'Iridescent' Artwork Contest Problem

hahninator

KATHYxx found an article worth bringing up from deviantArt - read here. It appears that the winner of the 'Iridescent' artwork contest that Linkin Park recently held may have broken the rules.

"Right so.. We all know they had a contest going on.

Most of you even submitted entries to this contest.

A few simple Rules:

- One per person

- TF3 has to be included

- No watermarks from the user

- Has to be 1200x1200 or higher

- Submission Deadline June 12th"

Click here for the pictures the post refers to when they say that the winner has submitted EIGHT images to the contest.

"Most of the entries were correctly done within the rules. Some uploaded more then what they should of (they just didnt read) but - this guy won it? So why did we spend all of our time on one submission when they wouldn't of bothered looking through them properly?"

What do you guys think about this?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've already stated my views on Facebook (as Will) and Twitter; a lot of artists may have had many different ideas for the Iridescent artwork, but according to the rules they had to choose one and go with that. This individual uploaded ALL his ideas, which gave him more of a chance than everyone else to be spotted and chosen.

The fact that the judges of the contest didn't enforce the rules is really a shame because there were a lot of good alternatives there by people who DID follow the rules.

This sucks so much.

BUT were they really gonna look to see if the person only submitted one entry? They should have but it's doesn't surprise me that they didn't.

I'm still disappointed. Mine had no chance but this is still unfair.

Edited by Doris The Spider

This is going to be harsh so I apologize in advance but:

I am more upset at the fact that the winning entry is terrible as opposed to them not following the rules. Sure, breaking the rules is BS and he should be disqualified but honestly, I think other entries deserved to win. There are some fantastic pieces that if they were to have been shown to me, I would've believed it was official artwork done by the band or someone involved with them.

Hopefully this gets sorted out. I can see this discouraging a lot of people from wanting to participate in future contests like this.

edit: I know I sound like a jerk concerning my opinion of the winning piece but come on! >.<

Edited by Hybrid1988

This sucks so much.

BUT were they really gonna look to see if the person only submitted one entry? They should have but it's doesn't surprise me that they didn't.

I'm still disappointed. Mine had no chance but this is still unfair.

Actually, it wouldn't have been that difficult. Let's say they went through and picked 1 piece of artwork and chose 9 runner-ups or so.

All they'd need to do is look through the artist's gallery (not very difficult) to see whether there were other entries. If there were multiple entries, then that person would be disqualified, and they could repeat the process with the runner-ups.

If they weren't going to enforce the rules, then they simply could have not had the rule in the first place. Then no one would be complaining (well, they'd probably complain about the bad quality or whatever).

I'd either like one of two things to have:

1) the band re-picks a new winner, or

2) we vote for a new winner

The ones posted on the article are fucking mind blowing.

http://th08.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2011...idz-d3ho33w.jpg

This one blew my mind especially,

http://th04.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2011...j_o-d3ig9bd.jpg

We should start a petition. :P

Actually, it wouldn't have been that difficult. Let's say they went through and picked 1 piece of artwork and chose 9 runner-ups or so.

All they'd need to do is look through the artist's gallery (not very difficult) to see whether there were other entries. If there were multiple entries, then that person would be disqualified, and they could repeat the process with the runner-ups.

If they weren't going to enforce the rules, then they simply could have not had the rule in the first place. Then no one would be complaining (well, they'd probably complain about the bad quality or whatever).

In this case, all they would have had to do is look at the TITLE of the submission to see something was up.

http://howazzim.deviantart.com/art/LinkinP...ent-4-211681032

I am more disappointed with the management here than the 'winner.' This is laziness in the extreme. I bet the band had some random person pick the final five and they didn't care about getting the best ones.

Next contest, every person's gonna submit 100 entries each in a spam attempt to be picked at random. That's what happens when this sort of thing is encouraged. Why bother putting any work into it?

(image)

(image)

Those are great. I especially enjoyed the other one with the Transformer and a girl. Ah, well.

In this case, all they would have had to do is look at the TITLE of the submission to see something was up.

http://howazzim.deviantart.com/art/LinkinP...ent-4-211681032

I am more disappointed with the management here than the 'winner.' This is laziness in the extreme. I bet the band had some random person pick the final five and they didn't care about getting the best ones.

Next contest, every person's gonna submit 100 entries each in a spam attempt to be picked at random. That's what happens when this sort of thing is encouraged. Why bother putting any work into it?

Exactly, what's the point of these rules if they won't make sure they're enforced?

And it definitely seems like they didn't look through all the submissions if they picked this one...it wasn't bad, it just obviously wasn't the best, or well-suited to be the cover really.

Edited by Serenity of Ashes

Nobody should care. He submitted 8 so what...that doesn't mean that the band doesn't have a right to choose who they want on their cover.

It means he was eight times more likely to get discovered than someone who followed the rules.

It means that a lot of people wasted enormous amounts of time trying to do their best. I spent 8 hours on mine and mine is mediocre at best. I can't imagine the anguish of someone who really tried on this contest.

It means that, unless action is taken, all contests following this are going to be a farce, because it's going to become a spam hell if quantity over quality is what the judges are looking for.

It means that the contest wasn't fair and didn't follow it's own contract. The rules are written in lawyerese for pete's sake.

And finally, it means that the winner isn't a good of artist as the other participants. Choosing ONE and only one entry is the hardest decision in the entire process. It's a make or break moment. Allowing a cheater to win basically puts everyone else at a very large disadvantage as he didn't have to go through the most difficult part of the process.

If the band wanted to "choose who they wanted" they would have hired a graphic designer to do exactly what they wanted. Instead they did a contest and didn't follow their own rules in judging.

It means he was eight times more likely to get discovered than someone who followed the rules.

It means that a lot of people wasted enormous amounts of time trying to do their best. I spent 8 hours on mine and mine is mediocre at best. I can't imagine the anguish of someone who really tried on this contest.

It means that, unless action is taken, all contests following this are going to be a farce, because it's going to become a spam hell if quantity over quality is what the judges are looking for.

It means that the contest wasn't fair and didn't follow it's own contract. The rules are written in lawyerese for pete's sake.

And finally, it means that the winner isn't a good of artist as the other participants. Choosing ONE and only one entry is the hardest decision in the entire process. It's a make or break moment. Allowing a cheater to win basically puts everyone else at a very large disadvantage as he didn't have to go through the most difficult part of the process.

If the band wanted to "choose who they wanted" they would have hired a graphic designer to do exactly what they wanted. Instead they did a contest and didn't follow their own rules in judging.

Well said.

Yes, quoted for truth.

I can see this discouraging a lot of people from wanting to participate in future contests like this.

What would be discouraging? The fact that rules weren't enforced properly or the fact that are some pretty savage LP fans who feel that it's in a completely mature manner to talk down about a piece of art that won a contest and potentially damage someones personality all because they were displeased that their hard work and efforts did not appeal to the band who hosted the contest to begin with?

Don't bash the artist directly as a way to vent the frustration that resulted from poor management in this contest.

If the band wanted to "choose who they wanted" they would have hired a graphic designer to do exactly what they wanted.

We can't safely assume that though. They have always given the fans a chance to be a part of something related to the band.

Edited by rav0k

Yeah I didn't like that, for many Reasons. all above, and for more reasons to add. I submitted my Iridescent artwork on the early days. When the music video came out which was all black and white all of the sudden everyone posted more black and white art. but as i follow the rules.. I already submitted one entry.. so i couldnt retry

And then to hear this. All just not fair :(

To those of you saying this person "cheated" and abused the rules:

Posted Image

That's all that I paid attention to when I considered entering. Now once again, should we be blaming the artist or the people who organized this event? Those are pretty simple steps to follow right there.

http://th08.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2011...idz-d3ho33w.jpg

http://th04.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2011...j_o-d3ig9bd.jpg

those two didnt win o.O
they are beyond awesome Edited by GraDoN

Im really annoyed for two reasons.. the cover is pretty shit. No really.. im serious. They have used the old LP symbol and the MTM title. If i was picking the winner, anyone who used stuff (old symbol, old font, anything like that) from this album cycle should have been out, because this is for ATS not MTM. Its fucked that they picked that from some other master pieces.

Edit: sorry, I was looking at the one posted in that post. Not the official one.

This is the real one.

secondly, hes broken the rules. They are there for a good reason. Seriously really annoying. They arent even new ideas.. If he had made 2 or 3 good original ones, all different and one of them were picked i dont think people would be so up in arms about.

/rant end

Edited by Ginger

Im really annoyed for two reasons.. the cover is pretty shit. No really.. im serious. They have used the old LP symbol and the MTM title. If i was picking the winner, anyone who used stuff (old symbol, old font, anything like that) from this album cycle should have been out, because this is for ATS not MTM. Its fucked that they picked that from some other master pieces.

They supplied that "old" stuff in the download package. Stop jumping the bandwagon. We all know that Gingers have souls. ;)

Edited by rav0k

Posted Image

That's all that I paid attention to when I considered entering. Now once again, should we be blaming the artist or the people who organized this event? Those are pretty simple steps to follow right there.

To be honest, at first I wasn't sure if we could submit more than one. But then I saw someone on LPA post a link to the rules. I read it there. But I don't know how they got to the rules I never saw a link any where. I'm sure a lot of people never even saw them.

They should have done it in a way that people could only post one. I'm just not sure how. :/

Posted Image

Those aren't the rules. That's a how-to / FAQ of sorts.

You follow the link that goes the the official rules. always. I'm guessing by the ignorance of it's location they should have blown up the size of the link more, because this was linked to right from the main DA page. I dont get how people missed it.

http://www.linkinpark.com/profiles/blogs/i...artwork-contest

And yes, I don't see many people here actually blaming the artist for this, except for not following the rules, which is dishonorable, but not as dishonorable as the people running the show. Well, and that the work genuinely isn't good. He basically took a stock photo of Optimus and put a grey filter over it. Took 30 minutes max.

Edited by KATHYxx