DSP's Are Listed!

tschenneck

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 days? lol if thats really how it is thats extremely slow. I remember last year when i saw Metallica, the morning after the show their DSP was up haha

Nov 10, 2008 email I had with Pooch will explain this perfectly.

Mark: "One thing I was wondering about. On the LiveMetallica site that they sell their shows on...I've been reading that they have the shows uploaded 12 hours afterwards. 2 shows ago it said: "And now, tonight's show is presented to you...just one hour after the band stepped off stage." How is that possible? Do they (the Metallica crew) have some sort of "super rig" that they just open the show with, click a button and it mixes it for them with the same presets each time? Do they have a much smaller set of inputs than LP has? Hopefully I'm not coming off as expecting you to be a Metallica genius, but I was just curious as to how their shows are done so fast. Almost all of their shows sound the same I noticed, while the LP ones vary by the venue (which gives the show a good, unique atmosphere/environment that the LP fans like a lot, actually). I know you and Dylan spend countless hours doing the mixes for LP with what seems like billions of different sounds to be mixed together, so Nick and I were trying to figure out how Metallica was accomplishing this. We agreed that we liked the overall sound of the LP audio better than the Metallica audio (theirs sounds very raw to us). Perhaps their crew goes right from the board to mixing the show and uploading or something? I was just REALLY astonished that they could mix AND upload a show in less than an hour. Honestly, effort and quality does show, which is why theirs seems to not even compare in our opinion."

Pooch: "Metallica releases a FOH board mix of their shows. This is the mix that the mixer (like me) makes for the show heard by the audience. There is no remixing involved, and is therefore very RAW. (You have obviously heard the difference in quality). ArThe hours spent on my end with Linkin Park are really to refine the performance and provide the best sounding product possible. So you walk a fine line between producing a really LIVE sounding product, and producing something that people are going to want to listen to for years to come. I think the extra time spent is worth it. And the extra time the fans have to wait for the release versus the quality of something that you are going to listen to for a long time to come, is worth it ten fold. I believe in my heart that the product we release is a better one, and therefore better for the fans."

I agree with Pooch. Every DSP I have sounds great and he keeps it unedited. On the Nashville 2008 show, Chester messed up Valentine's Day. It wasn't reworded or edited in anyway and it sounded perfect. I'll wait for it.

But that's not always the case. There's been a case where Charlotte 2007 had the exact same audio file for Breaking The Habit as a Texas show. They commonly fix problems by the band...see New Divide at Grafen in 2009. NOT fixing them is actually kinda rare.

But that's not always the case. There's been a case where Charlotte 2007 had the exact same audio file for Breaking The Habit as a Texas show. They commonly fix problems by the band...see New Divide at Grafen in 2009. NOT fixing them is actually kinda rare.

Shit. That sucks. Then Metallica's way is kinda better. You get a 100% true performance Soundboard Rip. That's a better way to relive it and remember it later down the road.

Shit. That sucks. Then Metallica's way is kinda better. You get a 100% true performance Soundboard Rip. That's a better way to relive it and remember it later down the road.

I agree with you... 30 days is way too long of a wait anyways.

and if anything they offer TEH FLAC for you audiophiles. But i love both metallica and LP dsps they always sound great. :) You wanna hear a poorly mixed audio? Listen to Kanye's official "live tracks" lol they sound so horrible lol