New Gear stuff

While I all believe that they are tech savvy the latency is a technical restriction of capactitive touchscreens (which are used in pretty much every smartphone and tablet). The "normal" APIs you have to program these devices have already a latency of ~300 ms. The 80 ms delay is already when used on the lowest level and without switching out the hardware itself (which is pretty much impossible on apple devices or tablets/smartphones in general) you can't lower it.

To be precise: the latency is not about the software recognizing the input as an actual input. It is the time the touchscreen needs to process the input and send it over to the operating system. I don't think that any tweaks can lower it.

TBH the latency would be that small that its barley noticed. Everything Music is going to have some latency to process the note and turn it into music. Plus, when your using these things night in night out, you get used to the latency and adjust. Kinda like getting the feel for your car. You know how fast you can go into corner without the feel of getting thrown across the car. You feel your instruments. Like for example I run my instruments due to my average ass soundcard at 500ms delay so it has time to process. When using the ipad I feel as tho there is no delay and if there is, it is barley noticeable.

Sorry for the shit example but I hope that clears it up.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It seems like Joe has stopped using touchscreen MIDI controllers for the (short) North American tour, replacing the Lemur/iPad with a Native Instruments Maschine MK2 with a Custom Kit Dragon Red.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TM_-iOMlaE(7:44)

Joe uploaded a picture of his rig during rehearsals before the tour started. You can see the NI Maschine on this picture. https://instagram.com/p/xxbYzIuVfa/?taken-by=mrjoehahn

• 3 months later...
  • 9 years later...

Hopefully I am in the clear for this bump rather then creating a new topic. But the gear geek in me wants to talk all the new toys!

So as you can imagine, new tour, almost 7 years since the last means new gear. LP also auctioned off a lot of stuff as well a few years back so I'm expecting new rigs everywhere.

My notes so far:

- New rig for Joe. My pick ups is hes definitely using Native Instruments control vinyl as the logos are easily visible. I am pretty certain it is a Pioneer DJ DJM-S11 mixer with two Pioneer PLX-CRSS12 judging by A & Bing stock photos vs YouTube & Zane low interview shows. It looks like he has kept a bunch of Midi Fighter products with two Midi Fighter Twisters and two Midi Fighter Spectras. Can't make out whats between them but I assume its a screen to see Ableton Live view or control his turntables. He also has replaced his old NI Sample Pad and gone with two touch polyphonic touch pad Midi controllers. On research the only thing that is looking close is the ERAE Touch. Its hard to see the notch/control on the left hand side but the plugs on the back line up to what is seen in the shots we have of it so far so I am leaning towards that. From what else I can tell Joe has a small pedal board and an expression pedal at his feat during the show also seen in the background of the interview but zero idea what they are or where they're used.

- Mike also has a new rig. Doesn't look like a Nord keyboard anymore. I believe its a Native Instruments Kontrol S-Series MIDI keyboard judging by the lights and knob positions. I would assume 88 key model as well. Mike also has one of those ERAE Touch MIDI controllers Joe has. Next to that is definitely an LCD screen showing Ableton Live Session View. Next to that is possibility another ERAE Midi controller but its on an angle so its hard to tell.

- New kit obviously for Collin. DW brand kit with Zildjian cymbals. His whole set up and positioning is different to Robs which is obviously normal for a different drummer. Also got a bunch of Midi Triggers but unsure brand etc at this time as I haven't seen a decent shot but nowhere near as many as Rob used to have. Some drummer geek can look into that.

- Guitars I believe all were once part of LP's arsenal previously just now used in different tuning due to key changes etc. Great example is Mike's spray paint SIB guitar is now in D for faint when it used to always be a C# guitar. Alex is also using Brads arsenal of guitars which is interesting. I mean if you have them there you might as well use them. I don't think any of them have pedal boards as such but both Alex and Dave has a small stomp box at their feet either to turn their mics into talk back to talk to monitor world or a tuner.

- For mics I think they've ditched Sennheiser systems and gone with a Shure system. The Wireless mics are looking like AD3 Microphone judging by the shape, button and charging tips at bottom. Possibly a KSM9 head on it but not sure. Mike also definitely has a AD651B on his which like mentioned before allows him to switch to a talkback to talk to Monitor World. I don't believe it is on Emily's however.

- So all their In Ear Monitors are stumping me. Given they have gone with a Shure system (which I assume is an Axient system) for microphones I would of thought the IEMs were Shure too. However the body pack receiver they all have isnt as boxy enough IMO to be a Shure. Further they all have some sort of attachment which the headphones plug into. I'm going to keep looking into this one.

All in all, excited to see more footage and photos for the coming tour, but the above is what I've worked out so far.

file-1726020383664.jpeg

Photo of Mike Shinoda's keyboard rig provided by nerdmatics on Instagram who previously worked on his rig in 2014-2017.

Also: https://www.instagram.com/p/C_tCAfgv6fI/?img_index=1

On 9/9/2024 at 8:16 AM, Pez said:

- Mike also has a new rig. Doesn't look like a Nord keyboard anymore. I believe its a Native Instruments Kontrol S-Series MIDI keyboard judging by the lights and knob positions. I would assume 88 key model as well. Mike also has one of those ERAE Touch MIDI controllers Joe has. Next to that is definitely an LCD screen showing Ableton Live Session View. Next to that is possibility another ERAE Midi controller but its on an angle so its hard to tell.

You are correct and Mike is also now using a Native Instruments Maschine Mikro MK3 replacing the Maschine MK2 he had on his old rig. The ERAE Touch MIDI Controller on Mike's rig is replacing the iPads that ran Lemur to control filters (e.g cutoff filter on New Divide). The Virus Ti also seems to be gone aswell.

Another thing to mention is the Whammy pedal that was used on Waiting For The End seems to be gone now.

Collin is also using Roland Drum triggers on his kit. Not sure of the model but they can be seen here
file-1726020463757.jpeg

Edited by c3bebuilder

On 9/10/2024 at 6:02 AM, c3bebuilder said:

8F56550A-73DB-4142-B3BD-D24CD1F34239.jpg?ex=66e07785&is=66df2605&hm=ce54858d0949cf9ae1fec1eec7584556cd5b467eb420393d147692afbee87ba7&=

Photo of Mike Shinoda's keyboard rig provided by nerdmatics on Instagram who previously worked on his rig in 2014-2017.

Also: https://www.instagram.com/p/C_tCAfgv6fI/?img_index=1

You are correct and Mike is also now using a Native Instruments Maschine Mikro MK3 replacing the Maschine MK2 he had on his old rig. The ERAE Touch MIDI Controller on Mike's rig is replacing the iPads that ran Lemur to control filters (e.g cutoff filter on New Divide). The Virus Ti also seems to be gone aswell.

Another thing to mention is the Whammy pedal that was used on Waiting For The End seems to be gone now.

Collin is also using Roland Drum triggers on his kit. Not sure of the model but they can be seen here
IMG_1107.png?ex=66e0a3e9&is=66df5269&hm=1b7f06a53cc7988e3584224a0f0ecdfb9eff67500489fc82d06a2bbf2842321a&=

Great find. Are you able to relink the photos are they aren't viewable for me.

Saw a shot of the Roland drum triggers via Frank Maddocks instagram post. While hard to see in the light it looks like its the Roland PDX-100 pads.

cKoSBqa.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Pez said:

Great find. Are you able to relink the photos are they aren't viewable for me.

Saw a shot of the Roland drum triggers via Frank Maddocks instagram post. While hard to see in the light it looks like its the Roland PDX-100 pads.

cKoSBqa.jpeg

Yep fixed the image links sorry about that