The Rosewood Fall - Discussion

Ashwhisker

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh damn it, I forgot about Rapidshare changing the permissions. I'll fix that now.

In regards to Bitter Pill and Again, were they released in LPA's dump? If so, I might have accidentally pulled them out because I didn't hear any significant differences. I'll check once I'm back on my main computer tonight.

Edited by SomedudeRemix

18 - Driving Salinas (First Ever Practice) - broken link.

The band practice track should be fixed now. The filename had an ! in it, for some reason lplive's forum didn't like this.

Oh damn it, I forgot about Rapidshare changing the permissions. I'll fix that now.

In regards to Bitter Pill and Again, were they released in LPA's dump? If so, I might have accidentally pulled them out because I didn't hear any significant differences. I'll check once I'm back on my main computer tonight.

I don't know if they are... I'm not sure if I still have the original mp3 files, but I do have them burned on an audio CD. They're good quality - bitter pill is the easiest to tell.

Also I emailed the Lead singer Ben today! :) Mentioned the two tracks I'm missing and also asked are there any live shows that were ever recorded... :)

If you could rip the audio from the CD and post it, that'd be awesome, to see if it's stuff we already have.

A live show would be a great addition to the zip, too. Really, thanks again for helping me so much with this. I'm glad I rediscovered them - they're really talented.

Could you ask him about The Red Disaster, by the way? I'm just really curious about it.

EDIT AGAIN: V. 1.1 of The Complete Rosewood Fall has been released.

Edited by SomedudeRemix

If you could rip the audio from the CD and post it, that'd be awesome, to see if it's stuff we already have.

A live show would be a great addition to the zip, too. Really, thanks again for helping me so much with this. I'm glad I rediscovered them - they're really talented.

Could you ask him about The Red Disaster, by the way? I'm just really curious about it.

EDIT AGAIN: V. 1.1 of The Complete Rosewood Fall has been released.

I'll rip the CD tonight then you can throw them in your ZIP.

Yeah I would love to hear a live show as I never got to hear them live. He's not responded yet, but seems Jim's website has gone awol and he was the one who gave the LPA zip.

I'll ask him about it - to my understanding they're just recording sessions with album name concept ideas.

-------------

CD RIP - 3 Track TRF Promo

Wow thanks so much for Out Out and the track descriptions. The descriptions are really good....so much insight into the songs.

TRF is such an underrated band. I have about 20 tracks from them that I listen to a LOT but I don't ever listen to stuff like Recycled Air or a few of the other songs. After reading the descriptions I was able to "rediscover" some of them and I was like ...damn I'm really missing out on some quality stuff. I also had never listened to the "second chorus version" of Below Your Window.

And the descriptions gave a lot of good info about their live shows (they mentioned a good bit what songs they played). Thanks Energy for everything you've done for us in regards to this band over the years (especially now with the help with the tracks) and to SomedudeRemix for all the work in compiling all of this.

An interesting fact is that they talk about the cabin in Big Bear, California where they went to escape city life and to record/write songs. The "9 days of terror" fugitive Chris Dorner that has been so popular in the LA area lately was just burned to a crisp in a cabin in...you guessed it....Big Bear. I wonder how far away their cabin was from the one where Dorner was.

I think we should add the promo CD with Bitter Pill (Demo) / Driving Salinas / Again (Demo) to the .zip if it isn't already there. I just downloaded it from Energy's link.

The "train passing transition" would be cool to hear someday if it ever surfaced. And the radio edit of NYC Blackout.

I made an 18 song playlist one day that I have in my car and it's based on what I would have liked to see them play a full headline show with (lol just being imaginative).

This Is My Ruin, Again (second favorite song), Break Out, God Bless, Bridges Under Water, Bitter Pill (favorite song by them), If Your Friend Was Drowning..., NYC Blackout, Awake All You Who Slumber, Grace, Driving Salinas, Midnight On Horatio Street, 25 Years, Below Your Window. And the 3 songs for an "encore" would be The Game You Can't Win, Gage Park and Saturnine. lol and then they admit the hate for Saturnine in the tracklisting. But yeah that's what I jam to by them quite a bit.

The zip has been updated to 1.2, with the sampler added (converted to mp3 instead of using the FLAC files). Also, I'm going to upload Demonstrate, the sampler and Stereo Left/Right independently of the collection, as well as the miscellaneous tracks in one zip.

Edited by SomedudeRemix

The zip has been updated to 1.2, with the sampler added (converted to mp3 instead of using the FLAC files). Also, I'm going to upload Demonstrate, the sampler and Stereo Left/Right independently of the collection, as well as the miscellaneous tracks in one zip.

you updated the "Sampler", but you don't have the right files yet. Bitter Pill & Again should be the demo versions, not the originals ones.

you updated the "Sampler", but you don't have the right files yet. Bitter Pill & Again should be the demo versions, not the originals ones.

That's the point - they're the exact same files we have. Those are direct from Energy's link - download them yourself if you want. The sampler is a good way to get people to listen to the band without shoving Stereo down their throats.

They should be different. Will check later but their isn't huge differences. They were remastered for demonstrate and a new guitar was added for bitter pill. Really only for completists.

All I heard, personally, was that the tracks were all quieter, though that was a consequence of the conversion from FLAC to mp3. Really, in retrospect, the sampler is just that - a sampler. No huge changes to any of the songs. I still appreciate you uploading it for us, however.

All I heard, personally, was that the tracks were all quieter, though that was a consequence of the conversion from FLAC to mp3. Really, in retrospect, the sampler is just that - a sampler. No huge changes to any of the songs. I still appreciate you uploading it for us, however.

They're close... very close but they are different (closer than I remember but heck the fans really debated over which version they preferred). Load up the two versions of Bitter Pill and go to the 44 second mark on both. As the chorus ends and the new verse begins listen to the little guitar that accents at the 47 seconds. In the original version it just does one accent a pause then a muted version of the accent. In the demonstrate version the mix hides partially the first accent and then the second one is louder and finishes with some feedback.

Put some headphones on and listen to the verses, the vocals on the demonstrate version have more reverb.

There are lots of little differences throughout though most of them are just down to the remaster. There are extra guitar parts flecked throughout.

I think Again is purely a remaster - with the levels played with. Not 100% sure but I'm not noticing any major differences.

The volume differences of the copies you have do make it harder - but I promise they are different ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Exciting update!

I've just heard from Benjamin, the lead singer of TRF.

First I'll get the not so exciting out the way:

• The "Little One/Big Gun" track is an early version of This is my ruin, so nothing we're missing. I had suspected this as the two descriptions of this track were similar, but different enough to suspect different tracks.

• The Benjamin doesn't know anything about the train demo CD I remember, says it's either something figment from the past or was done without his knowledge (both are possible).

• He says this about NYC radio edit As far as I know, the radio edit of NYC Blackout has been lost to the sands of time, but I'll do a bit of checking around to see if any of the other guys have it. If not, you're not missing out on to much. The edit was really just cutting the song off after the big verse and before the big outro, so it dropped down to one guitar and vocal, as does the original version, when I sang: "Think it's time I find a hiding place/Think it's time I finally slip away…" and ended on the word away. No band coming back in. No build up to the big payoff. Far inferior version, in my humble opinion, but nonetheless, I will try and track it down, and if I can, it's yours. - If he sends it I'll post it. He encouranges our continued sharing! :)

Now for the most exciting - I asked about getting a live recording... I'll let you read this in Benjamin's own words.

"As it happens, a few years back, Joel sent all of us a video he had unearthed of a show we played very shortly after Demonstrate was recorded. It's not the greets audio quality and we were not at the height of our live prowess as we'd just come out of the studio and hadn't been playing out for a while, but it does include a cover version of the song "Hyperballad" by Bjork that was always a live favorite of mine, as well as most of the songs on Demonstrate. I'll upload it to youtube in the next few days and send you a link so you can share away."

So we should soon have the first and likely only gig recording of TRF very shortly... I'll post as soon as I get a link!

Benjamin is working on a new solo album and he plans on releasing it later this year and he's said he'll share some music with me if I'm interested so I think it would be cool to keep an ear out...

• 2 weeks later...

I present to you...

Tracklist

01. The Game You Can't Win

02. Bridges Under Water

03. Bitter Pill

04. Sick Nationalistic

05. NYC Blackout

06. Hyperballard (Bjork Cover)

07. This Is My Ruin

08. Again

That's a quick tracklisting I've thrown up. Literlly I've had this minutes and I'm about to head out. But this is awesome. The recording is very high in gain, but it's listenable and probably the only TRF live recording we'll get. Huge thanks to Benjamin for it!!!!!!

:D

Very, very nice. Just got done watching it, tracklist is accurate. I'll add a link to the main post, and if anyone wants to rip the audio then go ahead.

EDIT: YouTube link added to the main post, also linked to Energy's post for the tracklist. The band mentions that they're selling a sampler of music recorded in December - perhaps that's the January EP, which I think would be enough to consider it an official release. Unless that was the fan-made sampler, in which case we already have it. Hm. Another mystery, I suppose.

Edited by SomedudeRemix

Thanks Energy :) . so now we can say we got all from what is possible to achieve?

I think we're at a point that there is very little that could possibly surface. There is an edit of NYC blackout and I suppose a small chance of new lives surfacing... But really this kinda completes things.

EDIT: YouTube link added to the main post, also linked to Energy's post for the tracklist. The band mentions that they're selling a sampler of music recorded in December - perhaps that's the January EP, which I think would be enough to consider it an official release. Unless that was the fan-made sampler, in which case we already have it. Hm. Another mystery, I suppose.

I can ask but it's possible he won't remember. It won't be the fan made sampler. Just a tour ep of some description. The tracks will be on left or right.