he thought they were good as-is so they ended up coming up with a new song with him or something along those lines and that became Rebellion.

If I recall correctly (and there's a decent chance that I don't), during the recording of Mezmerize/Hypnotize, Daron was really unhappy with Shavo's (bassist of System of a Down) bass parts, so he just re-recorded them himself. I'll try to find something more substantial than this, but it could be a bass part.

That is correct. Daron played about 90 percent of the bass guitar on Mez/Hyp. Shavo spent that time taking bass guitar lessons.

The band should tour with Bring Me The Horizon. If the album is as heavy as they are saying, this would be a better match than 30 seconds to mars

I was shocked that they picked 30STM & AFI for the support acts. I like both of those bands, but they didn't come to mind when thinking about bands LP might tour with for their heavy and carnivorous new album and tour, etc.It would have been cool since Oli loves Chester and LP.

Those 3 bands suck huevos.

Daron was really unhappy with Shavo's (bassist of System of a Down) bass parts, so he just re-recorded them himself.

If you recall correctly, and...

it's confirmed that he plays guitar and bass on that song.

Does that mean Daron was unhappy with Pheonix bass playing?

"As for Daron, we let him listen to the song and he liked it. He didnt want to add guitar or anything though, because everything was already there. The song was perfect, and all that wed hoped to create."

Does that mean Daron was unhappy with Pheonix bass playing?

This will clear both of the things:

So we played him a whole bunch of songs and the stuff that we played him he was like, "Dude, I'll do whatever you guys want on these songs [but] I don't know if I can add anything to this stuff!" So that was cool. "Awesome, great, thank-you! So do you have something?" And he busted out 'Rebellion', and had the riff and had a chorus. And it was like, "So yeah - let's just do that!" And we did it. And we recorded the track in a couple of days, we had worked out the parts, and Daron played the guitars and the bass, and left really the arrangements and the lyrics and stuff up to me and Mike. We wrote this f**king killer song. And it's one of my favourite songs on the record.

Source

Rebellion was Daron idea anyway, so he just recorded different parts of the song. Nothing related to what Daron thinks about Brad or Phoenix.