Alanis Morissette Releases Chester Bennington Tribute Song 'Rest'

lpliveusername

Alanis Morissette has released a studio version of her song 'Rest,' co-written by Morissette and Michael Farrell and produced by Alex Hope. The song was debuted live at the tribute show for Chester Bennington at the Hollywood Bowl in 2017. She introduced it saying:

“There’s been a lot of vilification of people with depression and addiction, and being troubled, and being in the public eye. Being made fun of for the challenges that we, as a huge community of people with notoriety, have gone through. It’s an extremely isolating and challenging journey to go through. So, for me, I just want to offer empathy to all people in the public eye, and to all of you here tonight and everyone on the planet who is grieving.”

'Rest' was performed live several times after that but a studio version hadn't been released until today. She wrote on Twitter:

"today is #MentalHealthAction Day… i'm sharing a song entitled “Rest” written specifically about those of us who struggle with depression and anxiety, isolation, suicidal ideation and the profound despair that mental illness can plunge us into. go to http://MentalHealthIsHealth.us to learn how you can help support yourself and others today & every day."

Source: RollingStone & NME

I still struggle to forget how shocking she was at the bowl, she really destroyed the mood, and whats worst is that she had two songs for herself. I would have preferred to have the Tinfoil on repeat for that time

40 minutes ago, Cesar656 said:

I still struggle to forget how shocking she was at the bowl, she really destroyed the mood, and whats worst is that she had two songs for herself. I would have preferred to have the Tinfoil on repeat for that time

Ehmm it’s exactly what I think but you expressed it in brutally honest words 😂with all the due respect for the person and the artist,  I really didn’t like her COG exhibition and her overall performance. COG with just Mike like during the PT tour would have been A LOT better. 

4 minutes ago, JoForumBlueGold said:

I thought Alanis Morissette sounded great during the tribute show (can't get her head tilt out of my head though). The only performance I wasn't feeling was Julia Michaels on Heavy. 

Wow it’s the opposite for me. Julia was great, uplifting performance. Loved the way she asked to sing along for Chester. 

36 minutes ago, vinifeijo said:

i always jump her 20min part on the chester's tribute show.

You are brave enough to watch the show, but I really feel uncomfortable. Mike shows ? Ok. LP old shows ? Ok (except for maybe OML or SE if I’m not in the right mood). But the bowl ...ehhh. Love the 5 of them sing in the first part, it’s a glimpse of the possible future, but the show is super sad, it instantly throws me into the July 20th mood. 

22 minutes ago, PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92 said:

You are brave enough to watch the show, but I really feel uncomfortable. Mike shows ? Ok. LP old shows ? Ok (except for maybe OML or SE if I’m not in the right mood). But the bowl ...ehhh. Love the 5 of them sing in the first part, it’s a glimpse of the possible future, but the show is super sad, it instantly throws me into the July 20th mood. 

Same. You’re exactly the same as I am. Can’t rewatch the bowl show, I have it on my HDD. Haven’t watched it since I downloaded it back in 2017

16 hours ago, xxHybridXeroxx said:

Same. You’re exactly the same as I am. Can’t rewatch the bowl show, I have it on my HDD. Haven’t watched it since I downloaded it back in 2017

Even more, I NEVER watched the full show front to back, i remember watching the whole show in pieces. 

Edited by PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92

37 minutes ago, Cesar656 said:

I was there and rewatch it often, except Alanis's part, how could that be so bad i still cant understand it. The same show that had Jeremy on APFMH had Alanis on COG and that rest song, incredible

Yeah I rewatched her part today, as I said in the shout box, all my respect to her but sounds totally off, she shouldn’t have been on the song, it’s like if Mike tried to sing Wastelands chorus ...

"Rest" was OK, nothing i'll come back (or I never came back, referred to the HB version), but COG... 

Edited by PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92

1 hour ago, PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92 said:

Yeah I rewatched her part today, as I said in the shout box, all my respect to her but sounds totally off, she shouldn’t have been on the song, it’s like if Mike tried to sing Wastelands chorus ...

"Rest" was OK, nothing i'll come back (or I never came back, referred to the HB version), but COG... 

She sounds epic

7 minutes ago, JZ-CashGrabDude said:

who you liked from the celebrate life show?

I think the best guest singer was Jeremy from ADTR, Oli was also really good as well as Sinister Gates, mostly shredding at the end of BIO. Derek and Jon Green were also on fire

2 hours ago, LPLStaff said:

The production on this song by Alanis is really good. It's simple but it works quite well. Reminds me of OML (the song) with the effects used.

Yeah that’s true, it instantly reminded me of the “tremulo” on OML and the effects 

Really nice production! I liked the song a lot and the production adds a lot while not being overbearing. 

Also, I liked her COG performance. I mean she was a little off in terms of remembering the lyrics/timing, but in general I think that's an awesome song for her type of voice. It is after all folk-inspired. Reminded me a lot of the time they performed it with Ann and Nancy: 

Between those two choices, I wonder if Mike wishes they had tried female vocals on it lol