Brad Delson Meteora|20 Interview: "We wanted to make something timeless"

LPLStaff

Brad Delson has just sat down with Rock Antenne for an audio interview, which you can listen to here. Most of it has been summarized below:

Making 'Meteora': "We had a really big challenge of desperately wanting to follow up Hybrid Theory. There was a lot of nonsense in the press that we were made up somehow. The challenge was how to physically make these songs while we were still on the road. We actually outfitted a bus with a studio. Mike basically moved into that bus and we would spend time with him on that bus, creating ideas that ultimately formed the bedrock of this album that we made with Don Gilmore who also produced Hybrid Theory. We wanted to prove that Hybrid Theory wasn't a fluke, that we had something to say. We wanted to make something timeless."

About "Lost": "Not everything we make is great. We make a lot of stuff to try to capture something really, really special. And this is one of those moments. And I haven't heard it in probably 20 years. And when I heard it, I was floored by it. It's one of my favorite things we've ever made. I think his vocal performance is exquisite. The subtlety on the verses and the power in the chorus... the vocal production is really, really special. Don Gilmore is a really fantastic vocal producer, among all of his other talents. I think the way he captured Chester's voice on that song... is one of the best songs we've made, I think. I am super stoked. Here in the U.S. it's number one right now at alternative and at rock radio."

"Lost" being left off of Meteora: "The icing on the cake is when we were making the album, Mike and I were in New York with Andy Wallace, a legendary engineer. He mixed Hybrid Theory. He mixed fourteen songs and we were going through, like, how to sequence them because our format was the "album", like we wanted a whole album to take you on a journey and tell a story. And so getting the sequence right and getting the elements right is an art form unto itself. We had this song and we felt like it was similar to our other song "Numb", and we really wanted "Numb" to have its own moment to shine. So let's hold this other song off of the record and maybe at some future moment it'll have its own day in the sun. And then we forgot that that song existed."

Mixing "Lost": "I really wanted the multitracks. Even though the mix was beautiful, it really didn't feel like a timeless song and I wanted to give it to Manny Maroquin who mixed our recent albums, to listen to it with fresh ears."

"Lost" video, Meteora visuals: "I think that the visuals that were created for this song are really special. As artists, we've always prioritized the visual landscape of our band. It was never like, "Oh now we are going to just add visuals." Mike and Joe both went to one of the best art schools in the states and are really accomplished artists. And we've able to collaborate with artists like Delta, who created that Meteora wall. When I think of Meteora, I think of stepping into a whole universe. I'm not just thinking of songs, I am thinking of a whole experience. And when I think of songs on the album, I think of their visuals. That's the first thing I think of. When I think of "Breaking the Habit", I am seeing "Breaking the Habit." Joe went to Japan at that time and collaborated with some of the most talented anime artists and created a whole visual world. And the fact he was able to revisit that for this song and put a whole new spin on it just makes total sense to me. Like it's really a beautiful, exquisite piece of art. I am really stoked on the directors that worked on that and how it turned out. It's super, super cool. I don't even know how they did it."

The name 'Meteora': Brad actually Googled the Greek meteora. "These were really inspiring to us. The vastness, they feel really breathtaking. I think there is an interplay between the cliffs and the manmade element. I think it's a juxtaposition I think these images to me convey like a majestic vastness, they conjure a timelessness and they also conjure a juxtaposition of elements you don't expect. I was not fortunate enough to visit this place. When I went to Greece, I was very focused to getting to the show on time. That's the thing people don't realize about touring. I would say the exception is Germany because I spend so much time in Germany that I feel like I know Berlin pretty well, Berlin specifically because that's the place I spent the most time when I was in Germany. Most places we tour to, we would see the hotel, the venue, a restaurant and the airport at a really crazy pace. This time in our career was really a whirlwind. I am doing two hours of press today and it feels like a lot. When I was that age, they would have been like, "Okay you are going to do two hours of press before the show, because you are young and have lots of energy." So it was a whirlwind at that time, it was clear in the documentary footage on this box set. It feels like an amazing sense of being grounded and having a deeper appreciation for everything we have created and for the impact it has had and continues to have. I am really grateful."

Chester's birthday: "It's obviously sad, because I miss him. Also beautiful to have an extra special day to celebrate his memory and his legacy and how much joy he brought people, and light and life that was inside of him that he shared so vulnerably."

About 'Meteora': "The emotion in these songs is so clear and true that I think that's what ultimately makes it stand the test of time."

The success of 'Meteora': "I think we learned as we've grown as artists, you can't control how something is going to do commercially. You have no idea how other people are going to feel about it. The only thing you can control is your own creative contribution to something. So our ethos was kind of always like, "Let's make exactly the album we want to make, that we want to listen to", and we hope that other people feel the same. Also, all 6 of us have very different musical tastes, so if we would find something we really loved, it was a really good sign."

What's going on with Linkin Park: "I think we are really focused on this release. We put a lot of energy into this box set. There is a tremendous amount of music on it that people haven't heard before. I think in particular, this song "Lost" is connecting more. Someone pointed out of the recent songs we've released, "Lost" is having a bigger impact."  He adds "I think the moment we are in is celebrating this album and I think with this song, it's just something special you can't predict. Even if you try to line everything up, you never know how something is going to impact people and connect."

"I think we learned as we've grown as artists, you can't control how something is going to do commercially. You have no idea how other people are going to feel about it. "

Which release (album or song) do you think the band had confidence it would perform well but flopped?

There are a few releases the band knew it would'nt be popular, but what about the ones they thought it would?

Lost is clearly the opposite, way more successful than anyone could predict.

Edited by vinifeijo

16 minutes ago, vinifeijo said:

Which release (album or song) do you think the band had confidence it would perform well but flopped?

There are a few releases the band knew it would'nt be popular, but what about the ones they thought it would?

The very last video that they put  a lot of $$ on it was Final Masquerade, the production  was really GOOD

its probably one of their best videos for sure.

Too bad that they chose the wrong song to spend that money.

3 minutes ago, JZ-GreyDaze said:

The very last video that they put  a lot of $$ on it was Final Masquerade, the production  was really GOOD

its probably one of their best videos for sure.

Too bad that they chose the wrong song to spend that money.

Mike = illustrator
Joe = Illustrator and director
then think that it would be a good idea to put one of the best works they made into AI hands with random concepts :)

(the worst part is that they actually paid to have that poor result, i mean... the faces SUCKED)

27 minutes ago, unksoldier2000 said:

Mike = illustrator
then think that it would be a good idea to put one of the best works they made into AI hands with random concepts :)

(the worst part is that they actually paid to have that poor result, i mean... the faces SUCKED)

you never know the exact cost of making an actual music video vs AI video. plus, the band wasnt sure Lost really doing well. so, save cost is the better way. Lost music video is great for me. better than using old footage of Chester and compiled it to become music video.

2 minutes ago, Stranger said:

you never know the exact cost of making an actual music video vs AI video. plus, the band wasnt sure Lost really doing well. so, save cost is the better way. Lost music video is great for me. better than using old footage of Chester and compiled it to become music video.

i know that it's expensive af... i didn't even said that it need a real music video.
my point is, you just paid to do a AI video with old band clips when you do that way simplier (HT20 pics /POA vid for example).

or even Meteora Wall as concept like it was back in the day... it looks way off to me, that's all.

39 minutes ago, unksoldier2000 said:

Mike = illustrator

The Lost video is really good it helped to boost the popularity of the song. LP plus Anime it's a great connection.

Also I dont think that the bad would want to record a video with them performing the song.

Old clips its such a lazy concept.

20 minutes ago, JZ-GreyDaze said:

The Lost video is really good it helped to boost the popularity of the song. LP plus Anime it's a great connection.

Also I dont think that the bad would want to record a video with them performing the song.

Old clips its such a lazy concept.

but that's literally what they did... they took old clips and put that  AI crappy effect in to make it look like Anime, but looks terrible (espeacially the bizarre faces)
i would rather have the OG clipls intead of that.
but since everyone here liked...

1 hour ago, vinifeijo said:

THP. The cycle started bad and ended up worst

2 hours ago, unksoldier2000 said:

idk but it seems to me that all these interviews are repetitive af
they just talk about Lost, the success of the album and LP's future.

Welcome to the release cycle of every release in existence.

2 minutes ago, JZ-GreyDaze said:

What's different about this interview is that Brad is giving credits to Don about Chester's vocals.. I know that it will never happen but it would be really interesting what they can do with Don in 2023.

i've only mentioned the parts that they always ask, instead of just talking about the song bg and not getting furthur into MT20 itself.
(for example: like on the Discord Q&A... we asking about TTTAMP and etc and some other people asking which was Mike's favorite Transformer... geez)

actually that was one of my favorites parts of this interview, Don really deserve credits.
btw, i was going to ask here where he is been into.. he didn't show up for HT20 and either MT20 an he was the PRODUCER, lol.

41 minutes ago, Coizu said:

Welcome to the release cycle of every release in existence.

“Firecracker, fast, fun, electronic”. LT
“Visceral, we had amazing instrumentals but no words and lyrics. We scrapped a pop record”THP

”Emotional record, we wrote lyrics first. It was based on conversations between us”. OML 

Just now, STRANGELOVE92 said:

“Firecracker, fast, fun, electronic”. LT
“Visceral, we had amazing instrumentals but no words and lyrics. We scrapped a pop record”THP

”Emotional record, we wrote lyrics first. It was based on conversations between us”. OML 

1- DA TOOLBOX!!!

2- ANALOG

3 ''It was based on conversations between BRAD, MIKE AND RANDOM SONGWRITERS''

LT and THP were supplementary releases, IMO. It's there because they had to because of contract and shit. No passion whatsoever. OML on the other side, it had the passion but lacked commitment. OML deserved to have an external producer. Different minds, different takes, different vibe. Though, we had different writers and contributors but they all sound the same. 

44 minutes ago, RYG4R said:

LT and THP were supplementary releases, IMO. It's there because they had to because of contract and shit. No passion whatsoever. OML on the other side, it had the passion but lacked commitment. OML deserved to have an external producer. Different minds, different takes, different vibe. Though, we had different writers and contributors but they all sound the same. 

OML is great I love every song on it, it’s one of those records I love putting up and listen front to back, something I never do with MTM, I feel so bored by that album in full. 

3 minutes ago, STRANGELOVE92 said:

OML is great I love every song on it, it’s one of those records I love putting up and listen front to back, something I never do with MTM, I feel so bored by that album in full. 

MTM is not my cup of tea, either. But I like Shadow of the Day and Given Up tho.

Fans: We want more from other members besides Mike always doing the press
Also fans: These interviews with Brad are repetitive

lol. Any time we can hear from the band these days is good. Brad speaks very well and this was a solid interview. Talking about Don, mentioning he (Brad) was the one that wanted the song mixed by Manny, etc... the smaller details like Mike taking residency in a bus in 2001 to get demos made for the next album, all of that is cool.

14 minutes ago, RYG4R said:

MTM is not my cup of tea, either. But I like Shadow of the Day and Given Up tho.

I really like single songs but the track list is my big issue: Side A is the big singles we all heard 10000 times, Side B is like the “good songs but too many U2-esque ballads”, I’d have moved NMS in the last 3 to break the VD IB IP TLTGYA sequence that is kinda flat