Mike's responsibilities on LP

jakolp

Hybrid Theory is released. Mike is rapping and playing guitar on some songs.

LP's second album Meteora is released. Linkin Park have already big success. Here Mike is rapping again but we can hear him play guitar on more songs. And he also has a keyboard too now.

Minutes to Midnight. Shinoda goes a step forward. He is the co-producer of the album. Plays lots of guitar, all the keyboard, raps and makes his first appearence as a lead singer on In Between and the unreleased No Roads Left.

A Thousand Suns. Mike is much more present than Chester, co-producer again with Rick Rubin, lead sings and raps, handles all the keyboard and palys lots of guitar.

Mike is working silently but we're heading to the moment that he'll be doing all the work on LP's album!!

Just some thoughts I had. Nothing special xD

Feel free to comment.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The progression isn't anywhere near as drastic as you're making it out to be. Just about all of the music on Hybrid Theory and a good chunk of Meteora was co-written by Mike and Brad (and even in more recent years, Mike always writes more seeds/demos than anybody else in the band), and Mike's always written a lot of vocal parts that Chester ends up singing. Mike's always been about 75% of the "Linkin Park sound," whatever that may be at any given point.

Also, to be nitpicky, Mike didn't start playing guitar in LP until 2001, as Pushing Me Away and Crawling weren't played live until the Street Soldiers tour.

I know Mike is the brain of LP, but we tend to forget Brad is also really important in the composition phase. Chester have already pointed it out a few times " ...some of the most prolific writers of our times, M.Sinoda and Brad Delson...."

I think poor Brad's contributions to the band is greatly underrated and under appreciated.

Additionally- while I agree that Mike is indeed the "brain" of the group, I think Chester is the extra 'oumph" that made LP what they are. The voice and even more so, the charisma and character that he has brought to the band. His experiences make the songs more real to me and more inspirational.

The progression isn't anywhere near as drastic as you're making it out to be. Just about all of the music on Hybrid Theory and a good chunk of Meteora was co-written by Mike and Brad (and even in more recent years, Mike always writes more seeds/demos than anybody else in the band), and Mike's always written a lot of vocal parts that Chester ends up singing. Mike's always been about 75% of the "Linkin Park sound," whatever that may be at any given point.

Yeah. As I said before in another thread, it's a common thing for one or two people in a band consisting of five or more to write the majority of the music. Billy Corgan is the perfect example of this. And hell, Jasen Rauch, who's the main writer for Red, wrote all of they're new album and he isn't even in the band anymore.

I think Mike has been moving from more of a "behind the scenes" role, to testing his abilities more each album. I think that the others may see this, and are willing to see what becomes of it. Kinda like "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" situation -

Mike's always been about 75% of the "Linkin Park sound," whatever that may be at any given point.

The other guys may see that same concept and think "let's see what he's got next". I'm not saying that it's "ok Mike, what do you want us to do now?", it's "I like that, let's keep that".

Personally, the balance that they are at now seems to be the best position for them now.

Mike's rapping - epic, he has great flow, and power behind his words

Chester's screaming - I like it, unlike other artists that do screamo shit

Mike and Chester singing - their voices are completely different, but mix well with each other, and we've seen the results of when they do that.

Instrumentally - they've been mixing up what each person does (Chester, Brad, and Phoenix on drums along with Rob?), so the boundaries they may have previously had are becoming less noticeable, allowing them to further expand the "LP genre/sound" in the future.

Gang vocals - damn. That's all I have to say.

I think, as a band, they would eventually shift and change as they have, but I also believe that Mike may be a driving force behind that testing of abilities.

We might go through a little era of "over-exposure" of Mike and not enough Brad/Joe/Rob/Phoenix, but eventually, they'll find the combination that will be so epic, it will make everyone think "why didn't they do this from the start?"

If the next album has even less Chester than ATS did, I will no longer be an LP fan. Mike is amazing, but it isn't right for him to lead sing on almost every song. What made me fall in love with LP was Chester and his voice. Mike is a great rapper, but a horrible singer IMO.Yeah, Mike can hit the notes. But he makes everything sound too perfect. I like singers that aren't always perfectly on pitch, but have ENERGY. Mike is soooooooooo monotone it's not even funny. Chester brings energy and character. I'm PRAYING for a second DBS album.

Edited by Geki

People exaggerate way too much on the whole Mike writes all the stuff for LP especially on ATS. You hear a piano? It's all Mike's work. You hear beats? It's all Mike's work blah blah blah...

It reminds me of the early previews of ATS from some fans. One of them called ATS, Fort Minor featuring Linkin Park or Chester. After i listened to the album, i started wondering what that fan was smoking or if they were referring to When Chester joined Mike to sing Where'd you go on tour. I mean really, ATS FM with a side of LP? So because Mike is singing instead of rapping, it is automatically FM ft. LP?

Another thing that makes me laugh is the whole "Mike is singing way too much instead of Chester who is singing less." I ask you this, did you ever listen to Hybrid Theory or Meteora? Substitute all of Mike's rapping parts on those albums with singing and you have the same amount of vocal input from Mike. Because he's singing, you pay more attention and over emphasize and give it more weight than it actually has.

The only time Mike's vocal input reduced was on MTM. It's always been the same. He's either rapping or singing. Personally, i think that was the natural progression.

Another thing that makes me laugh is the whole "Mike is singing way too much instead of Chester who is singing less." I ask you this, did you ever listen to Hybrid Theory or Meteora? Substitute all of Mike's rapping parts on those albums with singing and you have the same amount of vocal input from Mike. Because he's singing, you pay more attention and over emphasize and give it more weight than it actually has.

The only time Mike's vocal input reduced was on MTM. It's always been the same. He's either rapping or singing. Personally, i think that was the natural progression.

This. They've always been co-lead vocalists except for MTM.

People exaggerate way too much on the whole Mike writes all the stuff for LP especially on ATS. You hear a piano? It's all Mike's work. You hear beats? It's all Mike's work blah blah blah...

It reminds me of the early previews of ATS from some fans. One of them called ATS, Fort Minor featuring Linkin Park or Chester. After i listened to the album, i started wondering what that fan was smoking or if they were referring to When Chester joined Mike to sing Where'd you go on tour. I mean really, ATS FM with a side of LP? So because Mike is singing instead of rapping, it is automatically FM ft. LP?

It's not Mike's VOCALS that are annoying me personally... I would love it if he rapped more verses.

Of course I acknowledge the fact that I do not know the band or their exact roles, however, this is how I interpret the situation -

Mike is an extremely talented person, one that I would consider a genius in his level of creativity. However, he is trying too hard to be good at everything instead of mastering a couple of things. He is an incredible rapper, but he is not adding to that anymore. He can play piano and guitar, but are not improving at those either.

Singing is a natural talent, one can hit the notes with perfect pitch and still not be an incredible singer. To me, Mike is an average singer (he's not bad, but there is nothing that attracts me about it), but he is unwilling to accept the fact that he is not an excellent rapper/producer/keyboardist/guitarist AND singer. He'll have to accept the fact that Chester is better eventually...

It's not Mike's VOCALS that are annoying me personally... I would love it if he rapped more verses.

Of course I acknowledge the fact that I do not know the band or their exact roles, however, this is how I interpret the situation -

Mike is an extremely talented person, one that I would consider a genius in his level of creativity. However, he is trying too hard to be good at everything instead of mastering a couple of things. He is an incredible rapper, but he is not adding to that anymore. He can play piano and guitar, but are not improving at those either.

Singing is a natural talent, one can hit the notes with perfect pitch and still not be an incredible singer. To me, Mike is an average singer (he's not bad, but there is nothing that attracts me about it), but he is unwilling to accept the fact that he is not an excellent rapper/producer/keyboardist/guitarist AND singer. He'll have to accept the fact that Chester is better eventually...

:lol: I don't think Mike thinks he's an excellent singer or an excellent anything. Yes, Chester is the better singer by a mile. I didn't know that was ever up for debate. It's like a duh moment. Mike barely started singing and its not his most comfortable position. Mind you, there is a difference between being a good singer and preferring a singers voice. I don't care for Axl Rose's voice or Layne Staley's but i know Layne could sing. Mike far from hit all the notes he's supposed to on the songs. Even he knows that. And i doubt he would have started singing at all, needless on ATS if his band mates didn't prod him or felt it was what they wanted out of him.

I don't think you're interpreting Mike's curiosity with trying different things the proper way. I honestly doubt that he plays instruments and does what he does because he wants to be good at everything. He seems to me like the kind of person who would get bored easily if he had to stick to playing one instrument or doing on thing for a long time even if he becomes good at it.

Personally, i think Mike singing was a long time coming and should have happened sooner. Now all he needs to do is improve upon it. He would never have a range bigger than he has but he doesn't need to. I love how his voice goes well with Chester's and is part of my favourite things about ATS.

:lol: I don't think Mike thinks he's an excellent singer or an excellent anything. Yes, Chester is the better singer by a mile. I didn't know that was ever up for debate. It's like a duh moment. Mike barely started singing and its not his most comfortable position. Mind you, there is a difference between being a good singer and preferring a singers voice. I don't care for Axl Rose's voice or Layne Staley's but i know Layne could sing. Mike far from hit all the notes he's supposed to on the songs. Even he knows that. And i doubt he would have started singing at all, needless on ATS if his band mates didn't prod him or felt it was what they wanted out of him.

I don't think you're interpreting Mike's curiosity with trying different things the proper way. I honestly doubt that he plays instruments and does what he does because he wants to be good at everything. He seems to me like the kind of person who would get bored easily if he had to stick to playing one instrument or doing on thing for a long time even if he becomes good at it.

Personally, i think Mike singing was a long time coming and should have happened sooner. Now all he needs to do is improve upon it. He would never have a range bigger than he has but he doesn't need to. I love how his voice goes well with Chester's and is part of my favourite things about ATS.

Lol well yeah I was just throwing it out there... And I never said MIKE could hit all the notes, just that hitting the notes does not make someone a good singer. And I hate Axl Rose's voice, but yes he can sing. I just don't find Mike a good singer :P

And well, maybe I 'interpreted' it wrong, maybe other people do. All of it is a speculation. Personally, I am a huge fan and I have like 700 LP tracks on my comp x) but I'm not someone who agrees with everything Mike does haha. And sometimes, it takes getting bored to be good at something. You think I wasn't bored perfecting piano for 10 years? :P Sacrifices need to be made sometimes.