LP going soft (partly) because of Chester?

GraDoN

Might just be me, but i think part of the reason why lp is going soft is chester. We all know he is great in the studio but not that good live. I know he did a couple of awesome Given Up's live, but he struggles a lot live with some of the hard songs. I mean whenever they wrinte music they have to consider the live aspect for obvious reasons (donno how mike will sing in almost every song but thats another story) and it seems chesters inability to scream his heart out song after song is hampering it.

Am i wrong?

I dont mind them going soft but my favourite 'soft' LP songs are: my december and she couldn't both pre-HT. They dont make awesomeness like that anymore.

I think it just depends on their tastes. They wrote some of HT when they were teenagers and they probably liked harder stuff back then. Now they are getting older, and they prefer more calm sounding music. I don't think it has anything to do with Chester, he can still pull it off and Blackout is a great example of that.

IMO, the fact LP has gone very soft is mainly due to Mike's music tastes at the moment, but other part of the reason could be Chester's voice, indeed. Seriously, do you guys really think Chester could still scream and sing with agressive voice on 10-12 tracks on a single record? I don't. Yes, he's still able to do it on a couple of songs, but that's all.

I don't think the musical style and Chester's voice are directly linked, other than the way Chester goes about singing certain parts. I think the most telling evidence of this is the Dead By Sunrise album - there are a lot of higher-pitched parts on that record that about 6 or 7 years ago, there's no question Chester would've sung with his classic HT/Meteora era raspy tone. He hasn't lost the ability to sing that way, but I think he's a lot more careful about picking and choosing when to do it these days.

The argument could go in any direction. But LP could always take into account that they don't have to perform every song from a new album live. If there's a song that's too much for Chester's voice or if it's layered with too many effects, instruments, or whatever else is going on ad they don't feel it could properly be pulled off live or loses it's magic, than it's okay to leave that track alone. There are countless bands out there including some of the best of all time that have never performed a lot of their songs.

no offence but I highly doubt its because of Chester. Its the Music that the band makes. Its teamwork not an individual. All 6 heads (and ruban) come together and make the music as a team. If it was all because of Chester then it should be "Chester Bennington Present A Thousand Suns featuring Linkin Park" (Just joking we all know its Mikes Album :P)

But also the same thing applies for Dead By Sunrise. There's still some heavy as shit on that album.

That's definitely NOT the reason why. The band likes to make all different kinds of music. If they just made an album consisting of mostly screaming, it wouldn't be unique and they would get heaps of criticism. The screaming in Blackout is very easy, I can nail it every single time I sing along. Believe me, Chester can still scream with ease. It's just they like to make different music.

That's definitely NOT the reason why. The band likes to make all different kinds of music. If they just made an album consisting of mostly screaming, it wouldn't be unique and they would get heaps of criticism. The screaming in Blackout is very easy, I can nail it every single time I sing along. Believe me, Chester can still scream with ease. It's just they like to make different music.

I wish I could believe that you could pull that off.. Show me :D