What Year Will LP End?

What Year  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Years

• 2012 (Apocalypse and shit)
    • 1996 - FOREVER

This is kind of a pointless topic. As a band, they are more emotionally balanced and understanding than others. They all know how to work out issues respectively without getting at each other's throats. Their creative drive allows them not to dry out or begin to sound bland.

So I think the only thing that would stop them would be health issues. More specifically Chester. I don't know how long he would be able to last. Most singers cannot hit those high notes at an older age, so I don't see songs like Given Up, Crawling, or New Divide being played in the late future. But I suppose only time will tell.

I don't see them stopping for a long-ass time. They're already at fifteen years (fourteen(?) with Chester), and album sales have yet to slow down to a detrimental level. As long as they're pumping out number 1 albums (if only for a week at a time) then they'll keep going. Plus, I've seen very few bands that have as few internal problems (if any) as Linkin Park. They're not like Metallica or blink-182, they're all cool with eachother as far as we can tell.

I don't see them stopping for a long-ass time. They're already at fifteen years (fourteen(?) with Chester), and album sales have yet to slow down to a detrimental level. As long as they're pumping out number 1 albums (if only for a week at a time) then they'll keep going. Plus, I've seen very few bands that have as few internal problems (if any) as Linkin Park. They're not like Metallica or blink-182, they're all cool with eachother as far as we can tell.

15 years with Chester? Linkin Park never had a different lead singer. That was Xero, which came before Hybrid Theory AND Linkin Park. I never understood the obsession with Mark Wakefield, to be honest. The only stuff we have recorded of his vocals are the 4 tracks on the Xero tape, and Chester is clearly better, Mike and Brad both said they thought Chester was the best vocalist that tried out in 1998, and they have also said that they think he is one of the best singers in the world. If Shinoda says that he thinks Chester is one of the best singers of all time, that is more than good enough for me. But yeah, Mark's vocals on the Xero demo kind of really sucked. Mike definitely excelled, while Mark did not. Sorry to sound like an obsessed Chazzy fan, but sometimes it gets on my nerves, like Mark comes before Chester or something when Linkin Park never had a singer named Mark Wakefield, Xero did. Compare RME from the Xero tape and a live performance with Chester from 2006 or 2008 and tell me what one you think is better, and do it seriously, don't automatically say the Xero version just because I'm challenging you.

Anyways, I honestly think LP will be along for a long while. They have been making music together as a whole (all 6 members) since 1998, and have released only 5 studio albums (not counting misc. releases Reanimation, Live In Texas, Collision Course, Road To Revolution, Live From Madrid, etc). I can see LP maybe making possibly around 12 studio albums before they call it quits. Obviously the band will not last forever, no band does, but I think when they do break up they will continue to play live shows and do some reunion tours, stuff like that. It's going to be a sad day for me when LP does split up, but I will remember LP until the day I die. I have their name inked on my skin for the rest of my life, and I grew up listening to Linkin Park, they saved my life. I could never repay them for that.

The topic itself is a fairly interesting point of discussion, but making a poll is just stupid. Who the hell is going to able to pin it down to a specific year?

I think (and certainly hope) that the band will be around for another 15 years at least. I want to be at LP shows lecturing new, young fans about how it was "back in the day". :lol:

15 years with Chester? Linkin Park never had a different lead singer. That was Xero, which came before Hybrid Theory AND Linkin Park. I never understood the obsession with Mark Wakefield, to be honest. The only stuff we have recorded of his vocals are the 4 tracks on the Xero tape, and Chester is clearly better, Mike and Brad both said they thought Chester was the best vocalist that tried out in 1998, and they have also said that they think he is one of the best singers in the world. If Shinoda says that he thinks Chester is one of the best singers of all time, that is more than good enough for me. But yeah, Mark's vocals on the Xero demo kind of really sucked. Mike definitely excelled, while Mark did not. Sorry to sound like an obsessed Chazzy fan, but sometimes it gets on my nerves, like Mark comes before Chester or something when Linkin Park never had a singer named Mark Wakefield, Xero did. Compare RME from the Xero tape and a live performance with Chester from 2006 or 2008 and tell me what one you think is better, and do it seriously, don't automatically say the Xero version just because I'm challenging you.

I...I made an offhand comment about how long the band has been around and you wrote an entire paragraph about it? Xero, Hybrid Theory, and Linkin Park are all the same band, end of story. There was never a stopping point in the band where they drew the line and said "This is Xero, and this is Linkin Park." The history is a shared history because they're the same band that had different singers at different points in time. I mentioned Mark's existence because it's a fact that Mark Wakefield was the first singer for Linkin Park, back when they were called Xero. I never said a thing about preferring him - honestly, I can see why every single label they sent the tape to said "fuck off", because those four songs sounded like shit. And it wasn't just Mark's vocals, either - all four songs have the exact same structure and sound exactly the same, with none of the variation that even the HTEP had. It wasn't just Mark that was pulling the band down - the entire group was shit back in '97.

Reading My Eyes obviously sounds better with Chester because Chester is an entirely different singer and is on a level above Mark. He was prepared to be famous and had the voice to get there, Mark had neither.

Unless of course someone from the band has gone on record saying "Xero is not Linkin park, Xero is the precursor to Linkin Park, they are different bands" - then I'll step back. But until then, I'm sticking to what I said before.

Oops derailed the topic. LP will end when the sales dry up, that's pretty much the size of it.

I...I made an offhand comment about how long the band has been around and you wrote an entire paragraph about it? Xero, Hybrid Theory, and Linkin Park are all the same band, end of story. There was never a stopping point in the band where they drew the line and said "This is Xero, and this is Linkin Park." The history is a shared history because they're the same band that had different singers at different points in time. I mentioned Mark's existence because it's a fact that Mark Wakefield was the first singer for Linkin Park, back when they were called Xero. I never said a thing about preferring him - honestly, I can see why every single label they sent the tape to said "fuck off", because those four songs sounded like shit. And it wasn't just Mark's vocals, either - all four songs have the exact same structure and sound exactly the same, with none of the variation that even the HTEP had. It wasn't just Mark that was pulling the band down - the entire group was shit back in '97.

Reading My Eyes obviously sounds better with Chester because Chester is an entirely different singer and is on a level above Mark. He was prepared to be famous and had the voice to get there, Mark had neither.

Unless of course someone from the band has gone on record saying "Xero is not Linkin park, Xero is the precursor to Linkin Park, they are different bands" - then I'll step back. But until then, I'm sticking to what I said before.

Oops derailed the topic. LP will end when the sales dry up, that's pretty much the size of it.

Come at me, bro.

This is kind of a pointless topic. As a band, they are more emotionally balanced and understanding than others. They all know how to work out issues respectively without getting at each other's throats. Their creative drive allows them not to dry out or begin to sound bland.

So I think the only thing that would stop them would be health issues. More specifically Chester. I don't know how long he would be able to last. Most singers cannot hit those high notes at an older age, so I don't see songs like Given Up, Crawling, or New Divide being played in the late future. But I suppose only time will tell.

Well, as we were talking about on LPA, LP's contract with Warner only has 2 more albums left on contract. so after 2 albums (i heard the mall soundtrack might count as one), then LP is done with Warner unless they sign another contract, and who knows how long they will release albums independently.

also I voted 2023 and I have no idea why

EDIT: also I don't think they will hit more than 10 studio albums. Most bands that have the "Classic status" barely make it over 10. most stop under 12. I think they will release 10 albums (maybe less) and then retire.

Edited by Bliss

Do you think once LP's contract with Warner is up they will stop making music together? Or do you think they will continue to release music on their own label? Will they sign another contract with Warner and make more albums?

Well, as we were talking about on LPA, LP's contract with Warner only has 2 more albums left on contract. so after 2 albums (i heard the mall soundtrack might count as one), then LP is done with Warner unless they sign another contract, and who knows how long they will release albums independently.

How do you know that they are signed for 2 more albums?

Do you think once LP's contract with Warner is up they will stop making music together? Or do you think they will continue to release music on their own label? Will they sign another contract with Warner and make more albums?

I can see them doing stuff via Machine Shop.

I assume that's not part of warner, someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the band's own little label...?

I can see them doing stuff via Machine Shop.

I assume that's not part of warner, someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the band's own little label...?

Machine Shop is a vanity label tied to Warner, so unless they negotiate a deal that splits Machine Shop off from Warner, then no, they can't do anything with Machine Shop once they're off-contract.

I dunno if us diehards could keep LP floating if they tried the whole independent deal...you need to be a gigantic band with legendary status to pull that off. I don't think I need to cite the usual examples.

Then again, Amanda Palmer isn't a huge name and she's doing...well enough independently. Her fanbase is scary loyal though, so...

LP will end when the sales dry up, that's pretty much the size of it.

I dunno if us diehards could keep LP floating if they tried the whole independent deal...you need to be a gigantic band with legendary status to pull that off. I don't think I need to cite the usual examples.

Their album sales are dropping from album to album but that doesn't at all mean the band is going to give it up once sales become too low. If sales dry up, they'll more than likely be dropped from their label as they'll not want to market or throw money at a group that isn't producing results anymore. Though I highly doubt they'll ever be dropped as LP, along with Metallica, are really the driving force for Warner.

As far as LP going Independent, I don't think that would affect them at all. At this point in their career, LP is a house hold name across the world. They'll still sellout shows and headline festivals all over. They reached "gigantic and legendary status" ages ago.

When it comes to LP calling it quits, I don't see it happening for the forseeable future. If bands such as The Rolling Stones can make still be making music and touring after 50 years, LP can do the same. Though I cringe at the sight of a 70 year old Mike rapping.