Altwire Exclusive: Meteora|20 Review

LPLStaff

1 minute ago, LPAAltwireDerek said:

Nope! Completely different. Sadly, the "I can't stand to fake this" demo is still out there. I was hoping this would be it. I've been waiting for that demo for over 20 years, haha. This, the "just drag it out" version of A6, and the "thoughts that take away my pride" version of Lost are still hiding. 

They are saving something for other anniversaries I guess. Like, I think we are getting smaller celebrations but still something. Like, A.06 with Chester vocals and the other Figure 09, I think saving something for like 2033 could be cool. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, STRANGELOVE92 said:

They are saving something for other anniversaries I guess. Like, I think we are getting smaller celebrations but still something. Like, A.06 with Chester vocals and the other Figure 09, I think saving something for like 2033 could be cool. 

I have different schools of thought on this. They *could* be saving it for LPU or something in the future, or they may have no idea where the versions with Chester are located or forgot about them. Case in point: Mike didn't even remember that they recorded chorus vocals with Chester for "Fighting Myself." Brad completely forgot that "Lost" existed. The band makes hundreds of demos for each cycle and often does nothing with the scrapped tracks after the cycle is done. Some have appeared on LPU CDs, but I guarantee there are dozens of semi-finished tracks featuring unused Chester vocals, and unused Mike vocals, just waiting on a hard drive somewhere. There's also the scary possibility that they are "gone" (hard drive failure, deleted, etc), although the deleted possibility is far less likely, considering Mike had "pods" from the Xero days. 

1 minute ago, Qwerty18 said:

It could also be that those vocal takes were legit discarded early on - didn't lead anywhere ^^'

This. They're probably still part of the session file, but the band probably doesn't remember them because they were so early. The band sometimes underestimates how crazy some fans can be with details. I don't think they ever imagined we'd analyze clips decades later. Hell, the band was SO confused when I recently asked about "Thoughts" during the Q&A. They spent five minutes trying to figure it out before someone went on YouTube, and Mike was like, "OH!" haha.

There is still a plenty of unreleased material and holy grails:

- Soundtrack with vocals

- A.06 with Chester

- Sick (Don't Stay Demo)

- Nocturnal

- Serpent

- Fighting Myself demo (Shortcut?)

- Lost demo

- other demo variations of known songs

- unknown instrumental demos

and probably unknown demos with vocals.

1 minute ago, Hybrider said:

There is still a plenty of unreleased material and holy grails:

- Soundtrack with vocals

- A.06 with Chester

- Sick (Don't Stay Demo)

- Nocturnal

- Serpent

- Fighting Myself demo (Shortcut?)

- Lost demo

- other demo variations of known songs

- unknown instrumental demos

and probably unknown demos with vocals.

Based on some claims from a recent listening party, it's rumored that two songs that "didn't make the cut" for Lost Demos were played as a bonus. A BTH demo with Chester vocals and an instrumental Don't Stay demo (possibly the reggae-esque Don't Stay)? 

Still very curious about what Serpent and Nocturnal became or if they are totally new songs.

4 minutes ago, LPAAltwireDerek said:

Based on some claims from a recent listening party, it's rumored that two songs that "didn't make the cut" for Lost Demos were played as a bonus. A BTH demo with Chester vocals and an instrumental Don't Stay demo (possibly the reggae-esque Don't Stay)? 

Still very curious about what Serpent and Nocturnal became or if they are totally new songs.

I wouldn't trust the veracity or at least the LP knowledge of those who attended. Just yesterday I passed The Wizard Song to one of them, and he said no demo contained that music. 

Massive is similar or the style of Carousel? but more raw, that's what I was told yesterday, and the people who went said they were chester and Mike's vocals

55 minutes ago, LPAAltwireDerek said:

I have different schools of thought on this. They *could* be saving it for LPU or something in the future, or they may have no idea where the versions with Chester are located or forgot about them. Case in point: Mike didn't even remember that they recorded chorus vocals with Chester for "Fighting Myself." Brad completely forgot that "Lost" existed. The band makes hundreds of demos for each cycle and often does nothing with the scrapped tracks after the cycle is done. Some have appeared on LPU CDs, but I guarantee there are dozens of semi-finished tracks featuring unused Chester vocals, and unused Mike vocals, just waiting on a hard drive somewhere. There's also the scary possibility that they are "gone" (hard drive failure, deleted, etc), although the deleted possibility is far less likely, considering Mike had "pods" from the Xero days. 

This. They're probably still part of the session file, but the band probably doesn't remember them because they were so early. The band sometimes underestimates how crazy some fans can be with details. I don't think they ever imagined we'd analyze clips decades later. Hell, the band was SO confused when I recently asked about "Thoughts" during the Q&A. They spent five minutes trying to figure it out before someone went on YouTube, and Mike was like, "OH!" haha.

Yeah I agree with you, they are probably sitting on hundreds of half songs like Too Legit or Asbestos. We just have to hope they remember they exist 😂

13 minutes ago, xeroboi said:

Did you heard the 2002 version of lost?

Nope, my preview was limited to the Lost Demos only, which is okay. I'd prefer to have some stuff that's a surprise.

Also, I feel people need to remind themselves that the 2002 Mix will not be a radically different version of the song. It's just going to be Lost with Andy Wallace-style mixing. Brad said the original mix didn't hit as hard as Manny's.

3 minutes ago, STRANGELOVE92 said:

We just have to hope they remember they exist 😂

Considering Mike forgets demo dates on LPU, that's a tall order.

Just kidding Mike. Much love.

I wonder if any of the holdup over some of the other demos with Chester on them is with Chester's surviving family members. Not trying to say that in a negative way or anything just curious.

At any rate I'm super excited to hear the rest of Lost demos even if I'm a little disappointed by the fact we've heard all of the songs with unheard Chester vocals already. I'm very interested to hear all these new Mike verses and having a song with him singing pre-MTM is always a treat.

45 minutes ago, Capacity said:

I wouldn't trust the veracity or at least the LP knowledge of those who attended. Just yesterday I passed The Wizard Song to one of them, and he said no demo contained that music. 

Massive is similar or the style of Carousel? but more raw, that's what I was told yesterday, and the people who went said they were chester and Mike's vocals

Massive sounding like Carousel is probably the worst take I’ve heard yet lol. They’re not even close. Firstly, there’s no rap from Mike at all. No aggressive vocals from Chester. If anything it sounds a lot more like TRUSTcompany style rock (except with no screaming) than Carousel. Is this from the same guy who didn’t recognize the wizard song? :P

20 minutes ago, xeroboi said:

Like mike think some Chester demos are from 1998. 

My holy grail is the 2000 version of pictureboard still don't understand why we didn't get that version or the part of me with Chester screams.

I seem to remember an interview where they said they reworked And One for Meteora but for the life of me I can’t find the interview ANYWHERE. I sometimes wonder if I was dreaming it. 

7 minutes ago, LPAAltwireDerek said:

Massive sounding like Carousel is probably the worst take I’ve heard yet lol. They’re not even close. Firstly, there’s no rap from Mike at all. No aggressive vocals from Chester. If anything it sounds a lot more like TRUSTcompany style rock (except with no screaming) than Carousel. Is this from the same guy who didn’t recognize the wizard song? :P

I seem to remember an interview where they said they reworked And One for Meteora but for the life of me I can’t find the interview ANYWHERE. I sometimes wonder if I was dreaming it. 

There's the 2000 version of And One (according to Jeff Blue it does exist)... shortened like it was played live.

11 minutes ago, LPAAltwireDerek said:

What really wow please look for that interview how would that sound 

13 minutes ago, LPAAltwireDerek said:

Same person, he kept remarking that Massive sounded more raw than the rest of the demos, but now that you say that Chester isn't there, I don't even know what to believe anymore LOL. What he did confirm is that he didn't listen to any BTH demo with Chester's vocals or a demo of Don't Stay, but now seeing the situation, I don't know what to think.

3 minutes ago, Capacity said:

Same person, he kept remarking that Massive sounded more raw than the rest of the demos, but now that you say that Chester isn't there, I don't even know what to believe anymore LOL. What he did confirm is that he didn't listen to any BTH demo with Chester's vocals or a demo of Don't Stay, but now seeing the situation, I don't know what to think.

confirmed!! Dave "Phoenix" Farrell was the dude from the listening party in Madrid!

"Is this Carousel?"

Edited by unksoldier2000

14 minutes ago, unksoldier2000 said:

There's the 2000 version of And One (according to Jeff Blue it does exist)... shortened like it was played live.

Okay I’m not completely crazy then. Thank you for that haha. I hope we hear this one day. 

6 minutes ago, Capacity said:

Okay I will agree that out of all the “new songs” we’ve never heard before (not including the demos) that Massive probably is the roughest sounding. Don’t get me wrong, it’s wonderful. But it probably would’ve benefitted from a new mix. 

3 minutes ago, unksoldier2000 said:

confirmed!! Dave "Phoenix" Farrell was the dude from the listening party in Madrid!

"Is this Carousel?"

I’m fucking dead 💀 

2 minutes ago, unksoldier2000 said:

"Is this Carousel?"

LOL, anyway the Don't Stay and BTH thing is only said by the guy on Reddit, I've seen a girl who went to the event who says BTH was sung by Mike (basically the demo we've been listening to for 9 years).

3 minutes ago, LPAAltwireDerek said:

Okay I will agree that out of all the “new songs” we’ve never heard before (not including the demos) that Massive probably is the roughest sounding. Don’t get me wrong, it’s wonderful. But it probably would’ve benefitted from a new mix. 

and Resolution was a mix between Fort minor and the sound of Meteora, and had no chorus. Now looking at your description, in his own way, he wasn't wrong 

Edited by Capacity

2 minutes ago, Capacity said:

and Resolution was a mix between Fort minor and the sound of Meteora, and had no chorus. Now looking at your description, in his own way, he wasn't wrong 

Resolution is actually really fun because it’s a different kind of rap for Mike that we don’t hear much. Kinda reminded me of old school pre Hybrid Theory Mike in his delivery. If it was more finished of a song and had a chorus it would probably be one of my favorites on the CD. That’s why I said it was such a pity they didn’t advance the demo further in my review. I really like what exists. 

17 minutes ago, LPAAltwireDerek said:

Resolution is actually really fun because it’s a different kind of rap for Mike that we don’t hear much. Kinda reminded me of old school pre Hybrid Theory Mike in his delivery. If it was more finished of a song and had a chorus it would probably be one of my favorites on the CD. That’s why I said it was such a pity they didn’t advance the demo further in my review. I really like what exists. 

This sounds pretty cool. And it was one of the final songs at NRG they were working on, in that last batch of songs that made it so far into the process. So they must have really loved it. Excited for the release!

Thanks for all of the info on the songs!

44 minutes ago, Capacity said:

What track did he mistaken hearing dont stay demo for?