A Thousand Problems.

NickDuffy

I never heard anything that sounded like In The End before no matter how basic the piano chords, guitar chords, and samples are. It all sounds beautiful and haunting, which is odd for a radio song. Somewhere I Belong is a bit similar, but that feels lighter and more energetic as opposed to dark and gloomy. I also didn't know song has to be progressive to be considered artistic and original. That is just stupid.

Songs with radio structures/basic structures on ATS: Burning In The Skies, Wretches And Kings, Iridescent, The Messenger. That's 4/9 songs, nearly half of the full length tracks on this album have a radio, OR A SIMPLE STRUCTURE.

Easier To Run has a bridge. Automatic loss there.

Secondly, you have no proof or evidence that the transition between Empty Spaces and When They Come For Me is meant to be abrupt. I'm not a fool, i'm honest.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that we're operating on different levels of knowledge here. You don't play a musical instrument right? Or you don't know much about theory?

I assume this because, if you did, you wouldn't call In The End "odd for a radio song." At its basic form, it's one of the most radio-y radio songs you could possibly think of. The structure, the chord changes, the complexity (or lack thereof), is what radio music is. Just because it sounds beautiful and haunting to you doesn't change those facts. It's easy to fluff up a basic song with special effects to make it sound good, just like its easy to fluff up a movie like Transformers to make it look good. That doesn't mean the song has substance.

Yes, 4 of the 9 songs on A Thousand Suns have very basic structures. This of course means that more than half of the songs don't, as opposed to HT and Meteora where most or all of the songs do. That's why I think A Thousand Suns is "alternative pop" rather than "experimental." It's a step in a really great direction for the band.

You're not a fool, but I do think you could stand to learn a bit more about how music actually works before trying to deeply evaluate an entire album.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't name anyone who has gone from a Hybrid Theory sound to A Thousand Suns sound and been successful. I think that is the biggest accomplishment of A Thousand Suns.

Radiohead kind of went that route. They started off as an Alternative Rock group and than went more experimental/progressive with their later releases.

• 2 weeks later...

each album has a different style

Not each album. Some artists play the same shit, again and again. But that insn't what I want to talk about.

LP is different than other artists because they broke their basic's. Other artists don't jump in other genre with a complete change they change the genre with their own basic sound. For example Metallica their change some their own style but they still Metallica with a heavy, metallodic sound. And now look at LP, their changed everything what they had, that insn't bad but also not great too.

We know what they can when they release working titels/demos where they mixed older things with something new. The only Problem what I have with LP is that they forget to rock.

I guess I have to you are right, they are different in the past but they are still a rockband or not ? Metallica didn't jump in a other genre like LP did, to be different, they grow up with their own sound and create new things with their style.

On the other side LP is really different, now they are a little bit of U2, Pink Flyod, Led Zeppelin, Radiohead ect. they didn't LP anymore. I understand what "FleshIntoGear" wanted tell us. LP started with a Nu metal sound, in their own kind of sound, they create something new and that blew us all away in the past ten years. Not every other Nu metal sound could compare with the sound from LP because they were more melodic and the lyrics were dark and deprresing they were a kind of new Nu metal era. But someday they thought "we have to be different" and this is okay but personally I think when I'm in a band I should don't forget my roots, I should create Music with the roots I began, different but a kind of that. "Bleed it out" is a example that it works, to be different but still with heavy LP Sound.

That is what I think, A Thousand Suns ins't bad, it just slow, silence and not heavy, more pop as rock.

Edited by Exzero

I think when I'm in a band I should don't forget my roots, I should create Music with the roots I began, different but a kind of that.

Why? Why limit yourself to one particular type of music? Why not make whatever you want to make, no matter what it sounds like?

Because it is easier to jump in definitely new style and copie things from others. It is more challenge when level up my stlye with new things and create something new with that what sound like before, to become a sound that is different but is still what I am and what I was. Become to this is more challenge and more difficult, but bands who went that way are legends, you know ? And LP didn't want to try this, they go the easy way and sell the style that they have really good because of a great Fanbase.

Because it is easier to jump in definitely new style and copie things from others. It is more challenge when level up my stlye with new things and create something new with that what sound like before, to become a sound that is different but is still what I am and what I was. Become to this is more challenge and more difficult, but bands who went that way are legends, you know ? And LP didn't want to try this, they go the easy way and sell the style that they have really good because of a great Fanbase.

That doesn't make any sense. How is it easier to do something you’ve never done before than to continue doing what you already know how to do? When is that EVER true?

So it would be easier for a professional football player to just stop everything and start playing basketball? It would be easier to just move all your stuff to a new house instead of buying new furniture? It would be easier to stop building houses and start building cars? McDonalds should drop everything and start selling shoes?

What bands do you think of as "legendary"? All of the legendary bands I can think of, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Metallica, U2, Radiohead, are known for experimenting with new music. THAT is what made them legends. I seriously don't know what you're talking about with this post, but it just is not true.

Edited by Xero21

I guess I have to you are right, they are different in the past but they are still a rockband or not ? Metallica didn't jump in a other genre like LP did, to be different, they grow up with their own sound and create new things with their style.

LP are still very much a rock band. They take influence from other genres, most notably electronica and hip hop, but they're stil definitely rock. The only song on ATS you could really call pop is Waiting for the End, and that's a long shot.

Hybrid Theory- Nu Metal

Meteora- Nu Metal

Minutes to Midnight- Rock

A Thousand Suns- Pop Rock tbh

A Thousand Suns was a drastic change no matter what people say. Some people liked the change some didn't. as for me i hated the change. I look back and think to myself, why did i preorder this junk. Where is LP as i know it. This is not LP no matter what anyone says. LP was in Meteora. Lp was even in Minutes to Midnight, but LP left themselves behind with ATS. ATS just feels like a cd from some band with two singers, does not feel like it was a cd from Linkin Park

We need more crickets!

Songs like "In The End" are very creative instrumentally, and songs like "Easier To Run" are creative structurally. This isn't new guys. Remember how Linkin Park said that they brought out more electronica in Meteora than Hybrid Theory? This is the same thing, except the main element of this album is electronica. Nothing about this album is groundbreaking, original, or even weird. Songs like "Burning In The Skies" and "Iridescent" feel like Minutes To Midnight b-sides, "Wretches and Kings" sounds like a Meteora or Fort Minor b-side, "Blackout" sounds like a possible Reanimation 2.0 track, and the list goes on. I am a fan of all types of music, so this album to me feels like a compilation album, or having my iPod on shuffle. You have some random interlude tracks thrown in there, and some rap songs, slow songs, you get the idea. Meteora had songs that varied styles, and some people forget that. Listen to "Somewhere I Belong", "Easier To Run", "Breaking The Habit", and "Nobody's Listening". There's your variety.

You contradict yourself here though. The reason I love ATS is because of the variety, and saying Meteora has variety is crazy. Think at the end of the day you just prefer their old style, which is fair play! I just don't agree with your conclusions.

We need more crickets!

You contradict yourself here though. The reason I love ATS is because of the variety, and saying Meteora has variety is crazy. Think at the end of the day you just prefer their old style, which is fair play! I just don't agree with your conclusions.

i will agree that ATS has variety but i agree with him that Meteora has variety too. Songs like Numb, Hit the Floor, Don't Stay, Figure.09, Breaking the Habbit. They are all different from each other and provide great variety. also easier to run