The Rosewood Fall - Discussion

Ashwhisker

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://web.archive.org/web/20051119180148/...iew-050109.html

Here's an interview they did in 2005. I'm really liking their sound, its solid but fun

EDIT:

January EP, Machine Shop Demos, November Demos, and "Out Out" still do not have album art because they weren't official releases. Sorry about that. Nothing I can do because I don't believe in making fake album art for things like that. You can if you want to.

I may have found the original source for Out Out and Gage Park

Phoenix - Westmont College Music Archive

These could be the sources for those two tracks, or at least Out Out, which was just tacked onto the end of Stereo: Left/Right

Cheers for completing the discography. Is it all possible to make a torrent of the Live Video?

Thanks again

Edited by bullettrain

• 2 weeks later...

Whoa, now that was unexpected. The archive will be updated with the new cover art and also the audio rip of the show, which I neglected to add when it was posted. Thank you very much, bullettrain, for the find, and Skipees for the higher resolution art. I messed with the URLs and found the high-res art for the 1999-2000 compilation, too:

Posted Image

Edited by SomedudeRemix

It looks like only a couple of other bits and pieces of info can be dug out of the Phoenix Archive.

1. Gage Park was released before Out Out, likely meaning that Gage Park is the oldest TRF Song around.

2. In the CD inserts for the 2000-2001 CD, you can just make out the names of the other members of TRF at the time.

Ben Holsteen: Vocals and Guitar

Pat Otellini: Guitar

Eric Palmquist: Bass

Chase Reeves: Drums

It could then be said that the "two other guys that both met mysterious ends" were Pat and Chase

Pat's end was no so mysterious "Patrick Otellini, ‘02, has been appointed by San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee to be the Director of the City's new Earthquake Safety Implementation Program which will help the city's aging structures prepare for a major seismic event by creating both voluntary and mandatory programs for seismic retrofits."

Chase's end was. EDIT: Maybe not..

That's all I got.

It's a fantastic archive as it is now, is there anything else that could be added to it?

There were the Myspace publicity photos, and then a couple of random interviews here and there. And then I guess that would be it for now.

Edited by bullettrain

in the Phoenix Archive everything is possible to download except The Rosewood Fall :huh:.

so i did a little research, and found the original mp3 rips from this site. don't get excited they sound the same (to me at least). i changed the tags and add the covers - Download.

I messed with the URLs and found the high-res art for the 1999-2000 compilation, too:

http://phoenix.westmont.edu/music/99-00/cover_800.jpg

i didn't notice they are in the second cd too, so i edited my last comment. Edited by Skipees

Thank you guys for uploading all this stuff. Too bad we can't get better quality versions of the pictures of the insert and the CD of The Phoenix CDs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the Machine Shop Demos folder we have this:

01 Where's Your Man

02 Game You Can't Win DEMO

02 If Your Friend Was Drowning...

03 Rediscovering Omaha

04 Sick Nationalistic

05 Headlight

But the songs are tagged like this:

02 Game You Can't Win DEMO

03 Rediscovering Omaha

04 Sick Nationalistic

05 Headlight

06 Where's Your Man

07 If Your Friend Was Drowning...

I'm assuming this is the right order of the tracks. But where is track 1? Does anybody knows what song is missing? (maybe something we already have in another folder?)

Uh, I think that was a quirk of deleting dupes. I can guarantee there are no missing songs; I re-tagged all of these around 11 pm the night I did them, so I might have messed up the numbering and no one noticed until now. But, as I said before, the archive is guaranteed to have every song - there is no track 1 for the Machine Shop demos.

Really, the numbering for the demos seems pretty arbitrary - there's no flow present, and as far as I know these demos were never officially released anyway.

Good find.

Not sure if I am oblivious to what's in this download or if I missed this before but are these songs in the DL here? I just want to make sure we have everything covered.

The Rosewood Fall - Big Bear Demos

01. Hush

(and then 2 and 3 are The Beginning To An Ending and Last Lullaby)

I also have in another folder:

- A Beginning To An Ending (Plugged In Version)

- A Beginning To An Ending (Acoustic)

- Black Market Love (with a tag that says "LAST SONG EVER")

- Hiding Too Long

Nope, those are completely new to all versions of the updated archive. Is it possible for you to:

1. Upload all the tracks so the archive can be re-updated, and

2. Provide any new info on those tracks?

Edited by bullettrain

Looking back at the original LPA dump, it looks like all of those files are there, but not in v1.3.

The only song that looks like it's there is "A Beginning To An Ending (Acoustic)" as track 12 of Stereo:Left

Any thoughts why these tracks were missed?

The Rosewood Fall - Big Bear Demos

01. Hush

(and then 2 and 3 are The Beginning To An Ending and Last Lullaby)

"A Beginning To An Ending (Plugged)"?

I also have in another folder:

- A Beginning To An Ending (Plugged In Version)

- A Beginning To An Ending (Acoustic)

- Black Market Love (with a tag that says "LAST SONG EVER")

- Hiding Too Long

Can you tell me the name of the folder(s)?

Edit:

@Energy is it possible for you to upload CD rips of Demonstrate and Stereo Left/Right in flac or 320kbps?

Edited by lpliveusername

The folder names were from the original LPA dump. What happened was I just ran across the original LPA .zip on my computer from 2009 (!) and decided to take a look. I think a few of them are missing from this download.

The first one was "Big Bear Demos" and the second one was "Acoustic And Rare". I can upload anything you need. Just tell me exactly what is missing. And yes, It's A Beginning To an Ending (Plugged).

Hello children.

Don't forget that when I put the original archive together, I was using files provided by Hahninator specifically because I couldn't find the original LPA archive, or any addendums to it. That, of course, isn't intended to put the blame on Hahninator - just an explanation for why these tracks would be missing.

Hush, Black Market Love, Hiding Too Long, and Beginning (Plugged) will be added to the archive tonight. Sorry for the delay - I saw this last night, but decided to wait until today to do anything about it so more people would see.

With this, we'll hopefully have everything that has been discovered so far in this archive. Thanks, Skipees, for providing the download.

Release 1.4 of The Complete Rosewood Fall is now available in the main post (link in my signature).

Hiding Too Long and Black Market Love are super-rough acoustic demos - you can ever hear the pages being turned in Black Market Love. The plugged in version of Beginning has less impact for me than the acoustic version - I don't know what it is that's making me think that. Hush isn't anything special. They're also all quieter than the official releases, which never fails to annoy the fuck out of me.

Now then, release 1.5 is coming up, and .5 releases generally denote big shake-ups, so I have a proposal for all of you:

The Complete Rosewood Fall, in its current incarnation, consists of nine albums. Two of those are Demonstrate and Stereo, one is the Sampler, and one is the live album. That leaves five demo albums, nearly all of which consist of no more than two tracks each. I preserved these track listings for the sake of authenticity according to the original LPA release, but I think perhaps we can do a space-saving thing here and put all the demos together under one album title. That would be the Big Bear Demos, Machine Shop Demos, January EP, November Demos, and the Unsorted Demos. I'd put the original album sources in the Comments section in iTunes to preserve them, but otherwise the tracks would all be sorted under a generic "Demos" album. Would any of you prefer that for release 1.5?

That's a great idea for the rest of the songs. I actually did that with the initial ones in iTunes, putting them under one title for convenience and sorting. Chronological sounds the way to go, though 'Out Out' doesn't sound like an opening track to me. I'd recommend 'You Can't Stop Me' as the opener and possibly puting 'Out Out' as the final track of the compilation/collection, as it was on the 2000-2001 Phoenix CD, but that's just my opinion on it.

In the current track list, Out Out is still attached to the end of Stereo, just because. If you guys think that should be changed, then I'll retool the demos list. Out Out struck me as a finished track anyway.

The current Demo tracklist is the following, in (approximate) chronological order:

1. Game You Can't Win DEMO

2. Rediscovering Omaha [Machine Shop Demo]

3. Sick Nationalistic [Machine Shop Demo]

4. Headlight

5. Where's Your Man

6. If Your Friend Was Drowning...

7. Hush

8. A Beginning to an Ending [Plugged]

9. Disco Voltaire

10. All of the In Betweens

11. You Can't Stop Me

12. Hiding Too Long

13. Black Market Love

1-6 are the Machine Shop Demos, 7-8 are the Big Bear Demos, 9-10 are the November Demos, 11 is the January EP, and the last two are the unsorted final demos.

1. Game You Can't Win DEMO

2. Rediscovering Omaha [Machine Shop Demo]

3. Sick Nationalistic [Machine Shop Demo]

4. Headlight

5. Where's Your Man

6. If Your Friend Was Drowning...

7. Hush

8. A Beginning to an Ending [Plugged]

9. Disco Voltaire

10. All of the In Betweens

11. You Can't Stop Me

12. Hiding Too Long

13. Black Market Love

this is really comfortable that way, great job.