"Dialate" and "Could Have Been"

LPLStaff

Linkin Park Radio on SiriusXM Turbo (Ch. 41) has debuted the two previously unknown songs from #HybridTheory20 - "Dialate" and "Could Have Been"!

"Dialate" is a Xero song recorded to cassette with Mike and Mark around 1996/1997, while "Could Have Been" is a song written by Mike, Chester, and Brad from the Hybrid Theory (band) era. The song features a Red Hot Chili Peppers-style bass jam at the end with a heavy chorus and fast rapping by Mike.

Let us know when you hear these two "brand new" songs!

I've heard both. I absolutely love "Dialate". I'm kind of suprised it wasn't included in the Xero tape, this track would fit right in there. "Could have been" is amazing as well. Mike's rapping was awesome on both tracks. And I'm always pleased to hear some new vocals by Mark Wakefield.

42 minutes ago, YRQRM0 said:

Woah, didn't expect these two to show up in any form before the box set. Now the only really new thing left is PB with Chester.

That as well as both Esaul (Xero Demo) with Mark's vocals & Stick N Move (Demo) with Chester's vocals.

2 hours ago, JediAHoles said:

I've heard both. I absolutely love "Dialate". I'm kind of suprised it wasn't included in the Xero tape, this track would fit right in there. "Could have been" is amazing as well. Mike's rapping was awesome on both tracks. And I'm always pleased to hear some new vocals by Mark Wakefield.

I personally think Mark's voice actually sounded a little bit higher in Dialate than in most of his songs.

I like Dialate quite a bit, but Could Have Been is outstanding. I’m a big fan of She Couldn’t, but damn do I wish that Could Have Been was the song that we got back in the day.

I love the instrumentals of Hybrid Theory songs so much. Linkin Park does great instrumentally in general, but there’s just something about Hybrid Theory (and a decent chunk of Meteora) that almost any of the songs could have works as standalone instrumentals and I would have enjoyed them just as much.

Maybe it’s just my taste in music, but as much as I still enjoy later stuff post-Meteora, without the lyrics, I don’t think they are as enjoyable, which is why I don’t tend to enjoy all the LPU tracks that lack lyrics as much as the others. Coal, Pods, Chair, all those are dope as fuck

9 hours ago, JediAHoles said:

Well, of course they did, but it's great that we get to hear some new material.

The reason I’m pointing this out is because that isn’t the case with the other album writing sessions imo.
I’d argue for songs like What We Don’t Know or Across the Line over In Between, Valentine’s Day, etc, and the same idea applies for the other albums.
Hybrid Theory just didn’t have a whole lot going for it with these other unheard tracks outside of maybe Carousel or And One. 

1 minute ago, Broman said:

The reason I’m pointing this out is because that isn’t the case with the other album writing sessions imo.
I’d argue for songs like What We Don’t Know or Across the Line over In Between, Valentine’s Day, etc, and the same idea applies for the other albums.
Hybrid Theory just didn’t have a whole lot going for it with these other unheard tracks outside of maybe Carousel or And One. 

And One is perfect 

3 hours ago, Broman said:

See I get your point, but I have a soft spot for those two songs specifically lol. 

Overall though, I know what you mean. Mike has gone on record as saying that the best songs from that era were the ones we already had, back when he realized PB was being treated as the holy grail of unreleased LP material. I think a lot of people thought about the amazing B-sides you mentioned and thought Mike may have just been downplaying it.