The Aquarian interview with Chester

LESTAT

Check out the latest interview with Chester here: Page 1 | Page 2

Excerpts:

What was the song selection process like? For instance, ‘Morning After,’ which is also a great song isn’t not on the record?

That was done, because I already released ‘Morning After’ on the Underworld soundtrack. I felt that if I put that on the record, it would kind of be cheating. So we basically took some songs that didn’t quite make the cut, and we’re reissuing, because the version that is on Underworld II is kind of a remix, it has some guitars taken out, and a more danceable beat to kind of fit the mode of the soundtrack a little more. This is more of a direct, straight rock version, and I believe that is actually going to be on the record if you get it as an import from Japan or some parts of Europe. So if people want that on the Dead By Sunrise record, [there’s] that, and we did a cover of the Misfits’ ‘20 Eyes’ like as extras.

Why that song in particular?

Well, I actually started playing that song when I was in a cover band called Bucket of Weenies for a little while. I play it with Bucket of Weenies and Camp Freddy sometimes, it’s just fun to go play with a bunch of guys and play cover songs. So we started playing ‘20 Eyes,’ we recorded it and we really liked it. There’s nothing we’ll ever be able to do with it, so we thought that this was kind of good way of letting people have it.

Getting to the actual songs on the record, ‘Fire’ sounds like an open letter to someone who has passed.

That song took a few different lyrical changes. It started out one way that was really like a sad story using interesting metaphors and that’s where the name ‘Fire’ came from. The lyric that inspired the title was, ‘There’s a fire in our hearts that’s the reason why the tears keep falling, to put out the fires that our hearts are starting.’ That’s where it came from, [but] the melodies didn’t quite seem to fit. So I started over, and kind of just ran with that, and went with a more spiritual path of getting through the tougher times.

I play it with Bucket of Weenies and Camp Freddy sometimes

What the hell? Are there any Chester's Camp Freddy appearances that we don't know about or Chester totally confused something?

so wtf if they did 20 eyes where the fuck are we supposed to get it? ugh

Chester obviously don't even know what the fuck is going on with Morning After :lol:

Pretty cool interview...especially the part about Fire and stuff. Thanks for sharing. I hope we get 20 Eyes (Studio) someday or even a high quality live version. Chester always talks about 20 Eyes in tons of interviews yet there is no way for the fans to get it...lol.

EDIT: I just read the whole thing. I like this interview a lot. Ulalume!!!

Edited by Geki

Chester seems to have no fucking idea what is going on with his CD release.

"So we started playing ‘20 Eyes,’ we recorded it and we really liked it. There’s nothing we’ll ever be able to do with it, so we thought that this was kind of good way of letting people have it."

Where/when/why/how?

Chester seems to have no fucking idea what is going on with his CD release.

"So we started playing ‘20 Eyes,’ we recorded it and we really liked it. There’s nothing we’ll ever be able to do with it, so we thought that this was kind of good way of letting people have it."

Where/when/why/how?

Maybe he is planning on releasing it on twitter? Or maybe on a single... Idk.

hm...according to what chesters says, grey daze must have played a lot more shows than we know of...and to me it sounds like he means that >1000 people were coming to those gigs just for grey daze at the end...

i'm a bit confused

(and i find the interview he did for laut.de funnier - too bad that that page only gives the german translation)

I just love how this album release is such a disjointed mess that the members of the band don't even have a fucking clue what's on the various editions.

-Bonus tracks that according to the band, we're supposed to get with the album, which we aren't

-No lyrics in the booklet

-An official band website listed on official merchandise...which doesn't even exist

-A live session recorded on BBC Radio 1 almost a week ago with absolutely no information on when/if it will air

It speaks volumes about how the promotion for this release has been handled, that the most reliable source of Dead By Sunrise-related information is their guitarist's fucking Twitter page.

Until DBS's management gets their shit together, I'm not buying this album. I held out until release date, hoping they'd straighten this mess out, and they've made no discernable effort to do so.

Wow, I pretty much loved that interview as well even though he might have gotten confused about some stuff *lol* The introduction is also written very well. I agree that this might be Chester's most honest project and I love how the whole band works so well together.

What struck me was this quote:

Maybe next year after the band has been around for awhile we could do that, but I really want to go play for people. Have their faces really close and loud and sweaty and right in people’s faces, and have them see the band in that way at first.

This means they are probably still gonna tour next year?? AWESOME!!! :D

Edited by immortalsoul

Wow, I pretty much loved that interview as well even though he might have gotten confused about some stuff *lol* The introduction is also written very well. I agree that this might be Chester's most honest project and I love how the whole band works so well together.

What struck me was this quote:

This means they are probably still gonna tour next year?? AWESOME!!! :D

I doubt that. Maybe after the next lp album, but lp's album needs finishing and then they will be touring the rest of the year.