Radio Edits

Ashwhisker

I have a couple questions about radio edits of songs.

The radio edit of Let Down. What's the difference between it and the album version?

I've also heard people talking about a Radio Edit of New Divide, what promo CDs is it on and what's the difference?

And then we have SOTD, Given Up, and BIO radio edits, are there any other radio edits I don't know about? thanks.

the difference in Let Down Radio Edit is: shorter solo part... the solo in radio edit starts when there's chester 's vocal on album version so there's missing about a half of amir's solo... I haven't heard about New Divide Edit yet..

There's It's Goin' Down and the rock version of One Step Closer, which omits the scratching because some radio stations weren't into that idea. In regards to SOTD and other songs, most of the singles/promos lack the album song transitions (eg. LOATR doesn't have the footsteps that leads into BIO, PMA remix doesn't have the wind sound from P4MH at the end, etc.)

Ive actually heard a few radios cut out the 2nd solo in SOTD but it would be there own job not released by LP

Yep, I've heard these versions as well. I hate it when radio stations cut songs by themselves. Always pisses me off because usually the song is already short enough to be played in full on the radio! And I'm a sucker for guitar solos, so of course it sucks if they are cut out!

New Divide censors the "black skies" part because it's considered racist.

What the fuck... This is ridiculous *lol*

Lol that can't be true, surely??? xD

Anyway, I hate most radio edits. Cutting out great parts of song just cause its 'not short enough. I mean, the deal with "let down" and the removal of half the solo!? Why not shorten the outro/fadeout instead!?

The worst case of this probably goes to "Given Up" where they completly REMOVED the bridge of the song. No awesome guitar breakdown, no "put me out of my misery". All gone! It's not right to butcher a song like that. Seriously.

Edited by Bennington_Hahn

There are radio edits of most LP-related singles, the majority of them just vary so little that it's hard to notice.

One Step Closer radio edit - Lacks the feedback noise at the beginning that continues from the end of Papercut on the album version.

Somewhere I Belong radio edit - Lacks the transition from the end of Don't Stay.

Breaking the Habit radio edit - The album version starts with the explosion, the radio edit has a small fade-in before the explosion.

What I've Done radio edit - Lacks the transition from the end of Shadow of the Day (the last keyboard chord doesn't overlap the guitar feedback).

And there are numerous others. The aforementioned New Divide radio edit cuts out most of the instrumental breakdown between the second chorus and bridge, I'm not sure if I've seen any promo CDs with it but I've heard it played on multiple radio stations.

Yep, I've heard these versions as well. I hate it when radio stations cut songs by themselves. Always pisses me off because usually the song is already short enough to be played in full on the radio! And I'm a sucker for guitar solos, so of course it sucks if they are cut out!

Also one thing that shits me so bad is when they speed up the song. Like shadow speed up just sounds shit. even tho its like a small increase, it stands out. Today FM down here in sydney do it all the time.

The worst thing I've ever heard is the MTV/radio cut for Bullet For My Valentine's song "Tears Don't Fall"... They completely replaced all of the screamed passages with cleanly sung passages... I was like: WTF! I mean, for me this is a heavy intervention into their art. I just can't understand why artists let labels or radio stations do this or why they even agree to edit passages just to make it more radio-friendly. If it's just because the contract says so or because of the money... then it is a poor activity by any party involved!

Edited by immortalsoul