Meteora Tour 2004 Revisited

hahninator

Today on this date ten years ago, Linkin Park kicked off their biggest headlining tour of North America in the band's history. Playing at the Patriot Center in Fairfax, VA, the North American Tour for Meteora took the band, with P.O.D., Hoobastank, and Story Of The Year as openers, to thirty seven different cities in two months.

Posted Image

Many of the shows on the tour sold out, such as the Uniondale, NY show, which sold out in just one day. Lots of shows on the tour had the same success. The hectic world tour for Meteora, released in March 2003, can be attributed to wearing the band out and making them want to take a break, which is what happened the following year in 2005. With thirty seven shows on this headlining tour, nine shows in Europe and Asia, the Collision Course Roxy show, another thirty two on Projekt Revolution and one in Brazil, the band played a total of eighty shows in 2004 alone.

There were many highlights on this tour, such as the band bringing up fans at most shows to play 'Faint' on guitar. 'Breaking The Habit' was played on its first-ever USA tour and the intro was played by Mike on a grand piano along with 'Numb' and 'My December'. With a nineteen song setlist, Linkin Park changed things up a little and tossed 'Nobody's Listening' (with Brad and Phoenix switching instruments) and 'It's Goin' Down' (with Chester playing guitar) into the setlist along with one of their best-ever encores of 'My December', 'P5hng Me A*wy', 'A Place For My Head' and 'One Step Closer.

Posted Image

Chester fell ill mid-tour, forcing the band to cut their Long Beach, CA set a bit short and moved their hometown Inglewood, LA show to the end of the tour, resulting in a huge show to end the tour at home that celebrated both Chester and Joe's birthdays.

While Projekt Revolution 2007 came close with twenty nine shows, no tour since this North American headline tour in 2004 has featured this many shows by the band. Over the course of the next two months, we will be bringing you some of the best recordings of the tour right here on LPLive, so be sure to check back!

I was pretttttty close to seeing the Atlanta show on this tour. Missed out on My December, It's Goin' Down, Nobody's Listening, and P5hng Me A*wy (fuck. fuck. fuck.).

Atlanta 2004 was a great show.

Edited by Geki

and we have a considerable amount of unreleased sources:

From "The Uncirculated Thread"

I was at the Fairfax show. Great show with lots of energy from all the acts. My how things have changed in the 10 years that have passed. P.O.D. and Hoobastank were at the height of their popularity and Story of the Year was a fresh face on the scene.

I know right. Don't follow POD or Hoobastank so not really sure how they are going at the moment. But for LP to be still going strong 10 years on is pretty amazing IMO.

'Breaking The Habit' was played on its first-ever USA tour and was played by Mike on a grand piano along with 'Numb' and 'My December'.

Mike's "grand piano" for all 2004 performances was actually his regular Korg electric keyboard built into the frame of a Baldwin piano. All of Mike's keyboard parts on BTH after the intro are strings, so that obviously wasn't a real piano lol.

'It's Goin' Down' (with Chester playing guitar for the first time)

Chester played guitar on It's Goin' Down in 2002.

I actually was ready to go to Live 8 but last minute I couldn't go. I know it's not the same as the Meteora Tour, but I can somewhat feel your pain. Lol. Also in 2005, I had no idea I'd have to wait until mid 2007 for the band to tour again.

i was at the philly show this tour and live 8. haha.

Didn't he play guitar on Morning After in 2001?

Yes, as well as Jane Says. I think Mark was just under the impression that 2002 performances of IGD didn't feature Chester on guitar though, which isn't true. The performance from the Uniondale 2002 show sounds like it only has one guitar part, but all of the other recordings from that tour definitely have both guitars. They might have done it without him at the first few performances, but it was only for 4 shows at most.

I'd say even in 2004 at lot of people didn't know that Chester can play guitar.

People still don't know he can play guitar. You can watch just about any Iridescent/Shadow of the Day video on Youtube, and find a "OMG Chaz playin da geetar" comment within the first handful of replies.