Post Traumatic Album Release Day

RogueSoul

I'm glad that the EP and album has helped so many fans. I think Mike would be ecstatic to hear that, but I'm sure he already knows it. Creating the music helped him and in turn he hoped it would help fans.

I'm gonna be honest, I've struggled with mental health issues over the course of my life. Obviously, I still am, it doesn't just go away. You have to manage it. Some days are harder than others. And I personally can understand some of the stuff that Chester said he was going through. So sometimes its weird for me to hear Talinda and Mike saying how much they've learned about mental health since Chesters passing, because Ive dealt with it for a long time. Idk what I'm trying to say. But some of the songs on this album have really helped me. Id say that Linkin Park songs and a lot of lyrics from Chester have related to me more, but the lyrics on Post Traumatic are very good. Its funny because I can think back to certain times or certain years of my adult life where things were really bad, or maybe not so bad, some good, etc. 2017 was actually a really bad year for me mentally. I was going through it really hard that year. And then Chester died and it really was almost close to a final blow for me. But somehow I made it through and 2018 hasnt been too bad. Its almost like I told myself that I want to live for Chester at least and for myself. Because he was always my hero and helped me through so much of my own struggles in ways he would never have known, like a lot of people. The beginning of 2018 was still hard for me. It actually wasn't as bad as 2017 in total for me, even before Chester passed. 2017 will probably go down as one of the worst years for me. Mikes music has definitely helped me this year in particular since he came out with this album this year.

Edited by Geki

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its almost like I told myself that I want to live for Chester at least and for myself.

Yes man, and don't give up. Life can throw crazy curveballs at you both positive and negative ones. There could always be a really good one around the corner just coming at you trying to brighten your life and help you overcome or at least help you with your struggles. Life can be so awesome and we have to do our part to make all these tragic deaths count and just keep on going.

@Mark

Really nice read. Glad you are one of us "Lift Off" fans, too ;). I love Mike's verse on it because of the same thing you pointed out. Gave the 15 year old in me a nice rush :).

Also I want to clarify that I wouldn't cut "World's On Fire" because of its lyrical content. Also, I.O.U. feels weirdly placed in the progression of things. It's already gotten a bit less exciting, even though Mike's performance is really cool!

@Mark

Really nice read. Glad you are one of us "Lift Off" fans, too ;). I love Mike's verse on it because of the same thing you pointed out. Gave the 15 year old in me a nice rush :).

Also I want to clarify that I wouldn't cut "World's On Fire" because of its lyrical content. Also, I.O.U. feels weirdly placed in the progression of things. It's already gotten a bit less exciting, even though Mike's performance is really cool!

Lift Off has like a vibe of... Freestyle, Carousel, a slightly more aggressive Dedicated, Part Of Me, etc all mashed into one. Or Reading My Eyes. All of these songs have really great, old school Mike Shinoda rapping. It's a distinct vibe that he gives off in those tracks that is absent in a lot of the mainstream LP stuff (BID bridge is cringeworthy and ALTNC verses are too). Returning to this style just on one song is very welcoming. Fiends by Xero maybe too.

The flow and his word pronunciation and swagger remind me EXACTLY of hi verses Unreleased w/ The Visionaries. It's interesting he even reuses the Space Shuttle Challengers line SOMEWHAT from Dedicated.

Those early Mike songs really kick ass, I fell in love with Mike's rapping on those early tracks ESPECIALLY High Voltage (Live in London 2001) on LPU 2. Maybe one of his best rap performances of all time, to me. I'd love to see more stuff like this.

Damn, that High Voltage is really incredible....

The problem is that none of those songs are on main albums, only super hardcore fans will know what you mean. I agree that Lift Off is a really good song.

Edited by Geki

Damn, Mark, you hit the nail on its head. "Dedicated" is one of my favorite songs from Linkin Park and I haven't listened to it in quite a long time (changed that yesterday :)). I know it's silly but especially with the lyrics it would fit in perfectly in a MS live set.

I'm not as critical of Mike's later work with Linkin Park. For example I'm a big fan of Mike on "Until It Breaks". His flow is just so enjoyable and the lyrics are great, too.

But I agree that he never REALLY achieved his fullest potential like he did on the songs you mentioned and also that "Lift Off" is a fine throwback to his "old days". One big difference for me is his confidence, though. On "Lift Off" he feels a lot more confident in his delivery and tone while on the Visionaries track (for example) it feels a bit rushed (I mean, there are like what, 16 years in between? :D).

Still, I always enjoy the shared passion for oldschool LP stuff because both Mike and Chester had outstanding and raw performances back in the day which I love to revisite from time to time :).

Oh, and of course, I totally agree with you on "High Voltage". The live version is incredible! I recommend the version from the Cleveland show the same year (the one in this weird Mall(?)). The way the camera is zoomed in on Chester during the bridge while he is all in for his part always gets me. Plus, there is a really cool tracking shot where it shows the stage, Chester in the middle and Mike in the background just... totally in it as well :). Also the fans are so rowdy during their set which is pure joy. Seeing as I was one of the lucky ones who actually had the chance to celebrate LP live in rowdy crowds and pits...

Anyway, for everyone else wondering:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dgsu7FHepA

• 3 months later...

If you cut the 4 tracks that were supposed to be Linkin park and Fort minor songs (place to start and make it up as i go were linkinPark and IOU and Lift Off were Fort Minor), you have a nice 12 song album that flows good to me. kind of cool actually

• 8 months later...