Mike's responsibilities on LP

jakolp

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to everyone saying Mike sings more on ATS, lets break it down.

Burning in the Skies- 50% Chester, 50% Mike

When They Come For Me-75% Mike, 25% Chester

Robot Boy- 50% Chester, 50% Mike

Waiting For the End- 50% Chester, 50% Mike

Blackout- 75% Chester, 25% Mike

Wretches and Kings- 75% Mike, 25% Chester

Iridescent- 45% Chester, 45% Mike, 10% whole band

The Catalyst- 55% Chester, 45% Mike (a bunch of layering so could be 50-50)

The Messenger- 100% Chester

so In all reality, Chester sings MORE

And Mike sang a lot less in MTM so you would expect him to sing more on ATS

Edited by blakebeats

Personally, i think Mike singing was a long time coming and should have happened sooner. Now all he needs to do is improve upon it. He would never have a range bigger than he has but he doesn't need to. I love how his voice goes well with Chester's and is part of my favourite things about ATS.

This. I pray for the day his singing gets well enough for NRL live lol.

Lol well yeah I was just throwing it out there... And I never said MIKE could hit all the notes, just that hitting the notes does not make someone a good singer. And I hate Axl Rose's voice, but yes he can sing. I just don't find Mike a good singer :P

And well, maybe I 'interpreted' it wrong, maybe other people do. All of it is a speculation. Personally, I am a huge fan and I have like 700 LP tracks on my comp x) but I'm not someone who agrees with everything Mike does haha. And sometimes, it takes getting bored to be good at something. You think I wasn't bored perfecting piano for 10 years? :P Sacrifices need to be made sometimes.

Mike definitely needs to practice some more live because i dig his performance on the album so very much.

And dude, i could never do what you do. If i am not enjoying every inch of the journey, i would quit it, needless dedicate and sacrifice the time to perfect something. Kudos. Some people just don't care about the sort of mastering you talk about. Some people's version of perfect is being competent. For me, i hate limiting myself. I want to do everything i'm interested in. I want to learn how to play a piano, a guitar, a violin and so forth. Knowing how to play them would be good enough for me.

Here's a big question. Much like Billy Corgan is doing with TSP, do you all think LP could continue on with just Mike and a different group of musicians?

Nope. And i doubt he'd want too. And after all, Mike isn't the only original founder of the band. There is Brad and Rob who needs to be contended with.

I think it takes a certain alignment of the stars to create the perfect synergy and combination that works. Unless the new additions were a result of the stars aligning once again, it wouldn't work and you can't force it.

Nope. And i doubt he'd want too. And after all, Mike isn't the only original founder of the band. There is Brad and Rob who needs to be contended with.

I think it takes a certain alignment of the stars to create the perfect synergy and combination that works. Unless the new additions were a result of the stars aligning once again, it wouldn't work and you can't force it.

This.

I think that LP will only be LP with who they have now. Different musicians are going to play things differently, are going to have different styles of ideas, leading to a change in the sound. yes, I know they've been changing their sound up, but you know what I mean. They might be able to sound the same live playing the songs from album 1-4, but anything after will definitely be non LP sounding.

I can see Mike now more likely to do a DBS type deal than he did with FM, but as far as making that side project permanent, it just wouldn't work.

Edited by MrCinder

If the next album has even less Chester than ATS did, I will no longer be an LP fan. Mike is amazing, but it isn't right for him to lead sing on almost every song. What made me fall in love with LP was Chester and his voice. Mike is a great rapper, but a horrible singer IMO.Yeah, Mike can hit the notes. But he makes everything sound too perfect. I like singers that aren't always perfectly on pitch, but have ENERGY. Mike is soooooooooo monotone it's not even funny. Chester brings energy and character. I'm PRAYING for a second DBS album.

i agree with you 100%. i love mike and i appreciate his talents, and i would never deny that he's the major work horse for the band, but you can't have LP without Chester either. bottom line. and i would love to see another DBS album.

So, almost everyone agrees that Mike has the most influence on LP while almost everyone thinks that LP would be nothing without Chester..

Interesting..

About the other members

For me, Brad is a weak guitarist with amazing riffs (they're not complicated but they are super-catchy)

Rob is the most talented person after Mike.. He's an amazing drummer.. Just awesome

Phoenix is also an amazing bassist but he's not as famous as he should be (hope you get what I mean)

I can't say anything about Hahn 'cause I haven't heard any other dj on a rock band, but I can say that I love his scratches and samples.

Overall LP has the greatest combination!!

Just hope they can manage their roles as they're supposed to..

So, almost everyone agrees that Mike has the most influence on LP while almost everyone thinks that LP would be nothing without Chester..

Interesting..

About the other members

For me, Brad is a weak guitarist with amazing riffs (they're not complicated but they are super-catchy)

Rob is the most talented person after Mike.. He's an amazing drummer.. Just awesome

Phoenix is also an amazing bassist but he's not as famous as he should be (hope you get what I mean)

I can't say anything about Hahn 'cause I haven't heard any other dj on a rock band, but I can say that I love his scratches and samples.

Overall LP has the greatest combination!!

Just hope they can manage their roles as they're supposed to..

Well, its because of Chester's voice as why they said that. Sure Mike is a great repper, but Chesters voice and his style of signing (and their sound) is what made me a lp fan back in 06. As for BRad and Rob i agree. And i think joe is underrated a lot. he is awesome

Let's look at some numbers (Mike n Chaz's vocal contributions)

HT: (Chester=71.2%) (Mike=28.7%)

1.Papercut- Chester (1:40) Mike (0:

2.One Step Closer- Chester (1:50)

3.With You- Chester (1:46) Mike (1:10)

4.Points- Chester (2:21) Mike (1:10)

5.Crawling- Chester (2:50) Mike (0:53)

6.Runaway- Chester (2:15) Mike (0:24)

7.By Myself- Chester (1:28) Mike (1:32)

8.In The End- Chester (2:03) Mike (1:12)

9.APFMH- Chester (1:39) Mike (1:07)

10.Forgotten- Chester (2:12) Mike (1:23)

11.Cure for the itch

12.Pushing me Away- Chester (2:41) Mike (0:22)

MTM: (Chester=77.7%) (Mike=22.3%)

1.Wake

2.Given Up- Chester (2:28)

3.LOATR- Chester (2:49)

4.Bleed it out- Chester (1:20) Mike (1:04)

5.Shadow of the day- Chester (2:22)

6.What Ive Done- Chester (2:24) Mike (0:19)

7.Hands Held High- Mike (2:45) Gang (1:38)

8.No More Sorrow- Chester (2:20)

9.Valentine's day- Chester (2:39)

10.In Between- Mike (2:20)

11.In Pieces- Chester (2:14)

12.Little Things- Chester (3:59) Mike (0:48)

I am really surprised that Mike didn't contribute as much vocals to HT as i thought. But it is still obvious his vocal input is reduced on MTM. A Thousand suns coming up later%

Edited by LMK

1.Papercut- Chester (1:40) Mike (0:58)

11.Cure for the itch

1.Wake

I am really surprised that Mike didn't contribute as much vocals to HT as i thought. But it is still obvious his vocal input is reduced on MTM. A Thousand suns coming up later%

i swore HT was more 50-50. you did lots of work it looks like. I did one for ATS but did not put actaully amount of time for each song. Chester sings barely more becuase of The Messenger, but when you do it like this, i could a little bit more drastic or less drastic close wise. Alos, if you watch the One Step Closer music video, in the video mike is singing in some parts. doesn't mike do a tiny bit on OSC? Also, if it wasn't for BTH and Numb i think Meteora would be about 50-50 Edited by blakebeats

11.Cure for the itch

1.Wake

- Interesting counting, thank you.  ;)

11.Cure for the itch

1.Wake

Nice done! But as Blakebeats says, did you count the backing vocals along?

i swore HT was more 50-50. you did lots of work it looks like. I did one for ATS but did not put actaully amount of time for each song. Chester sings barely more becuase of The Messenger, but when you do it like this, i could a little bit more drastic or less drastic close wise. Alos, if you watch the One Step Closer music video, in the video mike is singing in some parts. doesn't mike do a tiny bit on OSC? Also, if it wasn't for BTH and Numb i think Meteora would be about 50-50

On the studio version of One Step Closer, Mike doesn't do any vocals.

thats what it sounds like but in the music video you can see him singing, which i found weird

Well, in the video for "We Made it", you can see Mike and Chester saying the "oh!" , which are clearly said by Busta Rhymes in reality. I can guarantee you OSC studio is 100% Chester.

Interesting..

Basically summarized haha, exactly what I think x)

And the reason - there are many talented bands out there, but it really takes a special something to get yourself noticed. And for a lot of people, it happens to be Chester's voice.

Meteora (Chester=71.5%) (Mike=28.5%)

1.Foreward

2.Don't Stay- Chester (2:25)

3.Somewhere I Belong- Chester (2:28) Mike (0:48)

4.Lying From You- Chester (1:34) Mike (1:24)

5.Hit the Floor- Chester (0:55) Mike (1:14)

6.Easier to Run- Chester (2:01) Mike (0:45)

7.Faint- Chester (1:23) Mike (0:44)

8.Figure 09- Chester (2:01) Mike (0:45)

9.Breaking the Habit- Chester (2:33)

10.From the Inside- Chester (1:56) Mike (0:32)

11.Nobody's Listening- Chester (0:56) Mike (1:50)

12.Session

13.Numb- Chester (2:33) Mike (0:13)

ATS (Chester=59.8%) (Mike=40.2%)

1.The Requiem- Mike (0:43)

2.The Radiance

3.Burning in the Skies- Mike (1:04) Chester (1:52)

4.Empty Spaces

5.When They Come for Me- Mike (1:25) Chester (2:12)

6.Robot Boy (Too difficult to count)

7.Jornada- Mike (0:33) Chester (0:33)

8.WFTE- Mike (1:05) Chester (2:14)

9.Wretches & Kings- Mike (1:38) Chester (1:31)

10.Blackout- Mike (1:01) Chester (2:00) (Come down part prone to mistakes)

11.WJL

12.Iridescent- Mike (0:58) Chester (1:49) Gang (1:02)

13.Fallout- Mike (0:58)

14.The Catalyst- Mike (2:10) Chester (2:54)

15.The Messenger- Chester (2:03)

Numbers don't Lie. Mike's vocal input was doubled on ATS is indeed Mike Album. Holy Shit......

Edited by LMK

Numbers don't Lie. Mike's vocal input was doubled on ATS is indeed Mike Album. Holy Shit......

haha, well there is nothing bad IMO with his numbers doubled. He just needs to rap more and sing less. Not that i don't like his singing, but he needss to rap more

Edit: How does Chester sing more on When The Come For Me then Mike?

Edited by blakebeats

haha, well there is nothing bad IMO with his numbers doubled. He just needs to rap more and sing less. Not that i don't like his singing, but he needss to rap more

Edit: How does Chester sing more on When The Come For Me then Mike?

Isn't the "Ahhhhhhhh" part sang by chester? While i was counting the timings for all albums, i found out that Mike verses are always shorter that Chester's Verses/chorus no matter what.

Isn't the "Ahhhhhhhh" part sang by chester? While i was counting the timings for all albums, i found out that Mike verses are always shorter that Chester's Verses/chorus no matter what.

oh yeah i guess. it just seems like WFCFM Mike sings mire but i guess not especiall if ou count the AHHH part

Did you count the parts where Mike is harmonizing with Chester? Becuase I'm pretty sure Mike does some backing vocals on No More Sorrow.

And for Robot Boy, I think most of the song is sung by the two together (except Chester does the oohs and aahs and stuff so he'd have a little bit more).