Lack of Chester Tribute

LPLStaff

Just wanted to get some opinions on the band not having a moment for Chester in the set. It appears Lost could be that moment, but it is a little shocking the band doesn't mention him in general for a tribute moment or dedicate a song to him in the concert.

After three shows (two full shows), it seems deliberate.

Any thoughts?

I expected some "duet" like Reznor did with "I Can't Give Everything Away" in 2018 (D. Bowie song btw.) and it was really nice and touching way to remember a soulmate. Lack of Chester tribute seems kinda weird to me, even the Inception Intro C BID part has only distorted CB's voice. It really seems like they don't want look back at all.

42 minutes ago, LPLStaff said:

Just wanted to get some opinions on the band not having a moment for Chester in the set. It appears Lost could be that moment, but it is a little shocking the band doesn't mention him in general for a tribute moment or dedicate a song to him in the concert.

After three shows (two full shows), it seems deliberate.

Any thoughts?

i think the moment LP closed the secret show is the last Chester's tribute they will do, as they have to start going forward. If during every concert they keep on mentioning it's a tribute, it's going to downplay the whole setlist. Maybe Lost is indeed the last tribute they will do. For the Intro, I do agree that it's better to do a distorted vocal, as they don't want people to compare Emily to him. 

It's the same situation as how A7X plays So Far Away as tribute to the Rev every time, it might be Lost is the song that they perform for him.

Let's see how it goes at the next concert.

I couldn't agree more with the band.

We already had that tribute as an album, Post Traumatic, and its subsequent tour. Yes, I know that it was a Mike solo thing, but the other members grieved their own way. Grieving gets tiresome, even though you miss that person, eventually it gets to a point where you just want to move ahead and live your life. A Chester tribute at the shows doesn't let you move forward, and it's depressing. If they had waited so long to come back, it's to heal their wounds properly. Look what happened to bands like Metallica and Slipknot, the sorrow deteriorated the relationship between members. 

This tour is about celebrating life, a new beginning. They're happier than they've even been in a long time. Why ruin that, even if it's just for a moment, making your new singer remember that she's filling the shoes of a dead man?

"But the fans..." It's been 7 fucking years, move on. If the closest people to him have found peace with his absence, I think we could too. Don't feed the parasocial relationship anymore.

I think that its enough when they said

"in the role of Chester Bennington, you"

BUT

I would be totally disappointed and leave the band as a fan if they have a show in his birthday or the day he passed away and they dont do some kind of tribute.

That would be like the perfect moment to play One More Light or another Chester track in his honor.

13 hours ago, bloodbath said:

Look what happened to bands like Metallica and Slipknot, the sorrow deteriorated the relationship between members. 

Can we say for certain that didn't happen with Rob?

Metallica did Anesthesia as a tribute to Cliff for eons, as recently as the Hardwired Tour. 

It just seems odd when bands like Alice in Chains, etc do a tribute quite often. This was the first run of LP shows back, just surprised at no OML or a song for Chester. Even dedicating BTH to him which Mike was unsure they'd ever even play again.

We already had that tribute as an album, Post Traumatic, and its subsequent tour. Yes, I know that it was a Mike solo thing, but the other members grieved their own way. Grieving gets tiresome, even though you miss that person, eventually it gets to a point where you just want to move ahead and live your life. A Chester tribute at the shows doesn't let you move forward, and it's depressing. If they had waited so long to come back, it's to heal their wounds properly. Look what happened to bands like Metallica and Slipknot, the sorrow deteriorated the relationship between members. 

This tour is about celebrating life, a new beginning. They're happier than they've even been in a long time. Why ruin that, even if it's just for a moment, making your new singer remember that she's filling the shoes of a dead man?

"But the fans..." It's been 7 fucking years, move on. If the closest people to him have found peace with his absence, I think we could too. Don't feed the parasocial relationship anymore.

I have more or less the same opinion.

I think one or two shootout throughout the show, as the band is currently doing, is just fine. Once you have reached the final stage of grief, the only way ahead is looking forward. Constant tributes would loose a bit of their meaning, could break the mood of the shows, and could become uncomfortable. Personally, I'd prefer not to be reminded too often that Chester is no longer with us. That's how I feel about it, I understand others may view it differently. 

On the other hand, for special occasions such as a birthdays, sure. I'd just prefer those tribute moments to remain rare and if the context calls for it.

Edited by Qwerty18

Very well said! I would say something else but you said it so well that I don’t even have a response other than I agree 100%. 

20 hours ago, JZLP-RoadsUntraveled said:

I think that its enough when they said

"in the role of Chester Bennington, you"

BUT

I would be totally disappointed and leave the band as a fan if they have a show in his birthday or the day he passed away and they dont do some kind of tribute.

That would be like the perfect moment to play One More Light or another Chester track in his honor.

I think his birthday would be a far more likely place for a direct tribute, as in taking time out of the set to talk about him for an extended period of time or play OML. I remember one year Mike posted something on 7/20 and said that he doesn’t want that date to become the day we celebrate Chester, and that he’d rather it be 3/20 instead. Celebrating his birthday as a way to celebrate his life makes sense.

As far as not currently having a tribute in the set beyond “In the role of Chester Bennington: All of you,” I wouldn’t ask why they aren’t doing something. I’d instead ask for a suggestion on what they’d do and when?

I think it’d be really emotionally taxing to play OML every night, for example. Same as a montage or anything else. It would either be too hard emotionally, or maybe they don’t want the alternative either where it becomes just another part of the set, part of the routine, and loses all emotional impact.

The band has grieved and has had 7 years to process their loss and reach acceptance. It’s possible that an extended tribute every set would be bringing them back to the dark place they were in after they lost him and they may just not want to put themselves through that every night.

I think Mike mentioning Chester at the top of every show and saying the audience is his voice is a good balance of paying tribute while not bringing the vibe and energy too far down.

I agree that with the Hollywood Bowl Show, The Post Traumatic album and Tour and the releases of Lost and Friendly Fire they did more than enough to pay tribute.

At the same time, if they just do it because they feel like they have to, I think you might feel that it is forced. 

Apart from that I also noticed that Mike does not seem to feel really comfortable talking about Chester anymore. The way he kinda dodged the question during the Interview with Fallon seemed very avoidant to me. I am not saying that Mike doesn't care by this. 

Watching countless of interviews throughout the years I just suppose that Mike is just not the kind of guy who likes to talk about deep emotions in public but rather keeps them private and uses music to channel them. I remember when he even said that due to his Japanese background he was in a way raised like that. He also stated that he is not a big cryer at least twice.

Chester was drastically different from that, almost an oversharer. In some interviews the two did together these two poles were very apparent to me. 

With that said, as Mike is one in charge talking to the audience, the fact that he doesn't adress Chester directly when talking to the crowd by no means indicates that he does not care and just wants to act like nothing happened. It is just in line with his personality I suppose. 

I definitely think the PT album was a big step for Mike, as was the entire PT tour and his performance of LFAA.

He made himself more vulnerable than he may have been comfortable with because he knew that fans were hurting too and he wanted to let them know that they weren’t alone.

1 hour ago, Justin said:

I definitely think the PT album was a big step for Mike, as was the entire PT tour and his performance of LFAA.

He made himself more vulnerable than he may have been comfortable with because he knew that fans were hurting too and he wanted to let them know that they weren’t alone.

Most papercuts have no idea that Mike already did a lot to honor Chester's legacy.

Some PT songs were written inspired in Chester, and the shows really helped to heal some of us.

I wonder if a song in From Zero it's about Chester.

11 minutes ago, JZLP-RoadsUntraveled said:

Most papercuts have no idea that Mike already did a lot to honor Chester's legacy.

Some PT songs were written inspired in Chester, and the shows really helped to heal some of us.

I wonder if a song in From Zero it's about Chester.

Probably, but no so explicit as Looking for an Answer or Post Traumatic, probably hints here and there. A song that every person that has lost someone can relate, you know, the typical relatable LP lyrics