Mike Remixes "Arthas, My Son" from World of Warcraft 'Wrath of the Lich King'

LPLStaff

World of Warcraft has released a new remix done by Mike, of the song "Arthas, My Son" from the World of Warcraft Wrath of the Lich King -Classic- soundtrack.

Mike commented on Twitter, "Delighted to have put my take on "Arthas My Son" for the Wrath of the Lich King soundtrack."

Recently on his Discord, Mike mentioned that he's always continuously writing new music but it's just a matter of some of it not being released for various reasons (rejected songs for TV/film, etc). But we're glad this one made it out!

I really like the track! Typical old-school Linkin Park style - it sounds like a demo that would be created between Meteora and Minutes to Midnight. It's also awesome that he added some modern flavour to the typical Linkin Park style with these 808s here and there in the verses. I can see the band utilising a similar style moving forward, IF they move forward, of course. Great song!

15 minutes ago, blackout said:

I really like the track! Typical old-school Linkin Park style - it sounds like a demo that would be created between Meteora and Minutes to Midnight. It's also awesome that he added some modern flavour to the typical Linkin Park style with these 808s here and there in the verses. I can see the band utilising a similar style moving forward, IF they move forward, of course. Great song!

Totally this, it’s like meteora/approaching to MTM but with more modern influences, reminds me even of some 2011/12 stuff like the LPU12 demos like Bunker or stuff like that. Love it. 

7 minutes ago, JZ-GreyDazePatheticWorship said:

Finally a good production from Mike Shinoda. It's been years since his last good song.

It’s like post Meteora LP, that phase where they were looking for MTM sound. If somebody told me this was a 2006 demo I would have believed them 

It feels more like a Twitch track someone asked him to do in the moment mixing music elements mostly before 2010 than an actual finished song lol, still decent, although I prefer him to keep evolving as a musician instead or at least do something more unpredictable.

Edited by KlaytonShinoda

This was unexpected. 
It has some interesting elements but it‘s not something I will go back to and listen to on a regular basis.

The Warcraft community doesn‘t seem to be too big about this either. 
I also find it kinda ironic that Mike did a song for WoW Classic, which is basically for people who are the definition of „everything used to be better“ and who can‘t deal with anything new or changed. The same type of people that would still say that LP should do HT3 nowadays. 

On 12/24/2022 at 4:09 PM, Justin said:

Comments like this always make me wonder if Mike ever reads LPL threads lol

He did during the ATS era because he mentioned at the London M&G that the fans on LPLive were pretty harsh at times about the setlists. lol

In fairness to the fans, looking back now 12 years later, that was the first time they didn't rotate setlists on a world tour in a long time - the MTM tour had different sets all over. They pretty quickly threw in LFY and LOATR in that set and then started rotating sets again after Europe.

12 hours ago, Coizu said:

This was unexpected. 
It has some interesting elements but it‘s not something I will go back to and listen to on a regular basis.

I also find it kinda ironic that Mike did a song for WoW Classic, which is basically for people who are the definition of „everything used to be better“ and who can‘t deal with anything new or changed. The same type of people that would still say that LP should do HT3 nowadays. 

Another proof of the different sensibilities of the fanbase is that I already replayed this track more than anything on Dropped Frames project. 😊

16 hours ago, Coizu said:

This was unexpected. 

Yeah some of those comments are pretty brutal and clearly coming from a place where they would have bashed literally whatever that remix had sounded like. They're mad that it exists at all.

I saw one comment that just said "Some songs shouldn't be remixed. Ever." - Reminds me of some Beatles purists who have responded to the recent remasters, like Revolver that just came out, with immediate derision simply because they think it was perfect in the 60's and shouldn't be touched.

It's like... Just don't listen to it, then. I don't like most of Recharged or the 100 Gecs remix of OSC, but I'm not actively angry that those things exist lol

6 hours ago, Justin said:

Yeah some of those comments are pretty brutal and clearly coming from a place where they would have bashed literally whatever that remix had sounded like. They're mad that it exists at all.

I saw one comment that just said "Some songs shouldn't be remixed. Ever." - Reminds me of some Beatles purists who have responded to the recent remasters, like Revolver that just came out, with immediate derision simply because they think it was perfect in the 60's and shouldn't be touched.

It's like... Just don't listen to it, then. I don't like most of Recharged or the 100 Gecs remix of OSC, but I'm not actively angry that those things exist lol

Yeah when there’s a remix or an alternative version you can still listen to the original ... lol. It’s not that it vanished from earth 😂😂

Maybe some interesting context if you are not familiar with Warcraft:

Many consider the Arthas storyline peak Warcraft lore. Wrath of the Lich King (the World of Warcraft expansion which revolves around the conclusion of that story arc) is also considered to be peak World of Warcraft. So both from the lore itself and the gameplay it's the golden age of Warcraft for a lot of people. It's a very delicate topic. Touching anything around that is just really difficult because of that. I am not sure if he was aware of that context, but if I was an artist, I would have noped the fuck out if someone asked me to do something similar.

10 hours ago, Sansei said:

I think it sucks personally. 

I’ve never played WoW nor have I ever heard the original. So to me it just sounds like a new beat by Mike.

I can certainly understand the context now that it’s been explained, and I can see why some people are just not going to like any remix at all because they see it as already perfect.

I just personally think that if you don’t like it, it’s easy to just pretend it doesn’t exist. I mean LP could release a dubstep remix of BTH and a lot of us would see it as almost blasphemous, but I would just pretend it isn’t a thing, the same way I do with at least 8 or 9 of the existing official remixes of BID lol

13 hours ago, Justin said:

I’ve never played WoW nor have I ever heard the original. So to me it just sounds like a new beat by Mike.

I can certainly understand the context now that it’s been explained, and I can see why some people are just not going to like any remix at all because they see it as already perfect.

I just personally think that if you don’t like it, it’s easy to just pretend it doesn’t exist. I mean LP could release a dubstep remix of BTH and a lot of us would see it as almost blasphemous, but I would just pretend it isn’t a thing, the same way I do with at least 8 or 9 of the existing official remixes of BID lol

Totally this. Never played Warcraft and never heard the original, and I like this one, sounds like Meteora/early MTM raw demo. If WOW fans don’t like it they can pretend it does not exist, as we would do with a dubstep remix of BTH with Lil Wayne rapping a verse about drugs and strippers in the bridge 😂