The 5 levels of Soldiers

Kilmer

I'm still in vacations and my mind wandered to the concept of different levels of Linkin Park fans, each one with a new layer of knowledge. Of course there are subdivisions for each of these 5 levels and they may often mix, but this was made for fun, with the support of years following the band and observing the fandom, so please don't overthink, just sit back and enjoy.

The casual listener: the one who only knows singles. If the song has an official video, it's very likely that he knows how to sing the chorus. Yeah, he's gonna frown in confusion when Mike delivers Wretches & Kings + Skin to Bone + Hands Held High verse 1, but hey, nevermind, now they're playing Numb and he's totally happy. This is the guy shouting "Crawling" through the whole show.

The fan: the one who listened to the studio albums. He's very dedicated(pun intended) to his duty and has also watched lots of live performances on Youtube. He wishes they would play Powerless live and open with Don't Stay(Gacela intro) again. He went nuts when they added A Line in the Sand to the setlist. This is the guy shouting "A Place For My Head" through the whole show.

The hardcore fan: the one who knows the B-sides. He shed tears with the Not Alone video, failed to rap Reading My Eyes and listened to My December last month. He swears there is someone out there who owns a tape with a live version of Carousel. This is the guy shouting "No Roads Left" through the whole show.

The fanatic: the one who knows the LPU tracks. He religiously supports that Primo is better than I'll Be Gone and he would kill to get all those instrumental Meteora demos with finished vocal lines. He also had fun watching each "Making Of" of the albums. This is the guy who's tired of setlists made of singles and wishes they would play Across the Line or Slip.

The worshipper: the one who knows the leaked songs and lots of underground information. He was soothed by She Couldn't and bounced his head to Fiends. He unlocked the easter eggs in Frat Party at the Pancake Festival and he knows Unicorns and Lollipops. Every atom of his body screams "Pictureboard" and every night he dreams about its famous forbidden sample. This is the guy who disappears for months because he's been trying to find a recording of the Relative Degree show.

Well, I hope you liked it, feel free to comment and expand upon the idea.

This is really funny, thanks for posting!

The fanatic: the one who knows the LPU tracks. He religiously supports that Primo is better than I'll Be Gone and he would kill to get all those instrumental Meteora demos with finished vocal lines. He also had fun watching each "Making Of" of the albums. This is the guy who's tired of setlists made of singles and wishes they would play Across the Line or Slip.

This fits me perfectly, I'm a huge fan of Primo, Across the Line, and Slip! :) I've even said to my brother before that I think Primo is better than I'll Be Gone.

The worshipper: the one who knows the leaked songs and lots of underground information. He was soothed by She Couldn't and bounced his head to Fiends. He unlocked the easter eggs in Frat Party at the Pancake Festival and he knows Unicorns and Lollipops. Every atom of his body screams "Pictureboard" and every night he dreams about its famous forbidden sample. This is the guy who disappears for months because he's been trying to find a recording of the Relative Degree show.

Me in a nutshell... I also want to add I dream of uncirculated live recordings as well as pictureboard

• 1 month later...
On 1/5/2019 at 11:51 PM, Kilmer said:

but let's be honest, Primo IS better than I'll Be Gone

*also cries in across the line deserved better*

but in all honesty, I'm a mix between this two

There are things I like about both versions. I think the chorus in the LIVING THINGS version is much better. But I love the verses and bridge and rest of the song in Primo more. If they had kept the verses and rest of the song in the style of the demo and just changed that chorus to what they came up with for the final product, it would have been great.

My biggest issue with Primo is that there's no way it would work on Living Things (sonically it fits better on ATS, but not so much thematically). It'd be such a jarring sonic and tonal shift. That's not to say IBG is better than Primo (they're both doing very different things and do their own respective things very well), but as far as putting together an album, IBG is a better choice than Primo

22 hours ago, SasstielExperience said:

My biggest issue with Primo is that there's no way it would work on Living Things (sonically it fits better on ATS, but not so much thematically). It'd be such a jarring sonic and tonal shift. That's not to say IBG is better than Primo (they're both doing very different things and do their own respective things very well), but as far as putting together an album, IBG is a better choice than Primo

Great point. It doesn't fit at all with LT. ATS and LT were actually quite different in terms of sound despite what some people say. The way that they made Primo into IBG on LT, it actually fit the LT sound way more. If you had put Primo on ATS, it would fit much more than it would on LT, I'm talking about the  demo we received on LPU 13. I'm sure it went under various other versions. But yeah. And it's a good example that the band went through some songs with multiple album processes. Look at a song like Ammosick which was started in the MTM process, didn't make the cut, and then was worked on again during the ATS process, but didn't make the cut once again. The band finally decided to release it on Mall in 2014. Neal Avron mixed it so it probably was mixed by him in 2010 with ATS  because he also mixed ATS, not just MTM. Powerless was another song that hailed from the ATS sessions but didn't make it and was worked on  again during LT and actually made the album. I'm sure the ATS version was a lot different, kind of like Primo. The band always crafts their albums so they feel cohesive so they want all the songs on the album to sound part of the album. Having Primo on LT in that form wouldn't have worked so they made it fit LT more with further work on the track. Even a song like the intro to ALITS, it was used several albums after ATS. White Noise was from THP sessions but it didn't make the cut and was released on Mall. I'm sure that if it made it onto THP, it would have been a little different, they probably would have got rid of the electronic/industrial bits and made it more straight forward rock (I know the song is still heavy AF but made it sound more THPish). Like I said they wanted to craft their albums to make them cohesive.

Edited by GarretLP

hahaha very funny dude, thanks for posting this. I kept reading try to find out which category I belong to, then I got to "The worshipper", i read the first sentence and im like oh 'that must be me' but then I see "He was soothed by She Couldn't and bounced his head to Fiends." and then im like 'naaah that aint me', i dont JUST bump my head to Fiends, i discovered that song so its like the national anthem to me xD (i mean its also my favourite among the 3 Rapology Xero tracks).