Lost Demos on Vinyl!

martinez

Hard not to feel a bit annoyed by this. Why couldn't this have just been included in any of the M20 sets? This just feels like a way to double/triple dip into fans wallets. I would have paid extra for a bundle with this and LPU demo records included. Not to mention the artificial scarcity factor that makes it harder for actual fans to purchase when they have to compete with flippers. Not a good look in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Hybrid1988 said:

Hard not to feel a bit annoyed by this. Why couldn't this have just been included in any of the M20 sets? This just feels like a way to double/triple dip into fans wallets. I would have paid extra for a bundle with this and LPU demo records included. Not to mention the artificial scarcity factor that makes it harder for actual fans to purchase when they have to compete with flippers. Not a good look in my opinion.

My man here just found out that bands are not charity.

15 minutes ago, JZLP-NaughtyNottingham said:

My man here just found out that bands are not charity.

I don't mind purchasing material from bands I enjoy, I'm a big boy, I can afford it. My tolerance is just a tad bit lower for this kind of stuff when the band in question are millionaires. But shitposters gonna shitpost.

"I would have paid extra for a bundle with this and LPU demo records included"

Nowhere did I imply they should give their material out as charity. In fact I implied the opposite. 

Edited by Hybrid1988

5 minutes ago, Hybrid1988 said:

I don't mind purchasing material from bands I enjoy, I'm a big boy, I can afford it. My tolerance is just a tad bit lower for this kind of stuff when the band in question are millionaires. But shitposters gonna shitpost.

Facts

9 minutes ago, Hybrid1988 said:

Nowhere did I imply they should give their material out as charity. In fact I implied the opposite. 

It's very simple that they planned to not include this in order to release it on RSD.

My tolerance is just a tad bit lower for this kind of stuff when the band in question are millionaires. But shitposters gonna shitpost.

that's how label making money. if they put everything out at once, how they gonna making more money? 🤑 the band cant say "no", so it's up to you whether you want to buy it or not, the label still wins. business.

To engage with this in a non-shitty way, I think that, beyond the cynical answer of excluding the Lost demos on vinyl so that they could do this release, there's also the practical aspect of what makes it onto vinyl in the box set and what doesn't. Warner established a precedent with HT20 that the demos disc would be CD and digital-exclusive, and I think it makes sense to follow that precedent with M20. Plus, including another record in the box would undoubtedly increase the price, and going above $200 would likely have a pretty decent impact on sales, likely more than the added revenue of the higher price. Alternatively, they could have cut the Nottingham show on vinyl, but then where does that go instead? On a CD? Cut from the box entirely?

I think the answer for the diehards would simply be "just add another record and raise the price," but I can see why Warner wouldn't have wanted to do that. Keeps the box at $200 and allows them to double-dip with RSD instead. I get the annoyance, though - it does feel a little bit like being nickel-and-dimed, but that's how Warner's gonna be, ultiamtely.

2 minutes ago, gorast said:

To engage with this in a non-shitty way, I think that, beyond the cynical answer of excluding the Lost demos on vinyl so that they could do this release, there's also the practical aspect of what makes it onto vinyl in the box set and what doesn't. Warner established a precedent with HT20 that the demos disc would be CD and digital-exclusive, and I think it makes sense to follow that precedent with M20. Plus, including another record in the box would undoubtedly increase the price, and going above $200 would likely have a pretty decent impact on sales, likely more than the added revenue of the higher price. Alternatively, they could have cut the Nottingham show on vinyl, but then where does that go instead? On a CD? Cut from the box entirely?

I think the answer for the diehards would simply be "just add another record and raise the price," but I can see why Warner wouldn't have wanted to do that. Keeps the box at $200 and allows them to double-dip with RSD instead. I get the annoyance, though - it does feel a little bit like being nickel-and-dimed, but that's how Warner's gonna be, ultiamtely.

I'm gonna be honest,I wouldn't mind listening to Nottingham on CD 🤔

1 hour ago, Stranger said:

that's how label making money. if they put everything out at once, how they gonna making more money? 🤑 the band cant say "no", so it's up to you whether you want to buy it or not, the label still wins. business.

That's totally understandable. To be fair, I don't think the band themselves are lighting their cigars with 100 dollar bills while making these decisions. Labels gonna do what it feels it needs to do. It's just a total head scratcher that we didn't get a super deluxe vinyl only set with all of these, considering Vinyl sales have overtaken CD's recently. I'm not involved with the music business let alone from a manufacturing/sales/marketing position, but as a fan it just feels like another case of a major label being out of touch with what fans want. 

1 hour ago, gorast said:

I touched on this a little above but it's just silly that they couldn't have compromised in some way and at least included a vinyl only set that contains the material that they heavily marketed for that particular release. I want to ask "who even cares about CD's anymore?" but since this is a hardcore fan/collector populated site, that probably won't go over too well for my argument. :P
Thinking on my position a bit more, I think I am more annoyed by the artificial scarcity factor of the release more than having to purchase ANOTHER separate release (taking your argument in good faith that they just couldn't make an additional record work for M20). I'm probably in the minority here but I would have gladly taken a set of just records for the full price of the super deluxe M20 as opposed to some records, cd's and prints/stickers that won't really get any use from me. 
Anyway... Appreciate having a dialogue! You raised some great points. Discussions like this make me miss the old days of band fandom where we had to make an effort to get involved in discussions on fan sites. But now I am just being a blabbering old man reminiscing on the "good old days" haha!

To be honest this movement, for me, wasn't off the cards. We've spoke here about how "relatively" cheap the box sets are for all they contain. I don't know the benefit margin for these boxsets, but I don't thing it would be that big. Enough to justify the production of it, I suppose. So I guess that's why, if you really want everything on vinyl (which seems the most desirable format nowadays), you REALLY have to pay for it. Which means buying the regular box set, the vinyl only edition, and now this. For me, that's the REAL price for having everything.

Overpriced? Maybe, but let's face it, manufacturing vinyls is way more expensive than CDs, so Warner has to scrap money everywhere to make profit. There's a lot of LP fans around the world, but hardcore fans like the ones who dwell in this forum? Perhaps 20% of the entire fanbase. 

At last, I don't thing the band itself has anything to do with this release. They'll probably have the standard contract: Band retains the right to the songs, but Warner owns the master recordings. They'll receive royalties for this product, but its the label who has the last word when it comes to release something. 

PS: I'm a CD guy, so my only "concern" is to have someday the Nottingham and the full LIT shows on that shiny little format. 

4 hours ago, bloodbath said:

To be honest this movement, for me, wasn't off the cards. We've spoke here about how "relatively" cheap the box sets are for all they contain. I don't know the benefit margin for these boxsets, but I don't thing it would be that big. Enough to justify the production of it, I suppose. So I guess that's why, if you really want everything on vinyl (which seems the most desirable format nowadays), you REALLY have to pay for it. Which means buying the regular box set, the vinyl only edition, and now this. For me, that's the REAL price for having everything.

Overpriced? Maybe, but let's face it, manufacturing vinyls is way more expensive than CDs, so Warner has to scrap money everywhere to make profit. There's a lot of LP fans around the world, but hardcore fans like the ones who dwell in this forum? Perhaps 20% of the entire fanbase. 

At last, I don't thing the band itself has anything to do with this release. They'll probably have the standard contract: Band retains the right to the songs, but Warner owns the master recordings. They'll receive royalties for this product, but its the label who has the last word when it comes to release something. 

PS: I'm a CD guy, so my only "concern" is to have someday the Nottingham and the full LIT shows on that shiny little format. 

and to add to this. Vinyl collectors know that limited releases such as these, will only go up in value over the years.

I think we should just get ourselves some if we want to, so we can show Warner there's appreciation for more content in those boxes. If the Lost Demos vinyl goes well they might open their mind a bit about LP and their anniversaries, most importantly their fans.

I think it looks pretty rad, I hope rhe price is fine as well and I'm keeping my eye open for one, don't know how RSD work tho tbh. We have a record store in town (Germany), that is part of the RSD shops but if the LP is limited to 10k I doubt there will be this exact record in town.

1 minute ago, solidss said:

Does this mean it will only be available at a physical record store in your city and not online? This is the first time I’m ever wanting something that was being exclusive for RSD.

It's not exclusive to RSD. They are getting it first, then it will be made available elsewhere. But the question is - how long will that take? It will be very expensive at first with the resale until they do that.

21 hours ago, JZLP-NaughtyNottingham said:

I don't use physical media anymore I only use switch cartridges because I resell them haha.

Wav files on my phone are the best thing, I also dislike streaming the quality is awful on every service, the eq sucks.

Understandable 😃👍, everyone has different ways of enjoying things

2 hours ago, LPLStaff said:

It's not exclusive to RSD. They are getting it first, then it will be made available elsewhere. But the question is - how long will that take? It will be very expensive at first with the resale until they do that.

Sorry for being the goof in this situation,but what's a RSD? 🤔

30 minutes ago, Rokaito said:

Sorry for being the goof in this situation,but what's a RSD? 🤔

Record Store Day. It's a special celebration created to support the traditional record stores. That's why many musicians release something special that can only be bought during that day on those kind of shops 

13 minutes ago, bloodbath said:

Record Store Day. It's a special celebration created to support the traditional record stores. That's why many musicians release something special that can only be bought during that day on those kind of shops 

OHHH,ok 👌