Donations

hahninator

they don't have to! you can download without an account. it's bit slower and you can't download multiple files (you have to wait 15 minutes). still would've been perfect for stuff like "she couldn't".

just a heads-up ;)

Agreed. She Couldn't would have been perfectly suited for Rapidshare download. Some other things (lossless audio from full shows, DVDs) become a pain when you've got to download many large rar archives on a free account and most people these days abide by the 'I want it and I want it now' rule on the internet. Even I don't have the pateince to download 43 separate rar files for a DVD and then unzip them at the same time (and that's even with a premium account!) :P

I thought we had She Couldn't up in direct mp3 as well as Rapidshare/MegaUpload? lol

And I agree with Nick. When I bought the 8 track promo CD, it was a personal acquisition first (like: DAMN I want that CD!) and then: Hell yes the best LPL exclusive yet.

I don't want to get into a war or anything with someone like if someone donated the most or something. HOWEVER, we can still do REALLY COOL giveaways to donators. Twice a month we can hold a raffle for donators and give out cool items. If you've donated, you can see the new raffle item and choose if you want your name in the raffle for it or not. We can do stuff like promos and some cool items. I think that'd be a good idea perhaps?

I hate ad's!

But I'm ready to donate a little bit. As long as I can be sure that my money goes to the right persons (you know what I mean ^^) But I trust and totally understand you.

You give us so many things...time to give something back!

The donations are a good idea, as long there's a save credit card (paypal?) system. That would be important for me ;-)

PayPal would likely be the primary donation method, unless you happen to be at a show Mark is attending and can give him cash. :lol:

We can give any donaters a nice user title and color on the forum so they can be noted as a donater. We can also have different donater ranks, just like we do on the forum with users and post counts. When there is a donater, they can be in a totally different rank group and the more they donate, the higher up the ranks they get.

Maybe we can think of something that these ranks would be good for. We can have a hidden board exclusively for these people who donate and maybe we can provide some extra content of some sort to this group of people.

ADDED: Would be a good idea to have direct downloads provided to those who have donated to the site, and other users can download through torrents and rapidshares.

Edited by Legend

We can give any donaters a nice user title and color on the forum so they can be noted as a donater. We can also have different donater ranks, just like we do on the forum with users and post counts. When there is a donater, they can be in a totally different rank group and the more they donate, the higher up the ranks they get.

Maybe we can think of something that these ranks would be good for. We can have a hidden board exclusively for these people who donate and maybe we can provide some extra content of some sort to this group of people.

ADDED: Would be a good idea to have direct downloads provided to those who have donated to the site, and other users can download through torrents and rapidshares.

I think it's dangerous for the community to have direct links/extra content as a motivation to get donations. There's the risc to create a "2 class" fan community.

Yeah... A "extra" for donator is not necessary. The donation is a support to a site we love. Not for extra extras.... or to get mentioned.....

At the very least, we'll be identifying donators in one way or another. Just like we've given Contributors special status on the forums (those whose usernames show up as orange), those who donate money would be identified.

I don't want to get into a war or anything with someone like if someone donated the most or something. HOWEVER, we can still do REALLY COOL giveaways to donators. Twice a month we can hold a raffle for donators and give out cool items. If you've donated, you can see the new raffle item and choose if you want your name in the raffle for it or not. We can do stuff like promos and some cool items. I think that'd be a good idea perhaps?

To be honest, I don't think the giveaway thing is a good idea. And this is coming from someone who would be the first to donate if you could. If you make the donators "exclusive" like most sites do, it would give an unfair incentive to donate, and the people who couldn't donate for reasons beyond their control, even though they wanted to, would be left out. To be honest, I'd be the happiest if nothing changes when you donate about yourself, or perhaps you get a custom title or your forum name in blue or something like that, but nothing too big. I know, this sounds strange, and most people probably think it's a good idea, but to me, I don't want to cheapen something like donating. Or perhaps I'm wrong and just taking things too seriously. Who knows.

Just my two cents.

To be honest, I don't think the giveaway thing is a good idea. And this is coming from someone who would be the first to donate if you could. If you make the donators "exclusive" like most sites do, it would give an unfair incentive to donate, and the people who couldn't donate for reasons beyond their control, even though they wanted to, would be left out. To be honest, I'd be the happiest if nothing changes when you donate about yourself, or perhaps you get a custom title or your forum name in blue or something like that, but nothing too big. I know, this sounds strange, and most people probably think it's a good idea, but to me, I don't want to cheapen something like donating. Or perhaps I'm wrong and just taking things too seriously. Who knows.

Just my two cents.

Yes, I totally agree!!!

The way i see it you should have a link for whoever wants to donate.

Have a little breakdown of how the donatations are used. Have no extra incentives for donaters, people can donate out of the own goodness of their hearts lol. just see how well this goes down and if you ever need to then have a few incentives in the future?

im just wondering how come all the staff seem to be against using ads?

I totally support this idea and I'd love to donate. But also why not throw some unobtrusive Google Ads on the page? As long as it doesn't cause any problems I don't see why not?

The way i see it you should have a link for whoever wants to donate.

Have a little breakdown of how the donatations are used. Have no extra incentives for donaters, people can donate out of the own goodness of their hearts lol. just see how well this goes down and if you ever need to then have a few incentives in the future?

im just wondering how come all the staff seem to be against using ads?

i also think the ads thing is a good idea depending of what kind of ads. as a example google ads, it's good and dont bother too much when you open a website :lol: the only thing that you need to win money is getting the links clicked. a los of people would do it every day for the site ^^

throw the mid sized stuff (<1gb) up on rapidshare. apart from what a certain person had to moan about it, it's very fast and with an account even faster! many sites with bandwidth issues use it and it might save a lot of money.

people should rather invest in an rapidshare account (about 10$ a month) than spending it to the site. it will take of a good bit of weight from your pockets and might solve the problem. plus, when lplive uses an account to upload stuff, the more people download files off of it, so you get points that you can use to extend the sites account.

I wish I would have had Internet while I was on vacation so I didn't have to reply to a week-old post like this, but whatever.

Do you work for Rapidshare or something? I can't believe you actually expect people to pay money for the same kind of service they can get from Megaupload or 4shared completely free. I don't have anything personal against Rapidshare, but I still don't see any benefit of using it over any other public download/filesharing service of its type. And in terms of the free version of Rapidshare's service, it's hands down at the bottom of the barrel compared to its competitors because of the ridiculous limit of 10 downloads per file. No other service of its type has anything remotely close to that kind of restriction on its free service, so why bother with it?

You don't get anything good out of Rapidshare without spending money on it, but you can get good results from some of its competitors without spending a dime, is the point I'm trying to make.